Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Ziggy I have no intention of getting into a p match with you. The truth is that current baby boomers have already made a sacrifice in 1983. Our contribution increased and our benifits were cut.
There is an indexing of benefits - it's called income tax. The rate at which ss is taxed is not indexed and I don't belive has changed since about 1981

The cola is also less than a seniors CPI and actual ss value of SS is dropping.

It's all in the way you wish to color it.

Why should we have means testing on retired CEOs but not increase working CEOs SS contribution

I'm tired of being made out a greedy senior - it's not fair and it's not true. And it's not a strawman - I stand by my statements of fact.

I won't post on this subject again - I understand where you are coming from - I don't agree - but please do not try to dismiss my arguments - they are at least as valid as yours.

I'm trying to find myself.* Have you seen me anywhere today?
Mysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #22
Originally Posted by Mysto View Post
Ziggy I have no intention of getting into a p match with you. The truth is that current baby boomers have already made a sacrifice in 1983. Our contribution increased and our benifits were cut.
If one believes that current seniors "played by the current rules all their lives" and should not be asked to share the sacrifice or accept a change to the rules on their benefits, that is fine. I disagree (at least for the most affluent seniors even as a symbolic gesture that we're all in this together), but I'm not going to vilify or demonize those who feel otherwise.

That's not the "peeing match" here. That comes from your remarks acting as if those who disagree want to screw all seniors and starve the poor ones. THAT is what boils my blood, not merely believing that older folks should be exempt from any future "pain" in SS changes.

Believe what you want. But please stop mischaracterizing the intentions of those who believe differently. That is my beef here, not that you may disagree with me. I'm just sick and tired of any suggestion about shared intergenerational sacrifice being equated by those who oppose it with advocating that we "let Grandma starve". Fair enough?

[Edit to add: By the way, I started working and paying SS tax in 1982. So didn't I also make the sacrifice in 1983 by paying higher rates and seeing my FRA rise to 67? Plenty of folks below the "magical cutoff age" above which people may be exempt from further screwing already "made the sacrifice" in 1983 as well.]

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Shared? Which of your proposals affect those who are presently retired?
Of course we'd have to put numbers against all these proposals, but, just as a thought experiment, see if we can think of a total package that doesn't involve a still greater wealth transfer from high earners to low earners.

They are not proposals per se.... they are the combination of things that will (likely) happen. How much (money) each of those items will contribute to the solution will be the great debate.

I suppose in theory I might be aligned with A on some issues and B with other issues. But I do not believe these issues will or should wind up as A or B... rather a compromise that will result in AB.

That is the reality my friend. If for some reason they (the politicians) do not compromise.... you and I (the middle class are at risk and) will likely lose!

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote