AARP's online Driver Safety Program?

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
One of the "benefits" of sorting through my father's mail is an AARP postcard claiming that my auto insurance company might offer me and spouse a discount for taking AARP's online driver safety program.

USAA affirms that they'll reduce our premiums by nearly $40/year for three years if spouse and I complete AARP's program. We'll presumably get a certificate or some other voucher from AARP which we'll report to USAA. USAA claims they don't even need verification-- just our word that we've passed the course and received the credit.

One significant downside to this idea would be selling our contact info to AARP for a paltry $40/year. I work pretty diligently at getting on DO NOT MAIL lists and keeping the junk mail down, and I've read elsewhere that once you're in AARP's database it's almost impossible to shut off the snail-mail and spam. However we're talkin' $40/year here.

Has anyone taken this online program? Any advice or anything you'd do differently? Any success stories on getting AARP to shut off the direct-mail spigot?

TNSTAAFL...

My thought is that since you're already getting junk mail/spam from them you might as well get the $40/year as well.

How much more cr*p can they send you, anyway?

One of the "benefits" of sorting through my father's mail is an AARP postcard claiming that my auto insurance company might offer me and spouse a discount for taking AARP's online driver safety program.

USAA affirms that they'll reduce our premiums by nearly $40/year for three years if spouse and I complete AARP's program. We'll presumably get a certificate or some other voucher from AARP which we'll report to USAA. USAA claims they don't even need verification-- just our word that we've passed the course and received the credit.

One significant downside to this idea would be selling our contact info to AARP for a paltry $40/year. I work pretty diligently at getting on DO NOT MAIL lists and keeping the junk mail down, and I've read elsewhere that once you're in AARP's database it's almost impossible to shut off the snail-mail and spam. However we're talkin' $40/year here.

Has anyone taken this online program? Any advice or anything you'd do differently? Any success stories on getting AARP to shut off the direct-mail spigot?

DH and I have done the in-person program twice now, every three years, and we'll continue in order to get the discount. I think any discount on insurance is worth it. That's 40 bucks to spend on something else. Even though we don't like the organization we both have health insurance through them because where we live it's cheaper. If we get junk mail from them I really haven't noticed it; in fact, at this point we don't get much snail mail at all anymore and don't go to the post office very often (which is where we have to go to get our mail here in the outback).

I took the program a few years ago and I did not see any increase in junk mail from them and it does lower your rates .

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

FWIW, it took me over five years to get (mostly) off AARP's mailing list. The most dogged organization I've ever seen. Currently down to only a few times a year, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they were still selling my contact info to others.

My spouse and I both took the AARP Defensive Driving Course this past year. Once we completed it, I logged onto USAA and updated our driver information with the date of completion. I have taken several "in person" defensive driving courses over the years. I must admit the AARP was the most pleasant one. The material was age related and not uninteresting (DD is usually uninteresting).

We each took the course over two days. Any more than that you forget some of the things and the final test is comprehensive. It wasn't a hard test - just easier to take if you don't spread out the course over too many days.

We'll take it again in three years.

Yep, $40/year is hard to pass up. Shucks, I'll never get around to spending $300K/year if I keep picking up sidewalk nickels like this.

DH and I have done the in-person program twice now, every three years, and we'll continue in order to get the discount.
I haven't checked for a couple of years, but I don't think anyone in Hawaii offers any in-person defensive driving courses.

So my daughter decided to get her defensive-driving experience by volunteering to live in Houston...

These were the online choices Geico gave me. I took one of them and it was a piece of cake:
Texas Defensive Driver Discount

If your policy is rated for the state of Texas, you could save up to 10% on applicable coverages by taking a defensive driving course. One way to take advantage of this discount is through an online defensive driving course offered by either the National Safety Council, or the American Safety Council (United Safety Council).
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/auto_event_insurance_auto_product

Last edited:
Texans are required to take an "offensive" driving course. Most seemed to have passed with flying colors...

These were the online choices Geico gave me. I took one of them and it was a piece of cake:
Texans are required to take an "offensive" driving course. Most seemed to have passed with flying colors...
I can't believe that USAA has done this, but they've classified our daughter as an "occasional driver" ever since she passed her test. Their logic was that we have a household with two cars and three drivers. Now that she's in college, of course, she truly is an occasional driver, but as you guys have noted the risks of driving in Houston would seem to be a tad higher than the risks of using H-1 to get to the beach.

Regardless of the logic or the risks, we haven't been charged a penny extra for her for over two years so far. So a defensive driving class wouldn't save us parents any money on our policy.

But we'll suggest that she consider a defensive driving class during college breaks. It'll help her drive better and someday might even save her money on her own insurance policy.

I can't believe that USAA has done this, but they've classified our daughter as an "occasional driver" ever since she passed her test. Their logic was that we have a household with two cars and three drivers. Now that she's in college, of course, she truly is an occasional driver, but as you guys have noted the risks of driving in Houston would seem to be a tad higher than the risks of using H-1 to get to the beach.

Regardless of the logic or the risks, we haven't been charged a penny extra for her for over two years so far. So a defensive driving class wouldn't save us parents any money on our policy.

But we'll suggest that she consider a defensive driving class during college breaks. It'll help her drive better and someday might even save her money on her own insurance policy.

Nords, does your daughter have a car with her? If not, then make sure USAA codes her away at college without a car. It's supposed to be 150 or so miles away from college. I'll have to look - I think Hawaii to Houston would meet the criteria. :LOL:

Also, if she keeps at least a B average (doing this from memory - you'll have to ask) she'll qualify for a Good Student Discount. The Away at School and the Good Student Discount may be mutually exclusive.

Nords, does your daughter have a car with her? If not, then make sure USAA codes her away at college without a car. It's supposed to be 150 or so miles away from college. I'll have to look - I think Hawaii to Houston would meet the criteria. :LOL:
If she has a car with her then she hasn't told me...
Also, if she keeps at least a B average (doing this from memory - you'll have to ask) she'll qualify for a Good Student Discount. The Away at School and the Good Student Discount may be mutually exclusive.
You seem to be really focused on this concept of a "discount" for her, but the point I'm trying to make is that we've never paid a dime for our daughter's vehicle-insurance coverage from the day she passed the test for her learner's permit, let alone since she left the islands.

Even if she was eligible for a 100% discount it wouldn't change our costs.

But $40/year for spouse and me is a discount of over 5%.

I was just trying to give you some other suggestions on how to save on your car insurance. Sorry.....

The Defensive Driving discount more than pays for the course.

i joined aarp for the discount on home and auto. i did not want to receive all their political propaganda so i told them to stop sending it to me. it all stopped, no hassle. maybe my choice of words re their political views helped? :whistle:

i found amica to be MUCH cheaper than aarp and gladly took my dollars elsewhere, i hated supporting aarp.

i joined aarp for the discount on home and auto. i did not want to receive all their political propaganda so i told them to stop sending it to me. it all stopped, no hassle. maybe my choice of words re their political views helped? :whistle:

i found amica to be MUCH cheaper than aarp and gladly took my dollars elsewhere, i hated supporting aarp.
Buying AARP sponsored products doesn't put money into AARP's bank account. The vendor (insurance, hotels, car rentals, etc.) pays AARP a fee for access to their member lists. Sales of the products to individuals don't figure in the sponsorship payment.

-- Rita

I asked AAPR to code me as no solicitation when I joined. It took me quite awhile to get Reader's Digest to quit sending me junk.

Hmm - anybody successful with United Airlines and their junk for credit cards? Seems they find me wherever I live in the world...irritating to have to shred their crap constantly as it is a credit card app with my name address, etc on it....

I've come to the conclusion that AARP will never give up. One way I've found that works for most organizations is to take any junk mail I receive that has a postage paid return envelope in it and stuff all the crap into their envelope and send it back to them. Doing that a couple of times usually ends the junk mail. It hasn't worked with AARP though.

Before I update this thread, is there anyone among the 14,000+ members of this board who has actually completed the AARP online defensive driving course?

I see several of you have done it in person... anyone done it online recently?

Does anyone know off hand if we would get a larger discount for taking any DD course in-person instead of on line? I'm 65, DW is 63. State Farm insurance.

Probably not a good idea, but it would be fun to show up for an in-person course in the Corvette with the exhaust open, my helmet on the seat, and numbers on the door. Hmmmm...
Smarter to take the Toyota, I guess.

OK, no reportage from other online alumni, so here's my thoughts on the online course: "Don't do it."

I'm two hours into AARP's online course, and if I have to spend another six hours on it for the graduation certificate then I'd rather devote that time to another colonoscopy prep.

This might just be my own learning style. I don't watch much TV or movies and I generally don't have a lot of patience for information dribbled out at a video pace. (Heck, I can barely wait long enough for this discussion board to load without bringing up Windows Solitaire.) I'd rather read the curriculum (at my personal fast speed) or go hands-on.

I've spent so much time in front of a classroom that I find it very difficult to sit in one as a student, especially if I have to watch an instructor's poor teaching mannerisms while I'm trying to learn. However I also know how to sit in the back of the class, keep my mouth shut and my eyes open, and just pass the time with my own thoughts.

You can't do that with the AARP online course. You still have the annoying voice slooooooowly reading the words on your screen to you, perhaps accompanied with background music or (even worse) actual testimony from other drivers. You have to click a "Next" button on every single freakin' screen, which is no more than three sentences. (It won't advance until you click on the button, sometimes more than once.) To add to the torture, the "Next" button doesn't appear until your announcer has finished droning through the material. Even worse, there's a fast-forward button that works on its own mysterious criteria.

What this means is that a screen loads up and the announcer starts to e-nun-ci-ate the words to you. You've already read them in one glance, and you get it, but you have to spend another 10 seconds randomly clicking on the "FF" icon or trying to guess where the "Next" button will appear. Then it doesn't always respond to the first mouse click. Another screen loads with two sentences and the Chinese Water Torture repeats. Every 10 screens or so you get to "participate" in some sort of random "click around the screen" exercise or an opinion poll. Then you discover that you've just finished module 2.1 of 2.8 in section two. Of eight sections. Just gimme the final exam already, and if I fail a section then I'll sit through those screens.

If you log out to take a break (or if your modem/router glitches) then the presentation backs up a few screens to some arbitrary breakpoint before starting again. If you interrupt the presentation by clicking on the menu then the presentation backs up to that starting point again.

The material isn't much better. I appreciated the screens showing what the view would look like with cataracts or glaucoma or macular degeneration, but I don't need 10 screens of information on how to consult my health professional at every single bodily twinge. I don't need to know how to ask my passengers to talk quietly so that I can concentrate on driving and on listening to the environment for sirens or other traffic. I finally gave up on the alleged course when I got to the second screen (of who knows how many) on the proper neck flexibility & stretching exercises to conduct before you get behind the wheel. After, of course, you consult with your health professional to determine if it's OK to attempt these exercises.

You'd think that the action would move more quickly on the "high bandwidth" setting, but that just lets AARP liven things up with video and animations (which take even longer to buffer). After some experimentation I found that the dialup setting actually moves things along a little faster and with less padding. But there's still plenty of frustration.

The experience would be far more tolerable if AARP had just put a mic on a classroom instructor (while they were teaching actual students) and recorded their audio while showing the PowerPoint presentation. "Pause" and "rewind" are far more helpful than "Next".

Did I mention that spouse and I would each have to do our own separate eight-hour sessions? No sitting side-by-side at one screen discussing the options before choosing our answers-- we each have to log in to our own accounts, click our own quota of "Next" buttons, and pay our separate fees.

I paid $19.95 for the hypothetical opportunity to save $40/year for three years. It's so bad that I'm not even going to ask AARP for my money back. I'm hoping to just let my account expire before my personal information comes to the attention of one of their humans.

Thanks for the warning Nords.

Some years ago, instead of a safe driving course, I signed up for an EVOC - emergency vehicle operator's course. It was maybe 50 or 60 bucks more, the value -priceless.

The instructor(s) were PA State police types. Lively instruction. Course included lots of vehicle dynamics, some accident forensics, traffic observation, laws and rules for emergency vehicle operation, good bit of police stories, then a driving course mostly slow speed precision maneuvering. Rule 1: Don't get caught steering with one hand on the course. 2 Days, great fun.

Maybe next I'll sign up for a high speed driving course.

Sounds like the online course is a pita. It's be more fun to show up in person on the Suzuki C90T.

But track day at Summit Point Motorsports Park would likely be better.

Back
Top Bottom