Join Early Retirement Today

AARP's online Driver Safety Program?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

AARP's online Driver Safety Program?

One of the "benefits" of sorting through my father's mail is an AARP postcard claiming that my auto insurance company might offer me and spouse a discount for taking AARP's online driver safety program.

USAA affirms that they'll reduce our premiums by nearly $40/year for three years if spouse and I complete AARP's program. We'll presumably get a certificate or some other voucher from AARP which we'll report to USAA. USAA claims they don't even need verification-- just our word that we've passed the course and received the credit.

One significant downside to this idea would be selling our contact info to AARP for a paltry $40/year. I work pretty diligently at getting on DO NOT MAIL lists and keeping the junk mail down, and I've read elsewhere that once you're in AARP's database it's almost impossible to shut off the snail-mail and spam. However we're talkin' $40/year here.

Has anyone taken this online program? Any advice or anything you'd do differently? Any success stories on getting AARP to shut off the direct-mail spigot?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
gone traveling

TNSTAAFL...

My thought is that since you're already getting junk mail/spam from them you might as well get the $40/year as well.

How much more cr*p can they send you, anyway?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
One of the "benefits" of sorting through my father's mail is an AARP postcard claiming that my auto insurance company might offer me and spouse a discount for taking AARP's online driver safety program.

USAA affirms that they'll reduce our premiums by nearly $40/year for three years if spouse and I complete AARP's program. We'll presumably get a certificate or some other voucher from AARP which we'll report to USAA. USAA claims they don't even need verification-- just our word that we've passed the course and received the credit.

One significant downside to this idea would be selling our contact info to AARP for a paltry $40/year. I work pretty diligently at getting on DO NOT MAIL lists and keeping the junk mail down, and I've read elsewhere that once you're in AARP's database it's almost impossible to shut off the snail-mail and spam. However we're talkin' $40/year here.

Has anyone taken this online program? Any advice or anything you'd do differently? Any success stories on getting AARP to shut off the direct-mail spigot?
DH and I have done the in-person program twice now, every three years, and we'll continue in order to get the discount. I think any discount on insurance is worth it. That's 40 bucks to spend on something else. Even though we don't like the organization we both have health insurance through them because where we live it's cheaper. If we get junk mail from them I really haven't noticed it; in fact, at this point we don't get much snail mail at all anymore and don't go to the post office very often (which is where we have to go to get our mail here in the outback).
Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I took the program a few years ago and I did not see any increase in junk mail from them and it does lower your rates .
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

FWIW, it took me over five years to get (mostly) off AARP's mailing list. The most dogged organization I've ever seen. Currently down to only a few times a year, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they were still selling my contact info to others.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

My spouse and I both took the AARP Defensive Driving Course this past year. Once we completed it, I logged onto USAA and updated our driver information with the date of completion. I have taken several "in person" defensive driving courses over the years. I must admit the AARP was the most pleasant one. The material was age related and not uninteresting (DD is usually uninteresting).

We each took the course over two days. Any more than that you forget some of the things and the final test is comprehensive. It wasn't a hard test - just easier to take if you don't spread out the course over too many days.

We'll take it again in three years.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, $40/year is hard to pass up. Shucks, I'll never get around to spending $300K/year if I keep picking up sidewalk nickels like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisALot View Post
DH and I have done the in-person program twice now, every three years, and we'll continue in order to get the discount.
I haven't checked for a couple of years, but I don't think anyone in Hawaii offers any in-person defensive driving courses.

So my daughter decided to get her defensive-driving experience by volunteering to live in Houston...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
So my daughter decided to get her defensive-driving experience by volunteering to live in Houston...
I think it's more like fine-tuning her survival skills....
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These were the online choices Geico gave me. I took one of them and it was a piece of cake:
Texas Defensive Driver Discount

If your policy is rated for the state of Texas, you could save up to 10% on applicable coverages by taking a defensive driving course. One way to take advantage of this discount is through an online defensive driving course offered by either the National Safety Council, or the American Safety Council (United Safety Council).
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #10

USAA does accept the AARP Defensive Driving Course.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Texans are required to take an "offensive" driving course. Most seemed to have passed with flying colors...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
These were the online choices Geico gave me. I took one of them and it was a piece of cake:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Texans are required to take an "offensive" driving course. Most seemed to have passed with flying colors...
I can't believe that USAA has done this, but they've classified our daughter as an "occasional driver" ever since she passed her test. Their logic was that we have a household with two cars and three drivers. Now that she's in college, of course, she truly is an occasional driver, but as you guys have noted the risks of driving in Houston would seem to be a tad higher than the risks of using H-1 to get to the beach.

Regardless of the logic or the risks, we haven't been charged a penny extra for her for over two years so far. So a defensive driving class wouldn't save us parents any money on our policy.

But we'll suggest that she consider a defensive driving class during college breaks. It'll help her drive better and someday might even save her money on her own insurance policy.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:
I can't believe that USAA has done this, but they've classified our daughter as an "occasional driver" ever since she passed her test. Their logic was that we have a household with two cars and three drivers. Now that she's in college, of course, she truly is an occasional driver, but as you guys have noted the risks of driving in Houston would seem to be a tad higher than the risks of using H-1 to get to the beach.

Regardless of the logic or the risks, we haven't been charged a penny extra for her for over two years so far. So a defensive driving class wouldn't save us parents any money on our policy.

But we'll suggest that she consider a defensive driving class during college breaks. It'll help her drive better and someday might even save her money on her own insurance policy.
Nords, does your daughter have a car with her? If not, then make sure USAA codes her away at college without a car. It's supposed to be 150 or so miles away from college. I'll have to look - I think Hawaii to Houston would meet the criteria.

Also, if she keeps at least a B average (doing this from memory - you'll have to ask) she'll qualify for a Good Student Discount. The Away at School and the Good Student Discount may be mutually exclusive.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
Nords, does your daughter have a car with her? If not, then make sure USAA codes her away at college without a car. It's supposed to be 150 or so miles away from college. I'll have to look - I think Hawaii to Houston would meet the criteria.
If she has a car with her then she hasn't told me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
Also, if she keeps at least a B average (doing this from memory - you'll have to ask) she'll qualify for a Good Student Discount. The Away at School and the Good Student Discount may be mutually exclusive.
You seem to be really focused on this concept of a "discount" for her, but the point I'm trying to make is that we've never paid a dime for our daughter's vehicle-insurance coverage from the day she passed the test for her learner's permit, let alone since she left the islands.

Even if she was eligible for a 100% discount it wouldn't change our costs.

But $40/year for spouse and me is a discount of over 5%.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #15

I was just trying to give you some other suggestions on how to save on your car insurance. Sorry.....

The Defensive Driving discount more than pays for the course.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #16

i joined aarp for the discount on home and auto. i did not want to receive all their political propaganda so i told them to stop sending it to me. it all stopped, no hassle. maybe my choice of words re their political views helped?

i found amica to be MUCH cheaper than aarp and gladly took my dollars elsewhere, i hated supporting aarp.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
i joined aarp for the discount on home and auto. i did not want to receive all their political propaganda so i told them to stop sending it to me. it all stopped, no hassle. maybe my choice of words re their political views helped?

i found amica to be MUCH cheaper than aarp and gladly took my dollars elsewhere, i hated supporting aarp.
Buying AARP sponsored products doesn't put money into AARP's bank account. The vendor (insurance, hotels, car rentals, etc.) pays AARP a fee for access to their member lists. Sales of the products to individuals don't figure in the sponsorship payment.

-- Rita
Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #18

I asked AAPR to code me as no solicitation when I joined. It took me quite awhile to get Reader's Digest to quit sending me junk.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #19

Hmm - anybody successful with United Airlines and their junk for credit cards? Seems they find me wherever I live in the world...irritating to have to shred their crap constantly as it is a credit card app with my name address, etc on it....
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #20

I've come to the conclusion that AARP will never give up. One way I've found that works for most organizations is to take any junk mail I receive that has a postage paid return envelope in it and stuff all the crap into their envelope and send it back to them. Doing that a couple of times usually ends the junk mail. It hasn't worked with AARP though.