Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, could be a good time to buy some shares of HSY (Hershey)!

You gals are too much. Chocolate, chocolate....and red wine to go with it....and there goes my Wednesday weigh-in....will have to get under the old chair and hide but hey, at least I'll feel better, temporarily, about the economy.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Hmmm, could be a good time to buy some shares of HSY (Hershey)!
Or cosmetics! The Lipstick Index:

Spotting a recession: The lipstick index | This is Money

Leading Lipstick Indicator

Economist: The "lipstick index" -- cosmetic sales in ugly times
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
What's a girl to do?

Here, no calories!
Whereabouts.jpg
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Sigh.

I'm of a mind that there are too many random, interconnected influences, from the tiny to the gargantuan, on the world economy, to allow generalization from the 1930's, the 1970's, or any other period. The time we are in is unique to itself, and will play out accordingly.

I wish I could believe otherwise, since that might allow me to grasp at some theory that'll tell me what to do next about my family's finances. The fact is, I have no more clue than I did at age 21. All I can do is hope the time-honored strategies that I already knew about back then (work hard, LBYM) and learned about years later (DCA) won't be undone by some unpredictable event, or set of well-meant policies.

Wait, they already have been undone to some extent.

Amethyst, feeling discouraged. (I think I need chocolate).
I recently ran across this ballad from Scorpions, "Send me an angel", with soothing lyrics to me.

"The wise man said just find your place
In the eye of the storm
Seek the roses along the way
Just beware of the thorns

Here I am
Will you send me an angel
Here I am
In the land of the morning star"

Curiously, the German band's songs were all in English and the band was known in the 80s as a heavy-metal hard rock band, not at all my style. However, the lead Klaus Meine is older than myself (60 vs 52), and has now mellowed to the point where I can enjoy his music.

PS. Not being a religious type, I also found out that Lucifer is the Latin word for the Morningstar.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Sigh.

I'm of a mind that there are too many random, interconnected influences, from the tiny to the gargantuan, on the world economy, to allow generalization from the 1930's, the 1970's, or any other period. The time we are in is unique to itself, and will play out accordingly.

I wish I could believe otherwise, since that might allow me to grasp at some theory that'll tell me what to do next about my family's finances. The fact is, I have no more clue than I did at age 21. All I can do is hope the time-honored strategies that I already knew about back then (work hard, LBYM) and learned about years later (DCA) won't be undone by some unpredictable event, or set of well-meant policies.

Wait, they already have been undone to some extent.

Amethyst, feeling discouraged. (I think I need chocolate).
I couldn't agree more. It seems like we have been waiting forever for the economy to recover and sometimes I wonder if we will ever have another strong bull market.

We aren't guaranteed that future market behavior will resemble past market behavior... but it is all we have to go on. So, we wait, and hope, and wonder if our faith in the market is justified or not. We quietly move articles on the Efficient Market to the bottom of the stack of investing articles we have collected, and say nothing. We stay up late trying to figure out what will happen, only to conclude that we don't have sufficient information.

Two certainties occur to me.

First, after economic events unfold, they will seem like the obvious consequences and we will wonder why we ever doubted and wondered.

Second, we will get through this, no matter how formidable the challenges. So, might as well enjoy life along the way. Let's hear it for stopping to smell the roses, and/or a "party on" mentality along the way! Mardi Gras is February 24th this year.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I heard a talking head say something like this. The economy will recover. The consumer will start spending. Cars wear out. Newlyweds wed. Kids grow. As the layoffs taper off, and those with jobs feel more secure, they will begin to spend.

I still think the price of oil is a major factor. If it stays low or reasonable then I think we will have a somewhat normal recovery. It it spikes back high, then I don't think it bodes well for a recovery. I think oil acts just like the feds fund rates as far as clamping down on the economy. However, currently, I don't see anything on the horizon that changes my current outlook.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote