Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have not spent much time in the east to see if 78F is tolerable there. I believe humidity has a lot to do with how one feels.

Also here, unless you stay inside the home throughout the summer, going from a cold home out into the 115-120 heat will give you thermal shock.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was a very young lad, I spent some winter and summer weeks on my grandfather's farm in rural NC. He was "off grid" except for lighting. We had to cut wood to heat and cook. We had no air conditioning. He had no TV, just a large radio.

Today, I have internet connectivity, my Carrier heat pump keeps my house cool in the summer and warm in winter. I have three TVs, two routers, three Rokus, two refrigerators (one for beer and one for sustenance), one oven, one convection oven, one dishwasher, one clothes washer, one clothes dryer, chargers for various cell phones and tablets and a stereo system that broadcast its pleasing sounds throughout my house.

My electric bill averages $5.50 per day year round. I thank God every day that I don't have to chop wood anymore. I had to give up Starbucks coffee to make this huge expense tolerable.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have not spent much time in the east to see if 78F is tolerable there. I believe humidity has a lot to do with how one feels.

Also here, unless you stay inside the home throughout the summer, going from a cold home out into the 115-120 heat will give you thermal shock.

That is true. When I am out in Vegas the 95 degrees there does not feel like the 95 in MO. When I am outside I don't mind being hot and sweaty as long as I am active even in very hot conditions. But when its sitting time, I like to do it in a cool house. I wonder if age has anything to do with it too? I have noticed the past few years that it can get too cool inside for me and I have no use for 68 degrees inside unless I am sleeping under covers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have not spent much time in the east to see if 78F is tolerable there. I believe humidity has a lot to do with how one feels. ...
Humidity has a lot to do with it. But our AC is not over-sized, and that is important here, as by running a higher duty cycle when you need it, it is pulling more humidity from the air. I guess RH at 70-80% is typical on hot summer days when we run the AC?

I tend to go by comfort rather than be a slave to a number on the thermostat. But in general, I'd say that when the AC is on, we are at typically at ~ 77-78. The humidity comes down pretty quick (but still might be ~ 50, IIRC), and the air movement feels good. We sleep with a ceiling fan on. Anything cooler than ~ 76 would probably seem uncomfortably cold to me. But we will get it down to 72 if we are having a group over on a hot day, to pre-chill the house.

I can't understand why some people set the AC colder in the summer than they do the heat in the winter. Add to that that we are wearing shorts and a t-shirt in summer, and long sleeves and layers in the winter.

-ERD50
Old 06-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

My highest electric bill was $335 last August, for 2626 kWh that month. My last 12-month utility cost is $2085 (no gas). This was for a 2,700-sq.ft. home.

Up in my high-country home, I set the thermostat at 45F year round, except that when I was up there recently I had to turn on the AC as it reached 93F. My wife complained about being cold at 80F!

I do like the cold better than the heat. Even in the winter, I sleep in shorts and t-shirt, rarely under the cover, and have a table fan blowing over me. This drives my wife crazy, as she complains about freezing.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Update.
DW reports that the new power bill is $64. The small bill was an anomaly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Update.
I don't think you'll ever be able to discern the incandescent--> CFL savings in your power bill, there are just too many other factors that make the monthly use erratic. But you know the savings are there if you are using the lights.
It's even more problematic with big expenses that have squishier "watts saved" calculations. Increased attic insulation and radiant barriers save on cooling costs, but it's hard to say how much when looking at actual bills (due to degree-days, thermostat settings, etc). I tend to trust the research/calculators I used before I make the investment, rather than trying to look at ongoing energy use and see the difference.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Update.

I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!!

Way back from post # 5....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Can you really attribute the $50/month reduction to lighting?

Yes, LEDs and CFLs are more efficient, but that's a lot of light... spreadsheet time...

OK, so for the approx delta of a 60W bulb versus 14W CFL, to make up $50 at roughly the national average of $0.11 per kWh, you would need to replace...

Forty-one 60W bulbs that were burning 8 hours a day all month!

That's a lot of light! Maybe your rates are higher, but even at triple, that's 14 bulbs @ 8 hrs a day.

Anything else to attribute the change to? Maybe estimated reads? Maybe a billing plan?

-ERD50
-ERD50
Old 07-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

We replaced a lot of little halogen and old fashioned incandescent lamps with LEDs.

I'll bet the longer days had an effect as well.

At our northern latitude we do like a lot of light.

As the bills roll in we will see if there is a real long term effect.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #150
Administrator

Yes, surely having the lights on more would have a greater effect than the type of bulb one uses.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, surely having the lights on more would have a greater effect than the type of bulb one uses.
Surely?

A filament bulb uses about 4x the energy that an equivalent CFL or LED does. So you could switch bulb types from filament to CFL/LED and have the lights on four times as much and there would be near zero effect on the bill.

That's a LOT more 'lights on' time, for no effect. How do you come to your conclusion?

I stand by my original statement, a person is unlikely to be able to parse out the bulb type savings across all the variability in a month-to-month bill. Better to make a good estimate of usage and calculate it on a spreadsheet.

-ERD50
Old 07-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

In the process of probing the power supply of my TV while fixing it, I found that its entire internal video circuit runs all the time, even when the TV appears to be off.

Modern electronics always draw some phantom power, basically to keep at least the remote control function alive so that they can respond to "Power On" command. But because this TV takes a minute to boot up its digital processor, they keep the whole thing active.

I did not think of measuring the power draw before, so was shocked to find that this thing draws 60W when off. Turned on, it draws 210W. The 60W power drawn works out to $5/month in electricity cost. It is not a lot of money, but is still a waste. I am going to unplug it when not in use, and suffer the 1-minute boot time.

This 10-year old TV was fairly advanced in its time, and cost $4000 then. A modern replacement would cost less than $1000, but as we do not watch much TV, I find it difficult to get rid of something that still works.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I did not think of measuring the power draw before, so was shocked to find that this thing draws 60W when off. Turned on, it draws 210W. The 60W power drawn works out to $5/month in electricity cost. It is not a lot of money, but is still a waste. I am going to unplug it when not in use, and suffer the 1-minute boot time.

This 10-year old TV was fairly advanced in its time, and cost $4000 then. A modern replacement would cost less than $1000, but as we do not watch much TV, I find it difficult to get rid of something that still works.
The newer TVs are much better though. I measured the OFF draw from the power strip with a 55 TV, DVD, and RCVR plugged in, ~ 1W for all combined. The 55" TV (Vizio - purch DEC2012) by itself, when ON, drew ~ 80 Watts.

-ERD50
Old 07-18-2015, 01:21 AM   #154

Having worked to make set top boxes energy star I can tell you that newer, energy star tvs are going to put every chip and circuit to "sleep" that they can. (The set top I was involved with was not DVR so we didn't get the easy savings of turning off the hard drive.). Depending on the TV... If it's a smart TV it may needed to listen to more than the remote... It may be listening to the internet or upstream plant - another set of times that can't be turned off .
Old 07-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #155
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
In the process of probing the power supply of my TV while fixing it, I found that its entire internal video circuit runs all the time, even when the TV appears to be off.

Modern electronics always draw some phantom power, basically to keep at least the remote control function alive so that they can respond to "Power On" command. But because this TV takes a minute to boot up its digital processor, they keep the whole thing active.

You should use a power strip that has an on/off button on it to make it easy to do.

You have encouraged me to find someone to borrow one of those kill-a-watt things from to measure the draw
Old 07-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

I should mention that we installed a switch for the flat screen and associated equipment recently as well. I am sure that helped.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #157
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You have encouraged me to find someone to borrow one of those kill-a-watt things from to measure the draw
If you're serious about saving power a Kill-A-Watt meter is the best $20 investment you can make. A few years ago after getting one I realized that my old Sears freezer was drawing so much juice that if I bought a new one to replace it, it would pay for itself in 3 years or so.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
If you're serious about saving power a Kill-A-Watt meter is the best $20 investment you can make. A few years ago after getting one I realized that my old Sears freezer was drawing so much juice that if I bought a new one to replace it, it would pay for itself in 3 years or so.
I agree that a Kill-a-watt meter is a great investment.

Using it, I realized that my ancient fridge and freezer really were not too bad, and it was not worth replacing them. A new model might save me $30- $40/year. That would be a long payback, and I fear the new models may not be as reliable or long lasting as these proven beasts (my 1988 model freezer uses ~ $75 of kwh per year - replaced a $20 thermostat, and some little plastic vent caps in all those years).

I also learned that most of the stuff that I was concerned about using 'phantom' power weren't bad at all, and I no longer bother to shut them off. But I found a few old things that used as much 'off' as 'on' - so those got shut off.

-ERD50
Old 07-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

I have read on other forums some libraries lend out Kill A Watt meters. We bought one, and combined with hourly electric usage reports, have really been able to slash our energy bills. I also bought a thermal leak detector.

One of our biggest surprises was the power drawn by Bose speakers when not actively being used.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote