Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, since I have been in a mental bunker for the last six months reading the entirety of this blog has been refreshing I need to think seriously about my medium term plans.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

What an awesome blog, thank you for sharing!

Status: Saving. Started in Oct 2011, I am ~9 months ahead of where I expected to be and about ~3 months ahead of my desired schedule.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Health Care:

Exposed! The MMM Family’s Actual Spending | Mr. Money Mustache

Update: After writing this article, many people asked about health insurance. Right now, Mrs. M. has negotiated some “free” coverage as part of her pay from a part-time employer. Without that coverage, we would get a high-deductible plan for about $240 – $320 per month for the family, as described in a later health insurance article. This is indeed a significant cost at about 15% of our future annual spending – luckily the cashflow from retirement assets is already high enough to cover this expense if we did quit the part-time work eventually.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Well, since I have been in a mental bunker for the last six months reading the entirety of this blog has been refreshing I need to think seriously about my medium term plans.
Carpentry or home brewing?

I've had my eyes opened wide to the marvelous world of personal-financial blogging for money. There must be something similar for home brewers, even if it's just AdSense ads for keggerator kits.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
I thought the same thing Brewer. He is "retired" from the corp rat race and works for himself. I would still take that any day tho!

I liked the post about the 50% and 2% rule for rental properties. There is no way that would work up in my neck of the woods but it is a good sanity check/rule of thumb.
Thanks, that was my comment he was blogging on.

As far as is he retired or not, Jacob from earlyretirementextreme gets the same questions all the time, but frankly I'm surprised to see them from is crowd.

If he has enough assets to quit his job, live off that income, and do nothing, it seems that he's retired. So he quits his job, but then decides to do some things, like carpentry, that make a little money, does that mean he isn't ER? Come on. We've seen that debate before, I'm surprised to see it in this thread from some of the people that are saying it.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post

If he has enough assets to quit his job, live off that income, and do nothing, it seems that he's retired. So he quits his job, but then decides to do some things, like carpentry, that make a little money, does that mean he isn't ER? Come on. We've seen that debate before, I'm surprised to see it in this thread from some of the people that are saying it.
Would that make said people complainypants?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

As a side note and at the risk of sounding like a complainypants, I do not like his use of vulgar four letter words from time to time. Its a turn off. To me financial independence is care free and stress free, so I wonder why he feels the need to use vulgar profanity? I associate vulgar profanity with stress, anger and strong irritation.

I am tempted to comment to him about it, but I may not bother.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrad
As a side note and at the risk of sounding like a complainypants, I do not like his use of vulgar four letter words from time to time. Its a turn off. To me financial independence is care free and stress free, so I wonder why he feels the need to use vulgar profanity? I associate vulgar profanity with stress, anger and strong irritation.

Many have already. As you have guessed, some like it and some don't. Kind of like this forums viewpoints on public pensions Without the profanity of course!
Old 10-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrad

I see it as part of his "persona."
Old 10-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
I see it as part of his "persona."
+1 That's what I thought too.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrad View Post
... To me financial independence is care free and stress free, so I wonder why he feels the need to use vulgar profanity? I associate vulgar profanity with stress, anger and strong irritation.

I started swearing more when it was my own time and I was free.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Suspect it goes along with the shoulder-chip that Brewer detected. The blogger's rhetoric reminds me of a couple of people I've known - who are a tad-bit insecure - can't help themselves. They are the type who sometimes make fun of my vocabulary.

Amethyst

Quote:
I wonder why he feels the need to use vulgar profanity? I associate vulgar profanity with stress, anger and strong irritation.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #33

Amethyst, I'm not sure I agree with you or Brewer, but I usually do.

I discovered something after I left my mother's house. (Dad was there too, but on this subject he wasn't there.)

Her words are her. Mom is someone who taught us all some French when were very young. She corrected our grammar and speech when we were tiny, immediately. I can remember going to college and hearing slang and never adopting it, because it is not a word. The thing is, Amethyst, I would not even know how.

Mom was an editorial page editor for a business magazine and studied French and English in school.

But all the time, all I ever saw, when she was freaking mad about something, really mad, she would say "G- damn it". Always a G ...... not God, when she said it.

I do not swear every day, but it's there with a smile when I do.

I'm guessing MMM has his own experience with this (new or old) and it just flows. I didn't see Brewer's chip, but I like you both.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Hi Kat,

That is an interesting story about your Mother's influence on your own language. When my mother was provoked, she would say - with the greatest menace imaginable - "Oh, foot!"

I don't mean to say that people who swear, have personality problems...or even that MMM has...I don't know him personally. I don't care for foul language, but it doesn't keep me from seeing the sense in many of MMM's comments. And I like his story of his and wife's rise from nothing, to ER, in only 9 years, while raising a family.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Amethyst, I'm not sure I agree with you or Brewer, but I usually do.

But all the time, all I ever saw, when she was freaking mad about something, really mad, she would say "G- damn it". Always a G ...... not God, when she said it.

I do not swear every day, but it's there with a smile when I do.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Hi Kat,

. When my mother was provoked, she would say - with the greatest menace imaginable - "Oh, foot!"

Amethyst
You made me laugh..... a lot!

Kate
Old 10-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #36

Quote:

Same here.
  1. I always thought potty mouths wanted attention.
  2. Then I learned some potty mouths don't know any better.
  3. Then I learned the younger generation doesn't know what potty mouth means.
I think this blogger is in the third category. He just doesn't know...... He's in a generation or in a peer group that finds the "f" word acceptable as normal vernacular.

I started reading his blog last night and find it interesting and entertaining. I'm overlooking the (what I feel is) inappropriate verbiage.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Prudypants!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #38

Al, I was going to find the emoticon that covered this....

Then I said hey, what's that "thanks" tab sitting right next to the "quote" tab so I tried that instead just because I felt like it, but didn't see what that did.

So here's another try.....
Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I bet that in real life MMM is a nice guy who's just using his Internet persona to attract blog traffic.

Either that or he's setting himself up for another Millionaire Mommy Next Door flameout...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Either that or he's setting himself up for another Millionaire Mommy Next Door flameout...
He seems too rational for that.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote