Join Early Retirement Today

$95000 no taxes
Old 12-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

$95000 no taxes

The Go Curry Cracker 2014 Taxes - Go Curry Cracker!Go Curry Cracker!

I don't have access to my tax returns for a week or so and this is driving me nuts.

Is this possible? Off the top of my head my return looks very very very very (did I say very) similar. Married jointly no kids. Did a Roth Conversion for $40k, $10k in Dividends cap gains etc.... but paid about $13K fed and $5k state.

Do I need a new accountant? Anyone in similar situation achieving anything close? I am trying to get ACA subsidies on exchange by 12/15 and no access to returns is killing me.....

I'm in South Carolina...

Thx

Wally

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is easily possible. Lots of members of this forum have higher incomes and pay zero taxes. One needs to use tax software to see how it all shakes out and also to plan ahead.

Here is another discussion on paying ZERO income taxes:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87471

You suggest that you have no access to your tax returns, so you must be on vacationi or travelling for work. Accountant? You should probably think about being your own accountant.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is more of your income from w*rk rather than capital gains? Such income is not taxed as favorably.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69 View Post

I don't have access to my tax returns for a week or so and this is driving me nuts.

Is this possible? Off the top of my head my return looks very very very very (did I say very) similar. Married jointly no kids. Did a Roth Conversion for $40k, $10k in Dividends cap gains etc.... but paid about $13K fed and $5k state.

Do I need a new accountant? Anyone in similar situation achieving anything close? I am trying to get ACA subsidies on exchange by 12/15 and no access to returns is killing me.....

I'm in South Carolina...

Thx

Wally
The difference is in the Roth conversion amount:

"We also had imaginary income of $52,469, as a result of a Roth IRA Conversion of $5,744 and harvesting long term capital gains of $46,725"

Their long term capital gain: $46,725 is not taxed if the tax rate is 15% or below.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Dunno about a new accountant but better tax planning for sure. For MFJ, you'd need around $100,000 in ordinary income to get to $13K federal income tax (standard deduction). If you wish to receive ACA subsidies, you might want to reduce or stop the Roth conversions.

The reason they barely pay any income is because of the type of income source. In 2015, for MFJ with standard deduction and exemption, you can have up to $20.6K ($12,600+$8,000) in ordinary income (taxed at 0%) and $74.9K in qualified dividends and long term capital gains and your federal income tax will be $0. More if you have foreign tax credit to offset the income tax or itemize deductions to reduce taxable income.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Your situation is quite different. He has $77k of tax preferenced income ($30k qualified dividends and $47k of long term capital gains) which has a zero tax rate. You only have $10k. Big difference.

But if your only income is $10k of qualified dividends and $40k Roth conversion then $13k in federal tax is way too much... it should be about $2k... there must be something else that you are not remembering.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

thx called a neighbor and he is fedexing me my tax return and should have monday.

thx for the quick response.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If you did a Roth conversion in 2015 that was too much, then you can recharacterize it (undo it).
Old 12-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Does ACA MAGI count qualified dividends and long term capital gains as income? So if you want ACA subsidies, you need to keep all your income below approximately $63,000 or 400% of the federal poverty level for 2 people, right?

Racing for the FIRE finish line, but I don't know where it is.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
Does ACA MAGI count qualified dividends and long term capital gains as income? So if you want ACA subsidies, you need to keep all your income below approximately $63,000 or 400% of the federal poverty level for 2 people, right?

Racing for the FIRE finish line, but I don't know where it is.
Yes. Also see http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/pdf/..._summary13.pdf
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Wally
They way he did it was having over $77k in non-taxed income when below the top of the 15% bracket (LTCG, QDivies, and tax free interest (munis)). You note last year you did a $40k Roth conversion -- likely mostly taxable.
Now if you are really shooting for a ACA subsidy.. you may have a better shot at dropping your tax rate, but maybe not a huge Roth conversion.

I would look at where your income is coming from. This is very important if you want to minimize taxes. If you want a subsidy, your limit will be much lower than the top of the 15% bracket (at least for two people). Muni income will count toward ACA MAGI.