A blog by an ER'd person - that I stumbled upon today

If he has enough assets to quit his job, live off that income, and do nothing, it seems that he's retired. So he quits his job, but then decides to do some things, like carpentry, that make a little money, does that mean he isn't ER? Come on. We've seen that debate before, I'm surprised to see it in this thread from some of the people that are saying it.

Would that make said people complainypants? :)

As a side note and at the risk of sounding like a complainypants, I do not like his use of vulgar four letter words from time to time. Its a turn off. To me financial independence is care free and stress free, so I wonder why he feels the need to use vulgar profanity? I associate vulgar profanity with stress, anger and strong irritation.

I am tempted to comment to him about it, but I may not bother.

rcbrad said:
As a side note and at the risk of sounding like a complainypants, I do not like his use of vulgar four letter words from time to time. Its a turn off. To me financial independence is care free and stress free, so I wonder why he feels the need to use vulgar profanity? I associate vulgar profanity with stress, anger and strong irritation.

Many have already. As you have guessed, some like it and some don't. Kind of like this forums viewpoints on public pensions :) Without the profanity of course!

rcbrad said:

I see it as part of his "persona."

... To me financial independence is care free and stress free, so I wonder why he feels the need to use vulgar profanity? I associate vulgar profanity with stress, anger and strong irritation.

I started swearing more when it was my own time and I was free. :)

Suspect it goes along with the shoulder-chip that Brewer detected. The blogger's rhetoric reminds me of a couple of people I've known - who are a tad-bit insecure - can't help themselves. They are the type who sometimes make fun of my vocabulary. :LOL:

Amethyst

I wonder why he feels the need to use vulgar profanity? I associate vulgar profanity with stress, anger and strong irritation.

Amethyst, I'm not sure I agree with you or Brewer, but I usually do.

I discovered something after I left my mother's house. (Dad was there too, but on this subject he wasn't there.)

Her words are her. Mom is someone who taught us all some French when were very young. She corrected our grammar and speech when we were tiny, immediately. I can remember going to college and hearing slang and never adopting it, because it is not a word. The thing is, Amethyst, I would not even know how.

Mom was an editorial page editor for a business magazine and studied French and English in school.

But all the time, all I ever saw, when she was freaking mad about something, really mad, she would say "G- damn it". Always a G ...... not God, when she said it.

I do not swear every day, but it's there with a smile when I do.

I'm guessing MMM has his own experience with this (new or old) and it just flows. I didn't see Brewer's chip, but I like you both.

Hi Kat,

That is an interesting story about your Mother's influence on your own language. When my mother was provoked, she would say - with the greatest menace imaginable - "Oh, foot!"

I don't mean to say that people who swear, have personality problems...or even that MMM has...I don't know him personally. I don't care for foul language, but it doesn't keep me from seeing the sense in many of MMM's comments. And I like his story of his and wife's rise from nothing, to ER, in only 9 years, while raising a family.

Amethyst

Amethyst, I'm not sure I agree with you or Brewer, but I usually do.

But all the time, all I ever saw, when she was freaking mad about something, really mad, she would say "G- damn it". Always a G ...... not God, when she said it.

I do not swear every day, but it's there with a smile when I do.

Same here.
  1. I always thought potty mouths wanted attention.
  2. Then I learned some potty mouths don't know any better.
  3. Then I learned the younger generation doesn't know what potty mouth means.
I think this blogger is in the third category. He just doesn't know...... He's in a generation or in a peer group that finds the "f" word acceptable as normal vernacular.

I started reading his blog last night and find it interesting and entertaining. I'm overlooking the (what I feel is) inappropriate verbiage.

Al, I was going to find the emoticon that covered this....

Then I said hey, what's that "thanks" tab sitting right next to the "quote" tab so I tried that instead just because I felt like it, but didn't see what that did.

So here's another try.....:2funny:

I bet that in real life MMM is a nice guy who's just using his Internet persona to attract blog traffic.

Either that or he's setting himself up for another Millionaire Mommy Next Door flameout...

I bet that in real life MMM is a nice guy who's just using his Internet persona to attract blog traffic.

Either that or he's setting himself up for another Millionaire Mommy Next Door flameout...

I had not thought of that site in a while. It does appear she has not made a post in over a year. is she back at weork with her husband?

I don't read finance blogs; and none of the type being discussed here. "Look how great I am, I quit being working at a job and now I work at a blog. Aren't I marvelous?"

I do read various economics and oil and interest rate blogs, there are many excellent ones. Unfortunately it would consume pretty much the whole day to do much of this. A good to the point blog for me is one operated by a member here, The Finance Buff. The Finance Buff I even bought his book on TIPS back when there were still some positive interest rates available. IMO, it is very helpful in understanding the nuts and bolts of TIPS which may one day again become useful.

I also read FT.com regularly.

Thanks for posting. He sounds entertaining from the quick look over I did on his site. I'll have to subscribe to it.

This Prudypants (still laughing over that!) thoroughly enjoyed his observations in the "ivy league education" article.

On a side note - did anyone else ever get their mouth washed out with soap when they used potty-mouth words as a young 'un? Better yet, my m-grandmother would make us go to the willow tree and cut the switch she would use to blister our backsides for using such language. Now-a-days that's considered child abuse. Back then it was considered a lesson.

This Prudypants (still laughing over that!) thoroughly enjoyed his observations in the "ivy league education" article.

On a side note - did anyone else ever get their mouth washed out with soap when they used potty-mouth words as a young 'un? Better yet, my m-grandmother would make us go to the willow tree and cut the switch she would use to blister our backsides for using such language. Now-a-days that's considered child abuse. Back then it was considered a lesson.

The worst part was when you cut the switch and then got chewed out for cutting one that was too slender. And then being told that if the next one wasn't big enough (however big that might be, a complete unknown to me), you'd be in for a lot more punishment than otherwise. I tearfully cut some switches that I think might have doubled as baseball bats. :eek:

Back on topic, the blog being discussed does look interesting and I did go there and read a little.

Child abuse for the 'switchin' and child endangerment for the knife they gave us to go cut the switch. My parents would have been imprisoned today for how they treated me!

My case too. Not a switch but a belt. But I always preferred getting spanked to getting lectured. And those grammar lectures were the worst...

I still remember being slapped across the face by my dad the first time I used a potty-mouth word in front of him. His wedding band did hurt when it hit the cheekbone.

Is this supposed to be a good thing, like part of the good old days? Or is it clear that using an off color expression is a tiny infraction compared to hitting your child across the face, or giving him a beating?

Like REW says, these things would land a parent in jail today.

In the old days knowing that you could do it meant you didn't have to. Today they know you can't and you have mobs of 17 year olds in Chicago attacking adults for their cellphones because they know their infraction is "minor" compared to whatever discipline an adult might impose.

Back
Top Bottom