Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
The second thing that I did was figure out how much debt the House saved me by not passing this bail out. lets see $2300/ person x 4 = $9200.00. I feel rich. I might Trade my old jeep in for a new one. They will pass some thing so my only chance to keep the money out of their hand in to spend it. Yahoo! DIE BROKE!
Well, given that 50% of the return filers essentially pay no taxes, you actually saved, if you are an average tax payer, $18,400. You actually savings may be more or less, depending on your AGI. I figure I saved a lot more than that.

Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Speaking of your line of work, it probably takes about two microseconds there to put the stock market in its true perspective.
Funny timing - I was just walking back to my office from a long meeting and the guy I was with was whining about one thing or another. We passed the clinic which deals with head and neck cancer and the crowd of patients included (as it usually does) some particularly disfiguring and even grotesque surgical results.

He looked in, I looked in, paused about 15 seconds, and the conversation restarted with "Rays game Thursday should be a good one."

San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We had a cynical saying while I was working: "We're no worse than anybody else." That's the way I feel about this storm. Also, in reviewing my upcoming 50th high school reunion, I notice a percentage of my classmates greater than my investment losses are DEAD. Since I survive to invest another day that's got to be positive. The worse thing to happen last week, in my estimation, was the Dallas Cowboys played like cow patties. But, just like the market, they will improve.
Resist much. Obey Little. . . . Ed Abbey

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
.... don't forget oil below $100.

Just in time for winter!
FIRE'd since 2005
tryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Think about how much money Bill Gates has lost. That'll make you feel better.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #46
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Think about how much money Bill Gates has lost. That'll make you feel better.
Think about how much money the Gates Foundation has lost. Ouch.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
Perhaps a good time to convert from Trad. IRA to a Roth?! Less taxes today(because of a smaller amount to convert) than a month ago.

BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote