Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I bet that in real life MMM is a nice guy who's just using his Internet persona to attract blog traffic.

Either that or he's setting himself up for another Millionaire Mommy Next Door flameout...
I had not thought of that site in a while. It does appear she has not made a post in over a year. is she back at weork with her husband?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't read finance blogs; and none of the type being discussed here. "Look how great I am, I quit being working at a job and now I work at a blog. Aren't I marvelous?"

I do read various economics and oil and interest rate blogs, there are many excellent ones. Unfortunately it would consume pretty much the whole day to do much of this. A good to the point blog for me is one operated by a member here, The Finance Buff. The Finance Buff I even bought his book on TIPS back when there were still some positive interest rates available. IMO, it is very helpful in understanding the nuts and bolts of TIPS which may one day again become useful.

I also read FT.com regularly.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for posting. He sounds entertaining from the quick look over I did on his site. I'll have to subscribe to it.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

This Prudypants (still laughing over that!) thoroughly enjoyed his observations in the "ivy league education" article.

On a side note - did anyone else ever get their mouth washed out with soap when they used potty-mouth words as a young 'un? Better yet, my m-grandmother would make us go to the willow tree and cut the switch she would use to blister our backsides for using such language. Now-a-days that's considered child abuse. Back then it was considered a lesson.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
This Prudypants (still laughing over that!) thoroughly enjoyed his observations in the "ivy league education" article.

On a side note - did anyone else ever get their mouth washed out with soap when they used potty-mouth words as a young 'un? Better yet, my m-grandmother would make us go to the willow tree and cut the switch she would use to blister our backsides for using such language. Now-a-days that's considered child abuse. Back then it was considered a lesson.
The worst part was when you cut the switch and then got chewed out for cutting one that was too slender. And then being told that if the next one wasn't big enough (however big that might be, a complete unknown to me), you'd be in for a lot more punishment than otherwise. I tearfully cut some switches that I think might have doubled as baseball bats.

Back on topic, the blog being discussed does look interesting and I did go there and read a little.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Child abuse for the 'switchin' and child endangerment for the knife they gave us to go cut the switch. My parents would have been imprisoned today for how they treated me!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #47

My case too. Not a switch but a belt. But I always preferred getting spanked to getting lectured. And those grammar lectures were the worst...
Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post

I still remember being slapped across the face by my dad the first time I used a potty-mouth word in front of him. His wedding band did hurt when it hit the cheekbone.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Is this supposed to be a good thing, like part of the good old days? Or is it clear that using an off color expression is a tiny infraction compared to hitting your child across the face, or giving him a beating?

Like REW says, these things would land a parent in jail today.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the old days knowing that you could do it meant you didn't have to. Today they know you can't and you have mobs of 17 year olds in Chicago attacking adults for their cellphones because they know their infraction is "minor" compared to whatever discipline an adult might impose.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Damn kids! Get off my lawn!

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
In the old days knowing that you could do it meant you didn't have to. Today they know you can't and you have mobs of 17 year olds in Chicago attacking adults for their cellphones because they know their infraction is "minor" compared to whatever discipline an adult might impose.
This is sure a big jump. From laying of the physical punishment for what someone chooses to call potty mouth, but which is typical of almost every high school and college student, and likely most adults today- to ignoring theft and assault.

Need a logic check?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Funniest thing my sainted mother ever did was run a wet bar of Ivory soap around the inside of my mouth for saying this horrifying expletive: "poo poo."
Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We seem to be getting way, way off topic. I tactfully propose we go back to the OP.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Funniest thing my sainted mother ever did was run a wet bar of Ivory soap around the inside of my mouth for saying this horrifying expletive: "poo poo."
Oh my, I'm SHOCKED at your foul language, I tell you! SHOCKED!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
......... His wedding band did hurt when it hit the cheekbone.
I guess that is one advantage of being a little bastard.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I can still taste the soap in my mind.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
We seem to be getting way, way off topic. I tactfully propose we go back to the OP.
We do that around here.

I think the blogger has a little frustration at the folks who say they can't do what he's doing because of x y or z, and I also just think the language is part of his persona.

And my dad would tell us he was going to get his belt. That would give us ample time to get the hell out of his sight, either by fleeing to the safety of the outdoors, or to our rooms, or wherever so we'd stop irritating him. That was solution enough for him. No actual belt whippings, just threats.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
The best way to accomplish that is with an on-topic post...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think he needs a Whineypants in addition to Complainypaints. CP just complains. WP is always the victim of unfortunate circumstances and bemoans that fact to all. You hear a lot of coulda/woulda/shoulda's in WP's life philosopy.