Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

A helpful TurboTax Feature
Old 12-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A helpful TurboTax Feature

For those of you like me who must make quarterly estimates and then as events dictate make mid-year corrections, there is a helpful feature buried inside TurboTax Deluxe. Some of you may already be using it, but I know that there are long time TT users that have never seen it.

Deep in the list of forms, there is a form called "What-If". When you open this form, you are presented with a four-column sheet. The first column is populated with the information you submitted on your return. The other three are for scenarios that you can play with. In the form, both regular and AMT taxes are calculated. I often use the first scenario for a no-change situation, and then use the others during the year as I consider selling something (ltcg), doing a Partial Roth conversion etc.

You need to have some knowledge of taxes as TT doesn't really hold your hand as they do in the main part of the program.

I have also used this along with a spread sheet to do longer term planning. I let the spreadsheet project future balances, and let What-If calculate the tax.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have used What-If for years. Nice feature - I just which it also included state income taxes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've used TT for years, but I'd never noticed the what-if form, it never came up during my "interviews." But after SteveL pointed it out, I've already used it to my advantage. A great feature for tax planning! It may be a good tool for longer range tax planning as well, one of my current side projects.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
For those of you like me who must make quarterly estimates and then as events dictate make mid-year corrections, there is a helpful feature buried inside TurboTax Deluxe. Some of you may already be using it, but I know that there are long time TT users that have never seen it.

Deep in the list of forms, there is a form called "What-If". When you open this form, you are presented with a four-column sheet. The first column is populated with the information you submitted on your return. The other three are for scenarios that you can play with. In the form, both regular and AMT taxes are calculated. I often use the first scenario for a no-change situation, and then use the others during the year as I consider selling something (ltcg), doing a Partial Roth conversion etc.

You need to have some knowledge of taxes as TT doesn't really hold your hand as they do in the main part of the program.

I have also used this along with a spread sheet to do longer term planning. I let the spreadsheet project future balances, and let What-If calculate the tax.
Wow - all these years I've been running my own spreadsheets, including AMT.

Thanks for the TIP. I will look for it next year.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That is a good tip. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

As Johnny Carson used to say: "I didn't know that...".

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Where is the form located? I looked through my 2012 TT Deluxe and could not find it. Thanks.
PatSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Is it on TT online or only disk versions? I like the idea to model my Roth conversions as my salary drops.
Rothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is only available on the desktop/download versions. This year the Deluxe online will not even create a schedule D
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #10

Thanks for the tip! I had to check the TT forums to figure out how to find it - here are the instructions:

Go into Forms View. In the left column, click the OPEN FORM icon at the top of the column.

In the input line, enter "what-if" without quotes. It must contain the hyphen. Or you can just enter "what" without quotes.
Then double-click the "What-if worksheet" selection that appears, and that should bring up the worksheet..
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
here are the instructions:...
Well, THAT was "Intuit"-ive!

Thanks for digging.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote