Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Other than buying them from Ebay anybody no where I could buy a big quantity 10-12 cases?
I had these links bookmarked after the debacles of September '05:

MREInfo - Buying MREs

Emergency Preparedness Experts

Crown Point - SURE-PAK 12 Case
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:51 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post

MREInfo - Buying MREs

Got to love the internet. Cost for 12 MREs at Nord's military surplus store
$120. (Ebay price $40-50) at Saratoga Trading company case of 72 MREs $170.. Bet I could trade them for a few gallons of gas each after the economy collapse.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Keep in mind that Elaine Garzarelli milked a career out of "calling" the 1987 crash, even though her record after said crash was pretty bad.

One prescient call does not a guru make.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post

MREInfo - Buying MREs

I'm thinking a case of Crown Royal...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah Rebel Yell my favorite libation during my college days. If I only had a nickel for every Rebel Yell induced Sunday morning hangover. I wonder how many brain cells were killed off never to reappear?

2soon
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, Mr. Grantham has published his quarterly newsletter - and he doesn't mince words. For those forecasting doom and gloom, you might want to skip this - it'll only make you feel worse.

On the other hand:

Time To Be Optimistc, Says Pring » Investment Postcards from Cape Town
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
I wonder how many brain cells were killed off never to reappear?
At least one that would have helped answer your question...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #28
Administrator

Recently seen

Quote:
To All,

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

The Management

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - do Washington State liquor stores still stock Old Crow - aka 'the Michigan highball/pinochle was the ban of my college career.

Whisky/ginger ale/no ice and double deck pinochle. Alka Selzer on Sunday.

heh heh heh - let those computers rebalance - buy low/sell high! They don't drink and don't think - they just do - provided they have juice(electricity). Party on!

Didn't Grantham have a column in Forbes years ago?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm thinking a case of Crown Royal...
Just one case? It could be a long end-of-the-world.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

According to the Grantham Mayo Van Otterloo website, Jeremy Grantham's firm currently manages $126 billion. Endowmwnts, pension funds etc. I'm a little shocked that so many demeaning comments have been posted here about Mr. Grantham and his investment skills. A few facts: the folks who have entrusted him with such staggering sums of money are not fools. He does not attract these billions by consistently losing money for his clients. While I am not privy to Mr. Grantham's personal finances, I would dare say that he has probably earned more (in personal returns, not fees) in his investing lifetime than perhaps anyone who has ever posted on this site. Why the scorn?

Although I often don't agree with the severity of Mr. Grantham's views, I've read him enough to recognize that he's a lot smarter than I am, so I try to learn from him.

Tom
tomintucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintucson View Post
According to the Grantham Mayo Van Otterloo website, Jeremy Grantham's firm currently manages $126 billion. Endowmwnts, pension funds etc. I'm a little shocked that so many demeaning comments have been posted here about Mr. Grantham and his investment skills. A few facts: the folks who have entrusted him with such staggering sums of money are not fools. He does not attract these billions by consistently losing money for his clients. While I am not privy to Mr. Grantham's personal finances, I would dare say that he has probably earned more (in personal returns, not fees) in his investing lifetime than perhaps anyone who has ever posted on this site. Why the scorn?

Although I often don't agree with the severity of Mr. Grantham's views, I've read him enough to recognize that he's a lot smarter than I am, so I try to learn from him.

Tom
Grantham is a top drawer manager and built a very successful management business on the concept of top down but variable asset allocation. There is likely no field other than investment management where the man in the street who has read a few books and spends a little time thinks he knows all of importance there is to know.

In my opinion Grantham's record cannot be random. Obviously many people have a different opinion.

Ha
Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I think where there was some issue was around the part where he always claims things suck and are about to suck worse, and then we'd have 5-6 good years.

I've got nothing bad to say about him, other than the fact that I'll bet he's not retired.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't get it
Assuming your investing for the medium to long term, if things are going to get better about 2-3 years from now, shouldn't you be investing now not being brave by running away?
What, we keep cash for 3 years in a CD waiting for when to start investing in equities again?
Wha? I mean, granting his prediction, doesn't seem the advice follows too well.
thaidyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintucson View Post
I'm a little shocked that so many demeaning comments have been posted here about Mr. Grantham and his investment skills. A few facts: the folks who have entrusted him with such staggering sums of money are not fools. He does not attract these billions by consistently losing money for his clients. While I am not privy to Mr. Grantham's personal finances, I would dare say that he has probably earned more (in personal returns, not fees) in his investing lifetime than perhaps anyone who has ever posted on this site. Why the scorn?
In general, when a business owner starts giving away his advice for free, it makes me wonder how much it's worth. And if you're paying for the advice that he's giving away for free, how would you feel?

If a fund manager is selling his newsletter, it makes me wonder how much time he's really spending on either activity. When it comes down to making a newsletter deadline or doing a little more research on that hot company, how are we to know what practicality trumps his priorities?

When a fund manager is consistently bearish and grumpy, it makes me think that he's abusing his public image to push down the price of the equities that he wants to buy.

As for retiring-- guys like Grantham will never retire. Yet somehow they seem to be regarded as sources of advice on the subject of saving for retirement. Mechanically & procedurally their advice may be sound, but it's like reading a sex manual authored by a celibate eunuch...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote