Join Early Retirement Today

A sign of a bottom
Old 03-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A sign of a bottom

The Wall Street Journal Guide to the End of Wall Street as We Know It: What You Need to Know About the Greatest Financial Crisis of Our Time--and How to Survive It
by Dave Kansas

Recommeded by Michelle Singletary in today's Washington Post. Here's the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Street-Jo.../dp/0061788406

Books like this might indicate we're close to the bottom, in the same way as Glasman's Dow 36,000: The New Strategy for Profiting from the Coming Rise in the Stock Market was a sign of the top. Remember that one?
http://www.amazon.com/Dow-36-000-Str...6517845&sr=1-2
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All we have is hope.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't be silly.
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
all we have is hope.
Hope.jpg

Hope - Eternity.jpg
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
All we have is hope.
That and $5 will get you a latte at Starbucks.
Quote:
Hopefulness is somewhat different from optimism in that hope is an emotional state, whereas optimism is a conclusion reached through a deliberate thought pattern that leads to a positive attitude.
The more people that say they see signs of the bottom the more I worry that we're going deeper, farther and longer.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I've given up trying to divine "capitulation" or other signs of a bottom. Certainly, book or magazine covers, etc., won't do it for me. It's almost certain that we'll only know the bottom in hindsight, months or years after it was in.
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Top 10 headlines that could signal a market bottom

Some serious, some not...
  • A significant (more than 10%) one- or two-day drop in the market.
  • Timothy Geithner is replaced with Paul Volcker.
  • The 100th day of a bankruptcy by General Motors Corp.
  • Gold at $2,000 an ounce.
  • The Dow Jones Industrial Average changes more than two names at the same time, and/or adds names to increase the overall number of stocks in the index.
  • New York Stock Exchange daily volume drops to 1 billion shares for 30 sessions in a row.
  • One million jobs lost in a month.
  • Stock market favorites see 15% to 20% declines.
  • CNBC goes off the air.
I think the author omitted one: 2B purchases a variable annuity.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Top 10 headlines that could signal a market bottom

Some serious, some not....
  • CNBC goes off the air.
My favorite.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Use of psychology to measure bottoms is useless. Gloominess is trailing, not leading. Of course psychology will be at its most gloomy when a bottom is reached, and this can only be determined in hindsight. If the market drops further, the effect will be that we'll get even more gloomy.

There were a lot of articles trumpeting the end of capitalism at the 9500 mark, too.
Cruising2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - I get back from the the old doughnut shop a little while ago and CNBC has a blurb about the 40% of stocks that have advanced since the Nov low.

It's those silly ole financials that are masking recovery. We need to buy high tech among other things.

Whoopeee! I'm gonna switch over to the classic movie channel and see if Shirley Temple is tap dancing thru the Great Depression - old time movie wise.

heh heh heh - Hope those Vanguard computers rebalancing my Target Retirement on full auto haven't missed anybody. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The problem is that the stock market is BECOMING the financial mess, and not just reflecting it. I don't believe government policy should generally try to prop up stock prices but we are reaching a point where it is becoming every bit as much of the economic/financial death spiral as housing and the banks.

Every day the market believes the policymakers are clueless and rudderless is another day that's likely to be another down day amidst continuing uncertainty, is another day retirements bust, pensions fail and cities and states teeter closer to the brink. The market isn't just a by-product of the economy; it is increasingly becoming a driver of the economic nightmare.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising2022 View Post
Use of psychology to measure bottoms is useless. Gloominess is trailing, not leading. Of course psychology will be at its most gloomy when a bottom is reached, and this can only be determined in hindsight. If the market drops further, the effect will be that we'll get even more gloomy.
It depends upon who you are measuring. Take a look at IBD Bull/Bear index or
AAII
AAII BEARS
Old 03-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm really disappointed. A thread title like this, and no one has posted any signs containing any bottoms yet? A quick google image search of "sign of a bottom" reveals a few potential candidates.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm really disappointed. A thread title like this, and no one has posted any signs containing any bottoms yet? A quick google image search of "sign of a bottom" reveals a few potential candidates.
Is this what you have in mind?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sign.jpg (28.8 KB, 10 views)
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

That's it! Market rally tomorrow!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The surest sign of a bottom is when people stop caring enough to look for it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
The more people that say they see signs of the bottom the more I worry that we're going deeper, farther and longer.
I really do see signs of a bottom.

j/k
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This was all I could find. It's not a sign of a bottom, but rather an ass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg donkey.jpg (11.1 KB, 186 views)
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

CNN Alert: Dow surges more than 200 points after Citi says it was profitable in the first two months of 2009.

Pandit memo: Citi profitable in 2009

Bottom Sign?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
CNN Alert: Dow surges more than 200 points after Citi says it was profitable in the first two months of 2009.

Pandit memo: Citi profitable in 2009

Bottom Sign?

Or a bear market rally ? Check out this DOW chart from the 20-30's.

Look at all of those rallys on the way down.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote