Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
You see this with charities sometimes. ... "Feed the starving children" ... "Save the abused animals" ...
I apologize for consciously (but briefly!) going off topic here but here is something worth knowing that many people do not:

You can get a copy of any nonprofit organization's tax returns by going to http://www.guidestar.org and getting a free login id. From the tax returns you can see whether it is the charity's management or the starving children who are being fed. Similarly you can see whether it is the donors or the animals that are being abused. All the top executive salaries are laid out by name and all the income and expenses are shown.

[\off_topic]

OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
+1

I use Google Voice with an OBi200 VoIP adapter for totally free landline phone service. Ooma is like a Sunday in TJ. It's cheap but it's not free.

Sounds good.

Just curious, do you also have their OBiTALK Premium Support plan? If so, how much is it?

Also, it sounds like it can be used via multiple locations. Wondering if this might be great for a snowbird, and how would that work?

omni

omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:15 AM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
The joke at my house is that I want to be in a business where folks pay me monthly forever.

Become a landlord
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:01 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelek View Post
Become a landlord
You are correct. But we did that for about 20 years. The last property was sold a few weeks ago. I was thinking about something like Ma Bell's old phone rental deal. You pay me but I don't do much for it.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:11 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

EDIT: land-lines.

when I sold mom's house (over a decade ago) I found she had been leasing two phones from AT&T (around $20/month) for at least 20 years...
What a racket. I think you could stop those payments after a couple of years by telling them you now wanted to own the phone and take responsibility if it failed. I called and they hadn't even been tracking how long I'd had it. At least the "lease payments" stopped.

FloridaTennisPlayer asked why anyone would have a land line; I'm very protective of my smartphone number. I get really irritated when I'm driving, or in the gym, the occasional marketing call slips through- I'll provide the number to someone doing work on my house to avoid telephone tag and then I get called with a follow-up satisfaction survey, for example. The landline is equivalent to a spamcatcher e-mail address.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:30 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
What a racket. I think you could stop those payments after a couple of years by telling them you now wanted to own the phone and take responsibility if it failed. I called and they hadn't even been tracking how long I'd had it. At least the "lease payments" stopped.

FloridaTennisPlayer asked why anyone would have a land line; I'm very protective of my smartphone number. I get really irritated when I'm driving, or in the gym, the occasional marketing call slips through- I'll provide the number to someone doing work on my house to avoid telephone tag and then I get called with a follow-up satisfaction survey, for example. The landline is equivalent to a spamcatcher e-mail address.
For me, the cell phone I have had for the last 3 years and whose number I have given out to maybe 10 people has become little more than a receptacle for junk calls and texts which make up at least 95% of the activity on the phone. It's a low-end flip phone which costs me about $5-$8 per month and lacks any call-blocking procedures. At least I can use Nomorobo on the land line although it has become less effective over time due to the caller number spoofing.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #47

Quote:
You are correct. But we did that for about 20 years. The last property was sold a few weeks ago. I was thinking about something like Ma Bell's old phone rental deal. You pay me but I don't do much for it.
No wonder ATT stock did great years ago. LOL
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Sounds good.

Just curious, do you also have their OBiTALK Premium Support plan? If so, how much is it?

Also, it sounds like it can be used via multiple locations. Wondering if this might be great for a snowbird, and how would that work?

omni
No. It's $10/yr and I'm never really sure what it provides over and above the totally free option. I think it's mainly phone/email support in case you need help with configuration or firmware updates. I just bought the OBi200, configured it for my Google Voice number following some well-documented instructions, and it works very reliably.

I've never tried it at another location, but I think it would work fine. Just take the OBi device with you and plug it in. It just needs an internet connection.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

I use Google Voice as the number I give out to businesses, etc. I also use GV when calling same.
Actual cell phone number? Only to close friends and family.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
+1

I use Google Voice with an OBi200 VoIP adapter for totally free landline phone service. Ooma is like a Sunday in TJ. It's cheap but it's not free.
It depends...I got my Ooma many years ago, when it was completely free (other than initial device purchase). It's still free for me, although I understand new customers have to pay a small monthly...
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #51

A lot of my expenses are because I'm still working.

I'd love to ditch my monthly cell phone and just buy a prepaid phone card. If I wasn't working, and on call, I could probably get by on just $20 a year for talk only.

If I wasn't working I'd be happy just wearing tee-shirts from Walmart and a few pairs of shorts. I'd live in a warmer climate all year round.

I would move somewhere with better public transportation and live within walking distance to a grocery store. At that point I would give up owning a car.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
A lot of my expenses are because I'm still working.

I'd love to ditch my monthly cell phone and just buy a prepaid phone card. If I wasn't working, and on call, I could probably get by on just $20 a year for talk only.

If I wasn't working I'd be happy just wearing tee-shirts from Walmart and a few pairs of shorts. I'd live in a warmer climate all year round.

I would move somewhere with better public transportation and live within walking distance to a grocery store. At that point I would give up owning a car.
You could Uber/Lyft to/from nearby grocery store.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would love to get rid of our landline but we live a couple miles from the San Andreas fault. It's good to have one landline in case we have an earthquake and lose power and cell towers. We do have Comcast triple play for our business line. I figure when the big one hits and we have the only landline around, I can charge people to use it. :-).
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:53 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcat View Post
I would love to get rid of our landline but we live a couple miles from the San Andreas fault. It's good to have one landline in case we have an earthquake and lose power and cell towers. We do have Comcast triple play for our business line. I figure when the big one hits and we have the only landline around, I can charge people to use it. :-).
I should add that I consider a landline to be a phone plugged into the telephone jack in the wall. Also it is an old time corded phone. Not cordless.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:40 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcat View Post
For the land line you might worry if the phone company goes from analog to digital before the central office. If so if the power fails after some time the batteries on the multiplexers will die and the land line also go out of service. Fewer and fewer land lines are all copper all the way to the central office, so that they can run DSL over the lines. (DSL does not allow the long distance copper runs that plain old analog telephone did. But by putting in neighborhood multiplexers they save the cost of rewiring all the way to each home.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
For the land line you might worry if the phone company goes from analog to digital before the central office. If so if the power fails after some time the batteries on the multiplexers will die and the land line also go out of service. Fewer and fewer land lines are all copper all the way to the central office, so that they can run DSL over the lines. (DSL does not allow the long distance copper runs that plain old analog telephone did. But by putting in neighborhood multiplexers they save the cost of rewiring all the way to each home.
Thank you for this. Our AT & T bill has risen to almost $50 per month. Drives me crazy to pay it every month. I'll talk to my husband about it.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Yep, here our development was built ~30 years ago & the phone service is fiber from the CO to a box at the entrance, then copper line to the individual homes.

Across the country the above is steadily replacing copper lines from the CO to each individual home.

Recently AT&T has run new fiber on the main road near us and is slowly connecting that fiber directly to homes in nearby neighborhoods (offering much faster internet & no underground copper to maintain)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #58
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Yep, here our development was built ~30 years ago & the phone service is fiber from the CO to a box at the entrance, then copper line to the individual homes.

Across the country the above is steadily replacing copper lines from the CO to each individual home.

Recently AT&T has run new fiber on the main road near us and is slowly connecting that fiber directly to homes in nearby neighborhoods (offering much faster internet & no underground copper to maintain)
They are running fiber around our neighborhood, too.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I have a landline because I like it.
+1 Me too!
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #60
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
The joke at my house is that I want to be in a business where folks pay me monthly forever. In Atlanta they are now advertising renting your hot water heater and HVAC (Mnt. included) for a low monthly payment.

We dropped cable and use OTA, Amazon Prime video, Hulu and Netflix. Saved over $800 per year and that includes adding Amazon Music Unlimited.

I have recently seen a automotive tire store that rents tires. That is a new one on me.

Pscottforster is offline   Reply With Quote