Join Early Retirement Today

80+ oil is a lock this week.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

80+ oil is a lock this week.

The north slope oil fields in alaska are now off line. 400,000 barrels a day from BP is off due to a spill and corrosion of the pipeline. They have no idea when it will be running again. That equals over 8% of total american production.

With the mess in the ME I can tell you from what I have read and heard over the weekend watch the sorry oil traders on monday morning. Ouch fear will drive the oil price this week.

Look out!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 80+ oil is a lock this week.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Didnt the fed guy just say to Congress America's oil production cant dent oil prices anymore. Will be interesting to see what happens this week.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #3

I am long oil as of about an hour ago.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Probably some speculative increases since Alaska oil is destined for the West Coast and there is no easy substitute except to send more tankers across the Pacific from the ME
Old 08-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is a lot of product that comes out of the Huston channel, but most of it is additives. Jeesh!! The west coast processors are all geared for AK crude.

No need to concern ourselves about increasing the pressure in the pipeline. There won't be enough product.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a Reuters link through Fidelity.

As of Sunday night:
"The outage, which will cut global daily oil output by about half a percent, sent U.S. crude oil futures 1.6 percent or $1.19 higher to $75.95 a barrel as dealers fear it will put more strain on a supply chain already working at near capacity.
BP said it shut down the pipeline on Sunday morning and had begun a phased shutdown of the Prudhoe Bay oil field after finding corrosion during an aggressive inspection programme that followed an unrelated 200,000-gallon spill discovered in March, the biggest ever recorded on the North Slope.
So far it has inspected 40 percent of its transit lines and is conducting speed inspections of the remainder, BP said."

"Speed inspections"-- I wish we had those in the military.

Anyway, bring it on. I've been looking for a buying opportunity and I was wondering if we'd have to wait until September.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:16 PM   #7

Fascinating reading here: http://hsgac.senate.gov/_files/REPOR...lGasPrices.pdf

I'm only halfway through reading it and have to put it aside for now, but it says that supply is keeping up with consumption and the amount of oil and gas in storage is extremely high. Because of increased consumption outside the US and some past problems in the supply chain (Iraq off-line, hurricanes beating up Gulf Coast facilities, etc.) there is less cushion in case of shocks (like Iran going crazy and declaring an embargo - or a pipeline going offline). But that does not account for $75 or $80 a bbl. Enron-like speculation and manipulation is adding about $25 a bbl to the price. The Senate report says the speculators are making money hand over fist and there is currently no way to track or regulate how they are manipulating the market to do that.

With Prudhoe Bay going offline I bet these guys are dying to get their hands on their trading terminals so they can see just how high they can make it go.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Most folks don't know that crude has a lot of 'grit'. It will erode the inside of a pipe. The elements in crude can also interact with the pipe (like minerals in water can interact with the inside of water lines). The only maritime employee of ARCO who flew first class a pump man. Without him the ship might as well been a cruse ship.

My son once remarked that oil traders made a huge profit in spite of themselves (when oil was under $35).

Old 08-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Got this from The Seattle Times today Major Alaskan oil field shutting down :

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/APW...D8JBBDSG0.html
Old 08-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Most folks don't know that crude has a lot of 'grit'. It will erode the inside of a pipe. The elements in crude can also interact with the pipe (like minerals in water can interact with the inside of water lines). The only maritime employee of ARCO who flew first class a pump man. Without him the ship might as well been a cruse ship.
BIL is director of engineering for a company that makes undersea exploration equipment. He was telling me about a 2 year project to fix a screw up in one of their products that was causing a leak on the sea floor. It was caused by the fact that somebody had painted a surface that wasn't supposed to be painted and the product had scoured it off, causing a very tiny fraction of an inch gap inside the equipment. Something on the order of 1/64th of an inch or thinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
My son once remarked that oil traders made a huge profit in spite of themselves (when oil was under $35).
Apparently they got smarter.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #11

Whatever the situation I say we maybe looking at 90+ a barrel.

There will be a major recession, you think housing prices were sliding last week?

Just wait.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:00 AM   #12

My money says $78 at the most this week.* Remember, this Alaska stuff will hurt some companies as it helps others.* If you are buying the crude be sure to look at the contracts a few months out to see what they are doing.* Not much is my early guess. If the Middle East takes an unexpected bad twist. (how many more can there be?) then we could exceed $78 this week.
Again, barring more MidEast trouble, I'm betting on a very nice drop in oil somewhere within the next 90 days.* Still high oil (meaning $50 plus) is here to stay so the oil service stocks continue to live at my house.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Whatever the situation I say we maybe looking at 90+ a barrel.

There will be a major recession, you think housing prices were sliding last week?

Just wait.
Ahhhh Oh Gaaaaaaa!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
If the Middle East takes an unexpected bad twist. (how many more can there be?)
Never say never
Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Ahhhh Oh Gaaaaaaa!
Here, lemme get that for you:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAOOGA dive alarm licence plate.JPG (32.7 KB, 339 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb AAOOGA dive alarm licence plate.JPG_thumb (18.2 KB, 0 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:29 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I venture that all stops are out to repair the problem in AK. *Until that time we have a supply disruption starting two weeks out. *Crude from different fields has different chemical properties. *It isn't easy for refineries to turn on a dime to adjust to another source. *What this means is that some west coast refineries may go off-line. *

On the north west coast the major pipeline goes north-south, the ships go north-south. *I seem to recall talk of a pipeline across Panama but I don't know if it was in the planning stage or had been built. *There may also be a line from TX through AZ to SCAL.* Whatever its status I doubt if they has the capacity to make up this loss. *The resource options are: transport by ship through the canal, bring it around S. America or buy it from our Asian neighbors. *

There is always an inventory in a couple ships sitting off-shore waiting for a contract. *I am absolutely sure that bidding for that inventory has been hot.

We may be back to alternate day of the week fill-ups for a month.

[modified to add time line]
Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
If the Middle East takes an unexpected bad twist. (how many more can there be?)
I don't think there is such a thing as an unexpected bad twist in most people's mind. After all, would you really be surprised if Iran supplied a dirty bomb to hezbolla (sp?)? Or if Al-queda hit and disrupted oil in Saudi Arabia?

Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras
I don't think there is such a thing as an unexpected bad twist in most people's mind.* After all, would you really be surprised if Iran supplied a dirty bomb to hezbolla (sp?)?* Or if Al-queda hit and disrupted oil in Saudi Arabia?

All those events fall under the expected--only the time/date/faces/places remain to be seen.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

What gets me is:

BP (British Petroleum) owns a pipeline that U.S. taxpayers dollars paid for.* *
Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateCNBC
What gets me is:

BP (British Petroleum) owns a pipeline that U.S. taxpayers dollars paid for.
IHateCNBC:

For what it's worth.

The Alaska Pipeline website indicates that it was privately funded.