Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-20-2016, 10:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
What do you think the inflection point is? My pension is small but larger than this, I'm taking the about $1000/month at age 55 until I take social security, no COLA, option - work froze the plans a couple years ago, I'm 42 now. I chose this because it felt nice to pad the income until social security kicks in and reduce the withdrawal amount on my portfolio by about 10% for those seven years.

I really do not know... it is different for different people... I just think size does make a difference in the decision making...

I do not think $1,000 a month is a small pension... not big either mind you...

My mom has a pension (from my dad) that is $109 per month... it started 40+ years ago at $45 per month... she was lucky as they would make increases along the way, but usually had a $5 per month minimum... so it kept going up... I think this is small and would have recommended her take a lump sum (but, who knows for sure as the lump sum might have been much worse back then)...

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 05:19 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The pension is far better than a commercial annuity (6.3% payout). Assuming an average lifespan the OP would have to average 5.6% annual interest on the lump sum to match the pension. So I'd probably go with the pension and just treat it as some nice fixed income.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52
Target AA: 70% equity funds / 28% TIAA-Traditional/ 2% cash
Target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension, rent, and eventually SS
nun is offline   Reply With Quote