Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Just curious how many follow the age in bonds school of thought ?

Going on 60 years of and have about 60% of portfolio in equities with no real desire to change.
At age 60, DW/my joint retirement portfolio had the same equity target as you. Today (three years older), our AA is set at 50/50 (50% equity/50% bond-cash).

We lowered it to a 50% equity target not because of reducing risk, but finding out that a lower target still showed we would meet our plan with slightly reducing market risk.

What will tomorrow/next year/next decade bring? Stay tuned.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been 50/50 (domestic and international total stock indexes/total bond index) for the last six years so the 2008 crash wasn't as catastrophic for me as some, but I haven't made the most out of the rebound either. Still I think it's the place to be as it will meet my ER requirements nicely. The only allocation change I see myself making would be going 45/45/10 to give me a 3 year cash bucket as I move into ER.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 51, DW is 50, and we're at ~20% bonds. Empty nesters, we own the house, decent pension & SSI starting at 60.

Cb
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote