Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #81
Dryer sheet aficionado

We also have been frugal and saved our money.

However, we have discovered that we love going on cruises! And we like to get good deals on those. However, even when you look for the best deals, cruising can use your money up fast! I suggest you go on a few.
Earlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Why spend it "all"? If you are happy the way you have been living, do a few upgrades and keep on being happy. There is nothing wrong with dying rich, and helping the next generation.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #83
Dryer sheet wannabe

Let’s see I just took a trip to Maui and San Fran over the holiday, that was 10 grand. The new Honda passport is out and they only have the elite model in stock and they only charge list, so let’s call it 50 grand. How about sending a kid to a big time college. You think you have money till you start paying these tuition bills it’s scary. Don’t have kids you can find a student to fund. How about a vacation house in Florida on the water.
maloney50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW and and I are savers, but just took a World Cruise on Regent Seven Seas. This is an all inclusive trip, meaning no additional cost for alcohol, for laundry, medical, shore excursions, wi-fi, gratuities, etc. We went to 30 different countries, 62 different ports and learned what places we would want to visit in the future. It took 137 days to complete the cruise, so it is like 10 two week vacations....but you only have to unpack once!
Think about it...seriously. Expensive on the front end, but well worth it when it was done.
levindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Do not be splurging on massage parlors in FL. May inhibit further travel and enjoyment.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
or an RV.
Or a used BMW...
Old 02-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlygirl View Post
We also have been frugal and saved our money.

However, we have discovered that we love going on cruises! And we like to get good deals on those. However, even when you look for the best deals, cruising can use your money up fast! I suggest you go on a few.
So what cruises have you taken? It's time we took another one, as we didn't go on one last year.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's great to be frugal but you worked too hard for that money to just leave it for others to spend. Read up on the "Three Bucket Retirement" strategy. Also listen to the "Retirement Answer Man" and "Big Picture Retirement" podcasts.
Set a budget and deliberately budget money for travel, charities, and activities you want to (re)start. Start volunteering someplace that you are passionate about. Make a bucket list of places you would like to see. Take exercise classes that will maintain or improve your health. How about taking some cooking lessons as a couple - or taking it in the country of origin? Offer to reimburse your kids for every dollar they put away in the previous year in a 401K and IRA (grandkids too). Consider setting up funds to pay for any grandkids post secondary education (or a special needs trust if needed). Plan a family trip (you, your kids, & family) to a location that they could not afford on their own (Hawaii, Disneyworld, ocean cruise, Europe, etc). Have fun and create a scholarship or grant for kids in your community who could not afford something otherwise (music lessons/instrument, athletics, summer camp, etc). It's fun to be an anonymous donor too.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Or a used BMW...
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by levindb View Post
My DW and and I are savers, but just took a World Cruise on Regent Seven Seas. This is an all inclusive trip, meaning no additional cost for alcohol, for laundry, medical, shore excursions, wi-fi, gratuities, etc. We went to 30 different countries, 62 different ports and learned what places we would want to visit in the future. It took 137 days to complete the cruise, so it is like 10 two week vacations....but you only have to unpack once!
Think about it...seriously. Expensive on the front end, but well worth it when it was done.
So how much did it cost?

Definitely enter this on the Blow That Dough thread! It wiil probably blow anything else out of the water!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:54 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was at a NRA banquet tonight and a guy at my table spend 5 grand on some nice toys.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:59 AM   #92
Confused about dryer sheets

I share your reluctance to spend money during retirement. It took years for my partner and I to grasp that we can spend more.

It helped that we gave ourselves each a monthly allowance that we could spend or save as each of us wished. We transfer $2,000 per month from Vanguard into each of our 'his' and 'hers' bank accounts.

It's only half our total annual spending (3.3% of assets at age 63), but we both feel the freedom in that neither of us have to ask the other before spending or be concerned about spending as we individually wish. It works well for us.
JohnYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:32 AM   #93
Confused about dryer sheets

Consider a charitable gift trust. You’ll still have spendable cash for luxuries but sleep great at night knowing that when you’re finished with the money others will benefit from your generosity. (Plus, with the current tax system it’s a way to elevate your charitable giving to the point that it will allow you to itemize your taxes.)
Canopybowstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:56 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Fly Business/First. Luxury cruise.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:07 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So how much did it cost?

Definitely enter this on the Blow That Dough thread! It wiil probably blow anything else out of the water!
As mentioned before, the cruise included a lot of items that are normally add ons from other cruise lines. Business Class airfare to/from departure city, a night in a luxury hotel before departure with gala evening event to get us in the mood. Our room was good size (355 sq ft) with walk-in closet and a bathroom that had a separate shower and bathtub. Most of the rooms (90%) on the ship were the same as ours. No additional charge to have any meal in your room if you felt like having breakfast in bed, or your filet and lobster on your balcony. They also have Fedex ship 4 additional suitcases to the ship since we needed extra clothes for a long journey like this.

On normal cruises, 20-25% of passengers take shore excursions...on our cruise, it was closer to 80% because they were included in the price. That meant we were not walking around the port city looking through souvenir shops. We were taking 2 hour bus rides to bathe elephants in a river, or going on 4 hour safaris, climbing 1200' sand dunes, snorkeling in the Maldives. Each port was like an appetizer for that country to help us decide if we wanted to return for a full portion (multi weeks) of that location.

Back to your question...$150K for the both of us. That works out to about $7600/week for the equivalent of 14 week long, all inclusive vacations...back to back. We would do it again.

Now, you do need to work out a few things...like hard copy mail, who will take care of the cat, how will your yard work get taken care of...but those are relatively minor.
levindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Do something for the next generations
Old 02-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Do something for the next generations

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
Ok....we have a quandary
We saved our whole lives and lived beneath our means and retired early 50s. Now...how do we spend it all?
We own our house
We do need a new vehicle so that will be done
But how do we break this tightwad mentality and how HOW can we spend it all?
We like to travel and will but we enjoy doing I “on the cheap”.

Help!
Try to offset some carbon. Put solar power on your house or buy into a community solar farm (save up to 20 Tons of carbon/year). Put geothermal heating/cooling on your house (save 8 Tons of Carbon/year). Buy yourself one of the new long range electric vehicles (up to 8 Tons/vehicle/year). They go up to 300 miles on a charge. Be careful of too much jet travel. Each hour in the air is about 1/2 Ton of carbon. Do your part to help save the future for the next generations.

"We Do Not Inherit the Earth from Our Ancestors; We Borrow It from Our Children" Wendell Berry
Old 02-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
This is probably where a big chunk of my dough will go, eventually. I bet you had an amazing time!
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Take a world cruise! We did it last year and are trying to figure out if we can afford to do it again soon. Nothing broadens one's thinking, or excites the imagination like watching the sun rise over an unknown sea!
[mod edit]
Maidensong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #99

Quote:
Back to your question...$150K for the both of us. That works out to about $7600/week for the equivalent of 14 week long, all inclusive vacations...back to back. We would do it again.
I noticed that the long cruises are priced much, much higher than the shorter cruises, even after adjusting for freebies and no-charge luxury items. The "efficiency" habit in me has a hard time with $550 a night per person when I can get a shorter (14 day or so) cruise with similar port-density cruise for between 1/5 and 1/3 the long cruise price. What you don't get is the same kind of clientèle. That can be good or bad. I usually get along well with people who are also trying to get their money's worth. They're spending some decent money for longer cruises than those quickie ones, for sure, just not 5X for the very long cruise.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday, I went on the Regent Seven Seas Web site, and saw that they were having a special deal on a 130+ day world cruise for $66K/person. Everything is included, including all the shore excursions you want to take.

I am sure it's a relaxing trip, with everything taken care of for you. The cost is really higher than what I am ready to pay, however. The itinerary for their next trip covers a few places that we have been to. And this being a cruise, you only visit the ports, and do not have time to go further inland at each visit.

Maybe when we get a bit older, I will think about this.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote