A "drunk" Bernanke slams economy

Dora, The Onion is satirical. No one is immune from their barbs, liberal or conservative, politician or public figure. It is recognized as humor. Take a look around the site.

That was great.I almost soiled my pants laughing so loud

Whattaya mean almost? :LOL:

Can't be true. Uncle Ben is to busy oiling up the printing press to go bar hopping. Also has to come up with a new name for QE 3.Real estate bubbles are popping all over the globe. Europe is imploding. Is it true he created 16 trillion last time around and lent it to foreign banks? Hard for me to get my head around that one. Interesting times ahead. I'm heading for the bar.

The FRB has its own private bar...

So I am a bit curious how this is not considered libel?

Is it just because he is a public figure? Could I post an article stating I saw Obama with a prostitute and not worry about libel?
Satire is generally considered to be protected speech and immune to libel suits -- especially when no "reasonable person" would actually believe something in the Onion is true.

Satire is generally considered to be protected speech and immune to libel suits -- especially when no "reasonable person" would actually believe something in the Onion is true.

Ah ok. I was just curious. I did find the article amusing, but was a little shocked at how detailed they made it.

I would not do this type of satire in Italy...just saying...

After today's 500 point crash, I am beginning to think that the Fed leaked the story to the Onion.

Ah ok. I was just curious. I did find the article amusing, but was a little shocked at how detailed they made it.

I would not do this type of satire in Italy...just saying...
Italian law may very well not protect satire in the same way as U.S. law does. I certainly wouldn't assume it.

Back
Top Bottom