Join Early Retirement Today

A selloff tomorrow?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A selloff tomorrow?

Dubai debt fears hit world markets hard | Comcast.net

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It will be interesting, the Financial Times said that the SP500 equivalents were down 2.2%. And gold almost hit $1200. On the other hand, I haven't seen much mention of it in the US press so I suspect that there might be an impact on Monday as well.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Bloomberg shows world markets down a little more than 3% and US futures down about 2%. I have found that Fridays are kinda squirrelly days when it comes to bad news, so it's hard to project to Monday.

Rather amusing to me is that the Dubai problem is about less than $60 billion of debt and the stock market reaction probably erased many-fold that value. Does that mean that there will be a bounce back in a day or so? Who knows?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sell everything, buy GOLD.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

TSX was down 200.10 points today so hold on to your horses tomorrow morning. I believe the US markets close at noon tomorrow. Maybe that's a good thing!

What is the World coming to?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

So, their bubble finally burst due to lack of outsized oil profits of the past. A $60B debt... Why is that a big deal?

I have some fresh money, due to having worked recently. Should I plow some into the market? It's less than 1% of existing portfolio, but every bit counts. No?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

"Whee!"

(Who knows, maybe it'll work.)

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
"Whee!"

(Who knows, maybe it'll work.)

2Cor521
You've got to say it with a sort of swirl in your voice. But be sure not to violate the copyright.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

60 billion here, 60 billion there........what is there to worry about? That is pocket change compared to the numbers being thrown around just a few months ago here. Sweep it under the rug and move on.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #10

I watch CNBC for entertainment, almost every analyst has called for a pullback since the dow hit 9000, maybe now they will get their wish, and they can tell everybody how they predicted it.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #11

It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses. How chastening in the hour of pride. How consoling in the depths of affliction. A. Lincoln
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

According to this List of countries by foreign exchange reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saudi Arabia had almost $400Bn in USD foreign currency reserves. If the bankers and Dubai could not come to terms, it would be pretty darned easy for them to "help a brother out." Just sayin'...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I watch CNBC for entertainment, almost every analyst has called for a pullback since the dow hit 9000, maybe now they will get their wish, and they can tell everybody how they predicted it.
TJ
It's amazing how much wishful thinking is presented as if it were serious market/economic analysis on CNBC!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #14

While I am not a fan of CNBC, I don't see how people interpret this as wishful thinking?
Emotionally charged opinions, sure, but I don't see it a wishful thinking.
I have also seen a number of 'experts' on CNBC saying the market will continue north.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Sell everything, buy GOLD.
Well, gold, silver, and copper are down today. I didn't check to see if lead is up (for making bullets!).

There we go again. Everything is down, which means the only thing up is paper money. PAPER MONEY, for crying out loud. That practically grows on trees!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a bit of cash that I wanted to invest. Just put 1/4 of it into a world index fund. Will do the rest in the very near future.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
TJ
And lo! The DOW did pull back, all the way to where it was last Friday! And the people did feast upon turkey, and giblets, and potato, and stuffing, and it was all good.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Work has been halted on the artificial islands

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
According to this List of countries by foreign exchange reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saudi Arabia had almost $400Bn in USD foreign currency reserves. If the bankers and Dubai could not come to terms, it would be pretty darned easy for them to "help a brother out." Just sayin'...
Good point. Maybe Saudis are too worried about their own troubles to think about helping out. The ever-growing list of royals has been putting a hurt on them economically for a long time. The whole tinderbox of their society depends on government handouts, and with oil prices still low, there's a potential for unrest. And their neighborhood isn't getting any friendlier, either. Yemen is a mess, and Iran . . .well.
At least the UAE is trying to diversify their economy. They may lose money and it will undoubtedly be a centrally-planned and inefficient effort, but it does show some willingness to look ahead that some other oil-rich countries have not demonstrated.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, gold, silver, and copper are down today. I didn't check to see if lead is up (for making bullets!).

There we go again. Everything is down, which means the only thing up is paper money. PAPER MONEY, for crying out loud. That practically grows on trees!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a bit of cash that I wanted to invest. Just put 1/4 of it into a world index fund. Will do the rest in the very near future.
Sorry, I don't have a sarcasm emoticon. I hoped the one I used would paint a picture.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Sorry, I don't have a sarcasm emoticon. I hoped the one I used would paint a picture.
I did not misunderstand your sarcasm, but only wanted to use your post as a launch pad for my own.