Join Early Retirement Today

A Growing Cult of Millennials Is Obsessed With Early Retirement.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A Growing Cult of Millennials Is Obsessed With Early Retirement.

from Flipboard :

A Growing Cult of Millennials Is Obsessed With Early Retirement. This 72-Year-Old Is Their Unlikely Inspiration

http://A Growing Cult of Millennials...ly Retirement.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
from Flipboard :

A Growing Cult of Millennials Is Obsessed With Early Retirement. This 72-Year-Old Is Their Unlikely Inspiration

http://A Growing Cult of Millennials...ly Retirement.
Bad link.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is it you>>?? Is it W2R? Is it Nord? tell us.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
gone traveling

Meet Vicki Robin, the FIRE Early Retirement Community Idol | Money
Working link
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

OK. I really didn't see the reason for quoting the west coast gal about "Midwest Minions." Why does everything have to have a divisive part to it? This is unnecessary code language.

The article was good until this sad quote was included.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
OK. I really didn't see the reason for quoting the west coast gal about "Midwest Minions." Why does everything have to have a divisive part to it? This is unnecessary code language.

Agree 110%. Why is it that almost all of these kinds of articles either dis those who are able to do it and/or have to try to be divisive. The fact of the matter is that many people have bad spending habits, and whether you have a high paying job or not, learning to have a budget and and understanding of your spending and compound growth of savings is beneficial whether you FIRE or not.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
...it’s easy to fetishize a life of home brewing and farming in bucolic Vermont or rural Virginia. But actually home brewing and farming can be lonely and backbreaking work...
I dunno, I rather enjoy home brewing in rural Virginia and have no desire whatsoever to go back to w*rk.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:51 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Millennials should respect their elders...by funding social security instead of retiring early
Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed Your Money or Your Life and have read other interviews with Vicki Robin. She has been an inspiration to me.

I really don't get the part in the article about having to fill time or dying early. Commuting, working long hours and sitting at a desk all day never seemed like a healthy lifestyle compared to how we live now. And we easily fill our time and stay pleasantly busy with day trips, hobbies, clubs, house projects, yard work, hiking, etc.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:43 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The internal social media where I work, has several 30-something bloggers who focus on LBYM, saving, investing, and financial independence.

They don't say much about early retirement, probably because they are at work and it might look awkward.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I enjoyed Your Money or Your Life and have read other interviews with Vicki Robin. She has been an inspiration to me.

I really don't get the part in the article about having to fill time or dying early. Commuting, working long hours and sitting at a desk all day never seemed like a healthy lifestyle compared to how we live now. And we easily fill our time and stay pleasantly busy with day trips, hobbies, clubs, house projects, yard work, hiking, etc.
So many of these articles, and the discussions they inspire, ignore a middle ground. The middle ground being what is sometimes referred to as "a life in balance", which includes some satisfying gainful employment. While "commuting, working long hours and sitting at a desk all day" probably is not a healthy lifestyle, it is not the ONLY alternative to early retirement.
LBYM may be a great avenue for "early-ish" retirement, it is also a great way to be able to enjoy a career that doesn't require twisting one's life out of balance by commuting, working long hours, etc. etc.

I'm 64, RE'd at 62. I'm happy I had the 40 year career I had, but it was a challenge to put that career into a balanced lifestyle that included family, spiritual growth, and personal space. The life I lived the last 20 years of my career was not the life I envisioned in the early days. I had to learn to throttle back the desire to make more and more money (i.e. work longer and harder) and establish the balance that worked for me and my family.

If I were counseling a young person who is burnt out by his/her career choice, I would encourage them to spend some time examining the middle ground between what is making them miserable, and the idea of completely dropping out of the working world.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

...and that's where I stopped reading. Don't need another lecture about my "privilege" and how it really wasn't that hard for me to get here.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post

+1
Have no issues filling my time and sometimes that even means doing nothing.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Don't need another lecture about my "privilege" and how it really wasn't that hard for me to get here.
Downhill both ways, through sunshine and rainbows?
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

That was my reaction to the title, the other 'M' word. IMO pretty much every article that has this or the 'B' word in its title works this way.
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Oh, you know why. It generates more clicks and comments, where the dissers get to feel smug, while the dissed parties get up on their high horses and defend themselves and attack the other side.

Straightforward reporting does not generate as much activity, which is why all the newspapers were dying, and resorted to clickbait to save themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Why is it that almost all of these kinds of articles either dis those who are able to do it and/or have to try to be divisive.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #17

What the h*ck is "flipboard" ?

probably something to do with snapgram or instachat.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
What the h*ck is "flipboard" ?

probably something to do with snapgram or instachat.
It is an app, a news reader, you dinosaur!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
...and that's where I stopped reading.
And I know lots of people with the opposite perspective who stop reading when an article goes down a philosophical path opposed to theirs. Is anything well-served by folks keeping themselves so insulated from the opposite perspective?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
And I know lots of people with the opposite perspective who stop reading when an article goes down a philosophical path opposed to theirs. Is anything well-served by folks keeping themselves so insulated from the opposite perspective?
Not when there is name calling.