Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A quick question
Old 07-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,695
A quick question

MIL passed away about six months ago and left my wife with about 800 shares of JPM stock. We got a call today from UBS (the stock evidently went into a trust upon MIL's death and UBS is involved with distribution and resolution of the stock). From my understanding and I need to do a little more home work, what would be the best way to handle this transfer. The stock is or will be in the wife's name and Vanguard will take it but we have to open up an account in her name. I have accounts with both FIDO and Vgrd but they are soley in my name with DW as main beneficiary. UBS has offered to open up an account for abouth $250 and she could keep the shares there, and I'm sure they would chrage an annual miantenance fees. We really don't need the money and are a bit indifferent as to keeping or selling the shares. Someone told us that for UBS to sell the shares and issue a check that an account would have to be opened, stock sold and then closed again, at some expense probably a few hundred bucks. Just wondered if anyone else has ever ran into a similar situation and might have some sage advice ?

Appreciate any and all replies in advance.

A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
MichaelB's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gone fishing
Posts: 25,813
Open the account at Vanguard and have it transferred. Once at Vanguard you can keep it or sell it. You should be able to transfer it into your joint account if you so choose. There is probably no UBS option with lower fees. An account at UBS is necessary just to take custody of the inheritance but can be quickly closed.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 728
I'm wondering why your wife wouldn't have accounts in her name or why you two don't have joint accounts? For many reasons DW and I have Vanguard accounts in her, mine and joint names. If either gets sued, individually, you don't lose it all. But, I'm probably not answering your question; if all you would have with UBS is the stock, get it into something else, cutting your fees in the future. Depending on account size, you can sell, buy, trade much cheaper with Vanguard than anyplace else.

And, when you have bunches of money anyplace, trades get cheaper, advice and phone calls get answered faster and for me, it's a lot easier to pull everythiing together for the IRS each year. I really hope I didn't offend you on why accounts are in your name, for me I couldn't justify doing it although I've been the 100% breadwinner since the day we married many years ago.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,869
The question I would ask is if you really want to keep the stock You mention that you are indifferent... if so, then have UBS sell the shares inside the trust it is already in and distribute to you the money...

OR, see if you can have the shares moved to Mellon Investment Services... I believe they do the drip for JPM...

Well, it looks like they moved!!!

Computershare | Acquisition Information

JP Morgan Chase (JPM) DRIP - Dividend Reinvestment Plan Advice

Well, at least I am giving you another option You will have to do the research...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,952
I'd just get the shares issued to your spouse. She can "give" them to you. You walk them into your local Fido office and have them sold on the spot. You can give the cash to your spouse.

There is absolutely no reason to keep the shares and every reason to sell them today.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,877
Vanguard could be a slight pain if you have to open a brokerage account to sell the stock and then transfer it to a mutual fund account to buy a mutual fund. Fido would be easier in that case. But the main consideration would be where you want the money to end up. Either should be cheaper to do anything than UBS.

Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.