Join Early Retirement Today
A review of retirement calculators
Old 02-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
A review of retirement calculators

My Favorite Retirement Calculators
My Favorite Retirement Calculators - Can I Retire Yet?

I have not used any of these calculators. I use the planning tools in Quicken Premier 2015.

I briefly looked at OnTrajectory that was on the list. I didn't see anything interesting... except the price of $30 per year. I pay about $60 every 3 years for quicken and get so much more functionality.

For me, the value of the quicken planning tools is the real time information. My retirement model is setup once and adjusted as necessary. The account data is easily updated as often as I need... daily or weekly.

I have started using the budgeting tool now that I am retired. Most of my expenses are regular bills or credit cards. So, most of my spending transactions are automatically entered. Most of the effort is making sure the transactions are in the proper category.

I have a target level of spending (around 4% SWR to start). I use that spending target in 2 ways; Setup my budgets to be under that target amount and to configure my annual expense in the retirement planner.

And Quicken is doing a real good job of showing whether my defense against "Sequence of returns" risk is working or not.

UtahSkier is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I tried the free trial of OnTrajectory. I needed to delete something and then start a new scenario and it won't update since then. It just gets to a point and then stops (and yes my trial allows me access to what I am trying to do).

Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is the most comprehensive review of financial calculators I've seen:

Other tools and financial calculators for just about every aspect of retirement:
"He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough."
40/60 AA; < 2.5% WR; Delaying SS until 70
ER Date: 5/15/15
Options is offline   Reply With Quote