Join Early Retirement Today

A Dip or a Blip?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A Dip or a Blip?

My portfolio is teeny... not a big thing, but I'd love to hear from my more financially savvy friends, how they see the future of the market... For simplicity, the DJIA.
Not the reason, and no politics, but just your personal thinking about the future.
Tomorrow... One Month... One Year... Five years.

As I type... DJIA -$279.

And... maybe one more thing...
What, if anything would cause you to make a change in your current basic plan... ie. how big a dip? %?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

Who knows?

Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

Who cares?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

On average, up.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

No one knows. But we all make some kind of assumptions, possibly VERY general assumptions, that we base our investment decisions on. Here's mine

Looking at the big picture, I assume the market will continue to go up over time. Wouldn't be invested in it if I didn't think that. I'm hoping to get 5% real return per year over the next several years but my happiness does not count on it. My budget will adjust as needed if market returns are really bad.

Shorter term, I expect and plan for dips in the market. "Normal" dips of 10-20% wouldn't surprise me at all, anytime. However, our retirement financial plans assume we might have a much bigger dip (40%) maybe once in the next 8 yrs or so that we have to be able to handle without selling off equities at a loss. Since our plans include expectation of such dips, don't see us changing anything if they occur.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My portfolio is teeny... not a big thing, but I'd love to hear from my more financially savvy friends, how they see the future of the market... For simplicity, the DJIA.
Not the reason, and no politics, but just your personal thinking about the future.

As I type... DJIA -$279.

And... maybe one more thing...
What, if anything would cause you to make a change in your current basic plan... ie. how big a dip? %?
Tomorrow -??
One month - ??
One year - ??
Five year - probably up.

Total economic collapse in the US would cause me to change my basic plan. Short of that, automatic rebalancing and DCA is good enough for me.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

Sure there's a big drop today... and it might be part of a larger correction. If it changes enough - I'll rebalance. Same as if it went up by a lot.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #8

No change in strategy regardless of dips, blips, flips. Basically take what I have left and divide by years I have left.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Over 5 yrs it's less than a blip...

Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

History says there should be at least a correction and more likely a bear market in the next two or three years because this bull market has gone on for longer than most or all past bulls. For this reason I'm sitting on a pot of cash that normally I'd have put in the market already. If the market drops I'll buy stock, if it moves sideways I'll slowly buy stock and if it keeps climbing I'll have to admit I was wrong, but it won't hurt much since I don't need the money.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #11

300 points in a 20,000 point DOW is peanuts. Not even worth Talking about. Come back when it is 2000 points down and we can talk.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This might be the beginning of the "sell in May and go away". But who knows?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #13

Be very diversified. It's going to be a wild ride. Where it ends up is anybody's guess.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I have been too busy with our house renovation to keep track of the market or anything else. I am letting my investments ride for now.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #15

I did not hear about the drop until I saw this thread because I was busy power washing my deck. I don't follow the daily fluctuations of the market as I have no plans to deviate from my AA.

I have three years of living expenses in cash and short term bonds before I have to sell something....
Old 05-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The market always goes up, over the long haul. Short haul, it can be a rough ride. When I retired a couple years ago, I did so with a chunk of cash as a hedge against sequence-of-returns risk. I began drawing from my IRA last year, selling a bit at each new high to replenish my cash. In the (highly unlikely) event of another Great Recession, I'm just going to leave my IRA alone until the market recovers.

Funny thing: we've gotten used to a very placid market. Today it's suddenly a little volatile and the financial press is sounding Fear! Fire! Foes! This ain't nuthin'
Old 05-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
300 points in a 20,000 point DOW is peanuts. Not even worth Talking about. Come back when it is 2000 points down and we can talk.
+1
But I did make a (very) small buy on this dip. Every dip I try to grab a small deal.

I see the market going up in general with perhaps some more buying opportunities along the way.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
... the future.
No clue ... No Clue ... No Clue ... Probably higher than today.

Quote:
... What, if anything would cause you to make a change in your current basic plan... ie. how big a dip? %?
2,000 point drop I'm thinking seriously about buying. >3,000 point drop I am definitely a buyer.

I am never a seller on a market drop. That is the buy-high, sell-low strategy that is the hallmark of naive amateurs.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

1000 or 2000 point gain or drop would not change my allocation percentage. I like and understand my investments. I have enough cash/future pension dollars that I wouldn't need to sell any stocks/funds for quite some time.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #20

Nobody knows, but I vote blip.