Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

my 2 centavos worth
Old 07-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

my 2 centavos worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
She just "discovered", all of a sudden, after they were married, that he had no retirement assets whatsoever?

You'd think that after a bad marriage like her first one, she would have developed some self-protective instincts. Maybe she is waiting for someone to shake her and yell "Wake up and smell the coffee!"

Unfortunately, it sounds like she is developing a pattern of choosing men who will victimize her.
This is why serious consideration of prenups must be made for second marriages and above!!!!
MGYog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you or wife know any nice, stable single guys around her age. Some marriages are better ended early before they get too ugly.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank god for their pre-nup agreements!
I would let this marriage go.....their financial style is totally against each other. How the heck does he get so much business when his own affairs are in such a mess? I guess none of his clients have asked to see his assets!
I have learned to watch like a hawk as potential dates talk about money and how they treat their finances......a little attention can ward off a lot of problems later on.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

It seems like a lot of us have dating standards similar to financial underwriting standards... or even better in light of what is happening now!
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Because he should know all about financial security, it may be the case that he married her with ulterior motives. Perhaps he wants someone liquid enough to take care of him when he can no longer work, because obviously he has made some very poor financial decisions...
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What does the pre-nup protect - other than her assets if they get divorced and her assets for her heirs if she dies first?

Does a pre-nup protect her from any debt that both their names are on should he die? Does a pre-nup protect her from the required "spend-down" prior to qualifying for Medicaid if he ends up in a nursing home? I don't think so, but maybe someone who knows can comment.

spncity
spncity is online now   Reply With Quote