Join Early Retirement Today

AA Thoughts
Old 11-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

AA Thoughts

Hi,

I am a few years from my RMD. My IRA represents about 30% of assets. With pension, SS, and investment earnings, I will reach or go slightly above the top of a tax bracket. So, most of an IRA withdrawal places me in the next tax bracket.

To date, I have not looked at my entire portfolio as one investment. So, there is a split of stocks and bonds in each account (IRA and non-IRA). It does turn out (by coincidence or luck) that my AA is in-line with my objectives.

Now that I am developing a 'single' portfolio and recognizing the tax implication of my RMD, I am considering an investment approach that I am requesting input which will not change my AA but is designed to be a better tax solution without disrupting growth. Here is what I am considering:

- Execute all bond funds in IRAs that will require RMDs. This is to slow the growth of what I expect will be income that will be taxed at the next level
- Place all equities in taxable accounts and do my best to manage them for long term gain so they are taxed at 15% (under todays tax code).
- Money left at the end of the plan will mostly be left for inheritance but some will be donated. The allocation of inheritance and donation will likely be informed by the amount.
- I am aware of the RMD charity opportunity and am prepared to donate a portion of the RMD. The remaining RMD after taxes are paid will be reinvested in one of the taxable accounts.

Does this strategy make sense from an investment and tax basis? Or should I be considering something else? Clarifying questions are welcomed
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, what you outlined makes sense. Also, read https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-...fund_placement if you haven't already done so.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #3

You have described the same approach that we use. The only caveat that I would insert is, don't create unnecessary unwanted tax consequences in your taxable accounts in order to achieve your goal. EG, don't sell appreciated bond funds in your taxable account, unless you can offset with long term losses. We also reallocate annually for the entire portfolio AA, within our IRA's, avoiding taxable events.

As you stated, we reinvest the net RMD after taxes in our Taxable accounts. We also focus on purchasing international equities with the new Taxable account money. That way you'll get the Foreign Tax credit.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
....The only caveat that I would insert is, don't create unnecessary unwanted tax consequences in your taxable accounts in order to achieve your goal. EG, don't sell appreciated bond funds in your taxable account, unless you can offset with long term losses. ...
Keep in mind that in your early years of retirement with no earning but before SS or pensions start, your income may be such that your capital gains are 0% rather than 15%.... an ideal time to reposition taxable account assets with gains the way you want... even if bond fund sales result in a gain it would be 0%.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #5

Good point. Having never been in that position unfortunately, the thought did not occur to me, so I would revise my advice to sell bonds only to the threshold that there are 0% cap gains in any given year. Hopefully over time the OP can reorganize his AA distribution without affecting his taxes.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP can consider to buy a (I forget the actual name, but someone will tell us) delayed annuity from OP's IRA money up the cost of $125,000 to be paid when OP is much older.

This takes that $125K out of the RMD calculation for many years, and gives OP a big boost to income when much older and possibly needing it, plus gives some protection in case of 1929 Depression type stock market returns.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP could consider within the taxable account, to move $$ into really tax efficient ETF's and broad conservative non-dividend paying investments like BRK.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #8

Thanks all for your input. It was helpful and raised my confidence.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:44 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Keep in mind that in your early years of retirement with no earning but before SS or pensions start, your income may be such that your capital gains are 0% rather than 15%.... an ideal time to reposition taxable account assets with gains the way you want... even if bond fund sales result in a gain it would be 0%.
Also, if this is the case, OP may want to consider Roth conversions.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
Also, if this is the case, OP may want to consider Roth conversions.
Agreed, in fact I decided to prioritie Roth conversions over capital gains trading... in part because of the stepped up basis.