Join Early Retirement Today

a new spin on roths and paying back social security
Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

a new spin on roths and paying back social security

Had a caller on ray lucia's radio show bring up a brilliant move... the latest idea as we all know is to take social security early, pay it back at full retirement age and get a whopper of a benefit.

heres the new idea, the guy paid back 8 years of social security just before he was to start the rmds on his ira.

well from what he said the way it works when you pay back ss is you subtract that lump sum off your income the year you give the ss back.

that left him with a negative income. i guess you cant carry that over so he did a roth conversion to eat up all that negative income ..

end result is he saved a huge chunk in taxes almost getting the roth conversion done tax free.....

sounds like a new idea to look into...
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Sounds too good to be true. Where does one check it out?

heh heh heh - we have an IRS manned by a couple of little ladies down the street. At age 66 they all look young to me.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm hoping they keep that deal open; maybe it will still be there for us because so few people will do it. When I mention it to older friends who seem financially literate, they aren't aware of it, haven't even considered it. Eight years should work out well for me and I am planning on paying back from deferred income in a traditional IRA.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I'm hoping they keep that deal open; maybe it will still be there for us because so few people will do it. When I mention it to older friends who seem financially literate, they aren't aware of it, haven't even considered it. Eight years should work out well for me and I am planning on paying back from deferred income in a traditional IRA.

YES! Four years to RMD! And cheap SOB that I am currently on track to have deferred income in Trad. IRA.

heh heh heh - I hope like Motel 6 they keep the light on and don't close/lock the door.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

i always thought you had to do ammended returns but from what he said its a straight dollar for dollar subtraction in income...
Old 12-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Say? Is the loophole still open where Roth income is not counted when figuring how much of Social Security is taxable.

heh heh heh -
Old 12-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

yep!
http://www.fairmark.com/rothira/socsec.htm
Old 12-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm...
I don't know any reason you couldn't do the SS payback trick more than once. Sooo, if you kept track of your payback amount, you could pay it back every 2-3yrs to zero taxes for those years. Paybacks at 65 -- 68 -- 70 for example. ymmv.

Perhaps there are even advantages to doing annual paybacks to lower your tax bracket (and keep the payback amounts lower!)? The grumpy SS lady would really love you, I'm sure...
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i always thought you had to do ammended returns but from what he said its a straight dollar for dollar subtraction in income...
That's also what OAG said when he went through the SS payback drill:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post793426
Old 12-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Say? Is the loophole still open where Roth income is not counted when figuring how much of Social Security is taxable.

heh heh heh -
I personally don't consider that a loophole, (a feature maybe ). If they did consider the Roth income, it would be an end around to double taxing the Roth money(at least the contributions/rollovers portion) and the tax-free gains wouldn't exactly be so tax-free anymore.
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I had thought about stepping up conversions right before taking SS and during periods when you had capital loss. But I hadn't thought of doing it during the year you pay back SS. It is quite smart idea, oh and yes it is a loophole...
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
end result is he saved a huge chunk in taxes almost getting the roth conversion done tax free.....
But you forgo the tax credit if you take it as a deduction against income. Whether you are better off depends on the rate SS was taxed at versus the rate the conversion would be taxed at.
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The call OP mentions can be heard on a free iTunes Store podcast, it’s The Ray Lucia Show for 12/17/09, hour one starting at 19:49 ending around 24:30. It’s also on Ray Lucia’s website but I couldn’t pinpoint the time there.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
sounds like a new idea to look into...
It is definitely something to check into further. I just love hearing about tips like that. Thanks for posting it, mathjak107.
TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

This whole scenario is based on the fact that the guy had 8 years of SS on hand in a taxable account to pay back. This may not be very easy for the average person to do.
sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish View Post
This whole scenario is based on the fact that the guy had 8 years of SS on hand in a taxable account to pay back. This may not be very easy for the average person to do.
True enough, but for this group which argues about should you have 3, 5 or 10 years of expenses in cash (and of course total income is >> Social Security) it should be a piece of cake . We're not average.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So If I sold an income property to pay back SS, same rules would apply. Dollar for dollar reduction in income.

Right?

Like having your cake and eating it too. Income from early SS and income from the property. Then MORE income from SS and one less property to manage. Sounds too good to be true.