Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$0.15/kwh for electricity in Texas, damn it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #22

I'm at $.052/KWH for the first 500 KWH.

Gas was $1.11/CcF in August.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #23

I heat with oil, and already prebought. Course, it was when oil was 120+ a barrel... DOOH! Utility costs are very high up here in NH.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

My electric averages $195. mo. thats with pool and spa up and running.

We cook, dry clothes and back up wood stove heat with propane. On cold nights I will put in a couple oak logs (over plenty of coals) and close the dampers - the central heat will usually kick on around 5am - then when get up - stoke the fire up - and house is good for the day. Most of our wood is harvested off our property=sweat equity.
I have not figured out exactly how much propane we use - but on a yearly basis - my guess is around $90-110 per mo.
PS I am not ready to let go of summer!
But, I will enjoy the new ski season.....we need to slow down this time train...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Martha, I have too much respect & consideration for you to post our numbers at this time of year. Maybe May June July whenever the last snowfall of the season happens.

Is it worth putting your tenants on their own metering/utility bills?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

The electric can be separately metered, but that cost isn't bad. It is the natural gas. As we are on a one zone boiler, no way to separately meter the heat.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
the air is running all day long...
Here, too. It's been a HOT summer.

These are the most recent bills I have received.

Electricity:
$73.37 fuel - - 1305 kWh @$0.056/kWh
+$104.40 fuel adjustment - - 1305 kWh @$0.08/kWh
-$2.62 Louisiana PSC Case Credit

$175.15 total bill (did I mention it's been HOT?!! )

Gas:
10 CCF @ $1.40522/CCF = $28.58 total bill

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Electricity is $0.0608 per kWh
Gas is $0.05 per cubic meter

It's hydroelectricity. Where I'm at, consumption will rise dramatically over the winter.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
As we are on a one zone boiler, no way to separately meter the heat.
Coin-op valve in the water lines going to their radiators. 50 cents buys an hour of heat. Sure, they'll grumble at first .. .
Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Last bill:

Electric - $0.1364 / kwh

Natgas - $15.9514 / MCF

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how everyone is calculating the cost per kwh?

Here in Chicago, ComEd has ten line items (including the tax line) adding up to the final bill! Way too complicated for me!

If I simply divide my August bill of $44.55 by the 326 kwh we used, the cost was 13.66/kwh.

The line item labeled "Electricity Supply Charge" is 7.6/kwh. But then there is "transmission services charge," "distribution facilities charge" and on and on and on.......

So..... using the number that was actually debited from our checking account, $44.55 and dividing that by the 326 kwh hours used = 13.66.

Four of the line items are fixed costs (the same regardless of kwh used) so I guess that in months were we use a lot of electricity, the cost per kwh will be less.....

BTW, we had a great August here! Hardly ran the air cond at all compared to last year and this low August bill was just like finding a $100 bill on the ground due to the nice savings! Thank you mother nature!

Our nat gas bill was $28.21 (furnace didn't run, cooking, clothes drier and water heater). Used 14.19 therms so cost/therm was 1.99/therm. Again, includes everything I paid including taxes.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I
If I simply divide my August bill of $44.55 by the 326 kwh we used, the cost was 13.66/kwh.
Yep, that's the only accurate way to do it. If all charges aren't included in your calculation you're just fooling yourself.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #33

Our solar electric system makes all of the electricity for our home in CA, grid inter-tie fee is about $4.50 per month. We are only there for about 10 weeks in the summer and 3 weeks in the winter, but the lights are all on (security) and the fridge runs constantly. The summer months are when the pool and HVAC use the most electricity so I don't see our usage going up significantly when we return for good. As it stands, best guess is that we use about 10,000 kwh/year now, and the system produces about 17,000kwh/year, so PG&E is getting 7000kwh for free. We will somehow find a way to use that extra when we get back, if it means I have to buy electric heaters for the winter months. (...and hoping Toyota will hurry the plug-in hybrids...).

We bought 425 gallons of propane in December of 2005, and the propane truck came and re-filled us up for the first time in June or so this year...I think it was about 250 gallons or so. This included a leak that neither the builder, HVAC, or plumber found when the home was built. We had an HVAC unit with a faulty compressor, and the guy who came to fix it found the propane leak. I think the +/-250 gallons cost almost $700 (it was a bit under $3/gallon), which covered the leak as well as us living there for about 30 weeks. I'm guessing we'll use about 425 gallons per year when we are finally able to go home for more than visits.

We also use wood for heating, which will take about 1-1.5 cords per year, at about $180 per cord.

All up estimate is:
Electric: $54 per year for grid inter-tie
Propane: $1350 per year
Wood: $270 per year
Total: $1,674 per year or $139.50 avg monthly

Oh if we didn't have solar, the rates would start at 16cents per baseline, and up to 28cents marginal rate at the highest tier. Based on our average solar output, which we will eventually use, the effective rate would be about 21-23 cents or so.

R
Old 09-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Western, NY in August
Electric: 8.6c/kwh X 365kwh= $31.36, actual bill adds another $36.06 for delivery and taxes for a total of $67.42

Gas: used 12 ccf at $1.40 per ccf.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I wonder how everyone is calculating the cost per kwh?

Here in Chicago, ComEd has ten line items (including the tax line) adding up to the final bill! Way too complicated for me!
Yeah, I've seen those ridiculous kind of elec bills. Almost seems like they're trying to make it so complicated that you can't really figure out what you're paying for.

Quote:

The line item labeled "Electricity Supply Charge" is 7.6/kwh. But then there is "transmission services charge," "distribution facilities charge" and on and on and on.......

So..... using the number that was actually debited from our checking account, $44.55 and dividing that by the 326 kwh hours used = 13.66.
Mine was the all-in costs except I did leave the county tax out, but that's only 70-80 cents per month so it's negligible.

Quote:
BTW, we had a great August here! Hardly ran the air cond at all compared to last year and this low August bill was just like finding a $100 bill on the ground due to the nice savings! Thank you mother nature!
Yep, this summer has been a mild one here in MO. We stay closed up most of the time with the A/C on though due to DW's allergies. We do have the windows open tonight though. Nice and cool out!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #36

I use electric baseboard heat only. It's .108 per kwh which apparently is higher than average so it's a good thing I use less than 10kwh per day between may and september. Now with lows already getting down to the 40's i'll be paying much more as I have very low tolerance for cold. Never turned the air on all summer even when it hit 90 with high humidity. Never even turned the fan on except one day when I had several family members over who requested it. But cold is a different story. I'll keep my bedroom at 75 when i'm at home and my masterbathroom at 65. The rest of the condo will be at 50 and when i'm gone for work for 13 hours everything gets turned down to 50. I basically don't leave my bedroom in the winter unless I have to go to work and I limit that as much as I can using all 3 weeks of my vacation in late january and early february. I'm about as frugal a person as i've ever known but even when it's below zero i'll have my bedroom at 70-75 even if it means ramon noodles for a couple months.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post

$0.15/kwh for electricity in Texas, damn it.

Not near that high for me... I live in a municipal service area.

~
Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Not sure what our rates here are (though I could look it up). I'm totally electric. No AC. around 2000 sq. ft. two level home.

I'm on a level pay account during 2007 we were paying 150+/month. In december they recalculated and starting in Januery it went up to 205+/month.

I was rather surprised. I'm not looking forward to what this years adjustment will be.

Rick
Old 09-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #39

Martha
Michigan residential
Electric: first 600 kwh .047
after that per kwh .085
delivery charge per kwh .03

Gas: Per mcf 11.8

Rates are going up at MSPC has approved rate increase.

Having read through all of the posts, it's interesting the range of utility charges. Rates in Texas are very high, and I thought Texas was energy rich. I expect energy charges to become a very significant part of the monthly outlays, but to assure that its available (especially heat in the winter) is more important.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Natural Gas Historical Price