Join Early Retirement Today

A tremendous planning opportunity?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A tremendous planning opportunity?

I have only had some initial discussions with a tax expert on this, but I think this would work and might be a way for some individuals to retire earlier or generate more income. I'll float it out there for comment.

As The Wall Street Journal pointed out again last week, next year will bring a lowering of long-term capital gains to 0% for those in the lowest tax brackets. (See section three if of interest http://www.house.gov/jct/x-54-03.pdf http://www.house.gov/jct/x-54-03.pdf It seems to me that individuals with large appreciation of stock could sell without paying taxes using the following approach..I think there should be some readers who have appreciated company stock in the 401ks who could take advantage of Net Unrealized Appreciation (NUA) rules to eliminate this long-term apprecation.

The idea is to drive your tax bracket down to the lowest bracket in 2008 by taking only SS income (if you are already receiving SS or going to receive it) and Roth distributions for your income in 2008...You would give up potential tax-free growth on the Roth assets but for some this may be more than countered by taking tax-free stock apprecation..I would welcome any thoughts from those who are tax-wise.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A tremendous planning opportunity?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New_Thinking:

I have thought of your idea also.

However if you take moderately big or bigger capital gains then you are subject to the AMT tax. Therefore the amount of tax-free income that you could get is limited

Old 01-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

MB - I don't think the AMT applies..Look at the link under Seciton IIIA. Says applies to the AMT too....This was confirmed by my colleague who is very good with taxes.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This cage has been rattled before. Only the first ~63k (or something like that) of capital gains would have the zero percent applicable to them. Gains above that would be subject to the 15% (or higher) rates.

Martha covered this a couple of times.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I suspect, with the changing political winds, we may look back upon these days with fondness re: the tax treatment of cap gains ...
Old 01-25-2007, 03:31 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

i have come to the conclusion that the politicizations are in it for themselves. especially the new dems in congress... it is pathetic and sad.

the country needs leadership from the USA , and the world is in termoil. the dems are like sharks.
instead of standing behind the pres and showing strength, they are like sharks taking bites from a beaten whale.

we must stand up against islamo bullcrap NOW.... or we all will have to deal with it later. And all of our taxes , portfolios and families will be affected!

can we stop the friggin bickering , stand behind our leader and defeat this evil challenge? this is the question....
Old 01-25-2007, 04:14 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
I suspect, with the changing political winds, we may look back upon these days with fondness re: the tax treatment of cap gains ...
Rush Limbaugh predicted the other day that we will
"never see taxes this low again!" A pretty bold broad
statement. I wouldn't bet against him though.

JG
Old 01-25-2007, 05:27 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah.. that's really going out on a limb..
"we'll never see taxes going as low as ZERO again.."!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:12 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

it is not the taxes i am most worried about , it is the idiot Democrats wanting to "bargain" with the enemy and not destroy them!

the one thing i dont mind spending my tax dollar on is defense....

how bout a little covert operation to take out these crazy leaders of::
siria ,Iran, north korea etc.

wouldnt that be easier than all our war?
Old 01-25-2007, 06:14 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

cause they are coming for us!!!!!!!!! and sooner (rather than later) they will be here
Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Here is a thread where we talked about the 0% rate for the years 2008-2010.

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...3872#msg213872

If the capital gains put you into the 25% bracket, then those excess gains will be taxed at the 15% higher rate rather than the 0% rate. So, unless you limit your capital gain income and other income so you stay below the 25% bracket, any gains that put you outside that bracket will be taxed at 15%.

Currently the rates on long-term capital gains is 15% for taxpayers in the 25% bracket or higher and is 5% for individuals in the 10% and 15% tax brackets. In 2008 through 2010, the 15% rate remains the same but the 5% rate drops to 0%. After 2010, the capital gain rates will return to the old 20% and 10% rates, and the five-year holding period rules and rates return.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Martha - Thanks for the link as I did miss this..Still seems that someone (married in this example) with proper planning could have taken $80k+ in appreciated ER stock in 2007 and 2008 to total $160k or so (since standard deductions and exemptions and paid either 5% or 10%..Then could live off say $40k for four years with SS and still due Roth conversions up to the 15% limit for those years..From that point, the Roth income could be coupled with SS and no tax would be paid..In the meantime, you keep converting down your IRA rollover to the 15% limit each year..therefore you keep your IRA taxes down and SS taxes at zero.

But I might be missing something....