Join Early Retirement Today

A 57 yr old unsure if he can retire article
Old 04-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

A 57 yr old unsure if he can retire article

I am not sure what the point of this article is. He has $1M in invested assets. He has 15 years of a mortgage left. He has an unspecified amount of income from rental property. If I added up his monthly spending in 2015 correctly his starting WR is 7%. Given what I know from the article I would not be comfortable spending that much. Your thoughts?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-...150000517.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No thoughts yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Keep trying!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #4

Well without knowing much and assuming he would get $20,000 a year in SS starting in 2020 Firecalc gives his odds between 50 and 57% for 30 years. I thought his spending was too aggressive. What I don't understand is what the author of the article is trying to accomplish, I don't see where readers can comment and there is no conclusion to the article, so what is the point? Seems like another piece of financial junk reading but maybe I am missing something.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Readers can comment. It's down toward the bottom and already has 450+ comments.

I think if he redoes his spending, he'd probably be okay. Bummer that he didn't get his mortgage paid off while he was earning $120k though.

Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #6

The article was confusing. His goal was to retire at 50. Changes jobs after turning 50 and continues working, then gets laid off and now at 57 trying to decide if he should work until 60. For a planner and tracker of spending, he didn't appear to plan well.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think he could, he has a well padded budget, I didn't run his numbers just looked over the chart.

For example he has a budget for entertainment, eating out, travel and boating. whew, that's a lot of non essential "stuff".
Also why did his home insurance jump up 700 bucks?

He also doesn't mention other stuff. does he have a pension, annuity, social security.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote