A Noteworthy Message for the School of Doom and Gloom

Recently seen

To All,

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

The Management

Hmmm - do Washington State liquor stores still stock Old Crow - aka 'the Michigan highball/pinochle was the ban of my college career.

Whisky/ginger ale/no ice and double deck pinochle. Alka Selzer on Sunday.

heh heh heh - let those computers rebalance - buy low/sell high! They don't drink and don't think - they just do - provided they have juice(electricity). Party on!

:confused: Didn't Grantham have a column in Forbes years ago?

According to the Grantham Mayo Van Otterloo website, Jeremy Grantham's firm currently manages $126 billion. Endowmwnts, pension funds etc. I'm a little shocked that so many demeaning comments have been posted here about Mr. Grantham and his investment skills. A few facts: the folks who have entrusted him with such staggering sums of money are not fools. He does not attract these billions by consistently losing money for his clients. While I am not privy to Mr. Grantham's personal finances, I would dare say that he has probably earned more (in personal returns, not fees) in his investing lifetime than perhaps anyone who has ever posted on this site. Why the scorn?

Although I often don't agree with the severity of Mr. Grantham's views, I've read him enough to recognize that he's a lot smarter than I am, so I try to learn from him.

Tom

According to the Grantham Mayo Van Otterloo website, Jeremy Grantham's firm currently manages $126 billion. Endowmwnts, pension funds etc. I'm a little shocked that so many demeaning comments have been posted here about Mr. Grantham and his investment skills. A few facts: the folks who have entrusted him with such staggering sums of money are not fools. He does not attract these billions by consistently losing money for his clients. While I am not privy to Mr. Grantham's personal finances, I would dare say that he has probably earned more (in personal returns, not fees) in his investing lifetime than perhaps anyone who has ever posted on this site. Why the scorn?

Although I often don't agree with the severity of Mr. Grantham's views, I've read him enough to recognize that he's a lot smarter than I am, so I try to learn from him.

Tom

Grantham is a top drawer manager and built a very successful management business on the concept of top down but variable asset allocation. There is likely no field other than investment management where the man in the street who has read a few books and spends a little time thinks he knows all of importance there is to know.

In my opinion Grantham's record cannot be random. Obviously many people have a different opinion. :)

Ha

I think where there was some issue was around the part where he always claims things suck and are about to suck worse, and then we'd have 5-6 good years.

I've got nothing bad to say about him, other than the fact that I'll bet he's not retired.

I don't get it
Assuming your investing for the medium to long term, if things are going to get better about 2-3 years from now, shouldn't you be investing now not being brave by running away?
What, we keep cash for 3 years in a CD waiting for when to start investing in equities again?
Wha? I mean, granting his prediction, doesn't seem the advice follows too well.

I'm a little shocked that so many demeaning comments have been posted here about Mr. Grantham and his investment skills. A few facts: the folks who have entrusted him with such staggering sums of money are not fools. He does not attract these billions by consistently losing money for his clients. While I am not privy to Mr. Grantham's personal finances, I would dare say that he has probably earned more (in personal returns, not fees) in his investing lifetime than perhaps anyone who has ever posted on this site. Why the scorn?
In general, when a business owner starts giving away his advice for free, it makes me wonder how much it's worth. And if you're paying for the advice that he's giving away for free, how would you feel?

If a fund manager is selling his newsletter, it makes me wonder how much time he's really spending on either activity. When it comes down to making a newsletter deadline or doing a little more research on that hot company, how are we to know what practicality trumps his priorities?

When a fund manager is consistently bearish and grumpy, it makes me think that he's abusing his public image to push down the price of the equities that he wants to buy.

As for retiring-- guys like Grantham will never retire. Yet somehow they seem to be regarded as sources of advice on the subject of saving for retirement. Mechanically & procedurally their advice may be sound, but it's like reading a sex manual authored by a celibate eunuch...

Back
Top Bottom