Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH is getting an iPhone in the near future (which requires the $30/mo "data" plan in addition to the regular costs) because he wants needs has earned deserves it but I'm thinking of the pay to play service for myself. The end cost will be not much higher than the total $90 we pay now for the two-line plan.
BWE, if your DH doesn't really need the data plan (ie, can use wifi most of the time or uses it just like an iTouch), then you might want to consider buying an iPhone used, like eBay or Craigslist. I bought my iPhone 2G for about $200. While the 2G/3G data is nice to have, I'm not prepared to pay $30/month for it.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think this article applies to insurance too. I have been with the same insurance company for years. I keep meaning to compare the rates with other companies but haven't got around to it yet.

I know my rates have gone up every year.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
While subscription is a nice analogy, I would suggest that inertia is a big factor for me.

When we both retired, we went to an empty slate and decided what we needed. One Visa and one MC both with two cards, for example. One landline and 2 paygo cell phones. No subscriptions. Each have a no-fee checking account. Own investment accounts. High speed internet.

Have not looked at all the new options that have developed in the last 7 years. Inertia! Plus I hate buying because most offerings are so opaque that it takes much digging to find out what is really being offered.

(The generation gap has developed with texting and twitter...)
Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
nowadays is $50 to $100 a month and that is "normal." Back in the "good ol" days paying $20 monthly to that monopoly AT&T seems like heaven now.
I agree with you about just wanting basic stuff. To be fair, however, note that $20 in 1980 is equivalent to about $52 today, adjusted for inflation.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Bro was paying $21.71/mo for POTS. Even touchtone would have been extra!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Actually they are...as long as I don't have to stand in them long...which I usually don't.
I SO wanted to ask... but didn't dare.
LoftyNotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
BWE, if your DH doesn't really need the data plan (ie, can use wifi most of the time or uses it just like an iTouch), then you might want to consider buying an iPhone used, like eBay or Craigslist. I bought my iPhone 2G for about $200. While the 2G/3G data is nice to have, I'm not prepared to pay $30/month for it.
That is what stopped us from getting an Iphone. That 30 a month for the data plan. Pretty happy with our LG Incite. You can store contacts and has a schedule calender. Browse the internet pretty well. But it lacks any real useful apps.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #48

Quote:
PROFESSOR OKADA, who has studied how marketers persuade consumers to replace what they have, says, “People don’t upgrade as frequently as they should if they were acting rationally.”
It would be a lot more persuasive if she would provide some reasonable explanation for that view, rather than simply stating it as a self-evident proposition. I have difficulty understanding why it would be "rational" (either cost-effective, or environmentally friendly) for someone to shell out for a 'new and improved!!!' vehicle, home or electronic gadget every couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I think this article applies to insurance too. I have been with the same insurance company for years. I keep meaning to compare the rates with other companies but haven't got around to it yet.
Me too.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:49 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I have seen the "doublethink" in friends who will shop extensively to save a few dollars. but they are paying sky high rates for insurance, phone service, car repairs and others. what they save on their new shopping items is tiny when compared to what is leaking out of their budgets every month.