Join Early Retirement Today

About 30% of retired Canadians returned to work to pay bills, says ING survey Read m
Old 01-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

About 30% of retired Canadians returned to work to pay bills, says ING survey Read m

About 30% of retired Canadians returned to work to pay bills, says ING survey | CTV Winnipeg News

Nearly a third of retired Canadians, or 30 per cent, have returned to work and the main reason is they misjudged how much the easy life would cost.

I wonder what is the percentage for USA.

Looking to retire or semi-retire by 45 based on our net worth going to $6 million outside our house.
kmt1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Probably about the same percentage.

I give them all kudos for trying. No better way to find out than to try.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought these poor Canadians just crossed the border once or twice a month to fill up with cheap American gasoline, buy cheaper stuff at Walmart and Costco, and pick up some unique items at Trader Joe's. ??!?!?!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I thought these poor Canadians just crossed the border once or twice a month to fill up with cheap American gasoline, buy cheaper stuff at Walmart and Costco, and pick up some unique items at Trader Joe's. ??!?!?!
I thought they were all snow birding in the SE and SW USA.......
Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1972 View Post
About 30% of retired Canadians returned to work to pay bills, says ING survey | CTV Winnipeg News

Nearly a third of retired Canadians, or 30 per cent, have returned to work and the main reason is they misjudged how much the easy life would cost.

I wonder what is the percentage for USA.
That number really sounds high!

Looking at the article, I do note that only 10% went back to work full time (31% of the 30%). The article isn't clear as to whether some of those working part time had planned to do so from the get-go. That is, retired from full time employment with the intention of dabbling with some part time work. This as opposed to retiring with the intention of never working at all again and then finding you are forced to return to work because you predict you will run out of money.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Retire while you can. It is easier going back to work than it is coming back from the dead.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Retire while you can. It is easier going back to work than it is coming back from the dead.
LOL. ( I'd rather die than coming back to work after RE. Even if I live like a homeless, I ... am ... not ... coming ... back ... to ... work. Over my dead body. Over my dead body. Over .... )
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
LOL. ( I'd rather die than coming back to work after RE. Even if I live like a homeless, I ... am ... not ... coming ... back ... to ... work. Over my dead body. Over my dead body. Over .... )
Wow. You guys hated your job that much? While my job has a good amount of stress I actually very much enjoy it and enjoy the people I work with. Of course one will ask the question why I am thinking about retiring early? The reason is I am also very lazy and I enjoy doing nothing than going to work, even if it is work I enjoy. After I retire still hope to maintain the personal relationships I have at the workplace.

Looking to retire or semi-retire by 45 based on our net worth going to $6 million outside our house.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #9

Lots of jobs, mine included, would be very hard to return to after even a few years attempted retirement. I'm counting on getting it right when I go so I don't have to come back for more years at a lesser job I can get.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Lots of jobs, mine included, would be very hard to return to after even a few years attempted retirement. I'm counting on getting it right when I go so I don't have to come back for more years at a lesser job I can get.
This is very true for me. If I had to go back to work after retiring for a couple of years the best I can do is a much more junior role at about half the pay.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have some Canadian friends who returned to work - but it was because the NA oil boom made them offers they couldn't refuse.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am a retired Canadian, and I think I will be OK. I live in a part of the country that attracts retirees. As I get to know more people in the community I have realized that some of them retired when not financially ready to do so, and they are cutting expenses and looking for job opportunities. As we all know, members of this forum are outliers. Not everybody is LBYM, obsesses about SWR, and builds spreadsheets for every possible scenario. Like many parts of life, for many people this is trial and error.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
As we all know, members of this forum are outliers. Not everybody is LBYM, obsesses about SWR, and builds spreadsheets for every possible scenario. Like many parts of life, for many people this is trial and error.
I do get that I am an outlier along with many here. But I am still surprised at the number of former co-workers we know where their personal financial lives and retirement plans are not looking great, yet they are project managers for a living. Their jobs center around planning, budgeting and making spreadsheets for 6 - 8 figure project budgets. If they can't plan well financially for day to day expenses, let alone for retirement, who can? And why don't they? They have the skills. The required budgeting skills are part of their basic job functions.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The last two sentences of the article indicate that the statistic is interesting but may not be valid:

Quote:
Both of the online surveys were conducted with about 1,000 randomly selected Canadian adults who were at least 55 years old and Angus Reid Forum panellists.
The polling industry's professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error because they do not randomly sample the population.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yes, but the penetration of online access is quite high, and if anything, one might expect that people who answer online surveys would at least have access to the information they need to make good financial decisions.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it is really a survey of the population of people older than 55 who belong to the survey forum and who opted to take this survey (and it looks like survey takers get rewarded for taking surveys: "As a ‘thank you’ for each survey you complete, you will be rewarded with 0.5 to 5 Survey Dollars or entries into sweepstakes draws to win gift certificates or cash.") not a random sample of the general population of Canadians older than 55 who had retired.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am a retired Canadian, and I think I will be OK. I live in a part of the country that attracts retirees.
OT question here, but what part of Canada attracts retirees? Nothing strikes me as a retirement haven the same way as with certain states in the US.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
About 30% of retired Canadians returned to work to pay bills, says ING survey...
Old 01-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

About 30% of retired Canadians returned to work to pay bills, says ING survey...

British Columbia has a relatively mild climate and lots of interesting places to explore. While Vancouver has a rainy climate (like Seattle), Victoria has more sunshine. I live in the BC Interior, specifically the Okanagan Valley, where the climate is relatively dry, summers are hot and sunny, and winters relatively mild (for Canada).
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Chuckanut, Do you live in Whatcom county or does every highway down have a Walmart, Costco and Trader Joe?

On topic,

Most of the people I know that retired and returned to work did so because they wanted to work and maximized their income by collecting retirement and salaries. Most of these were semi-high to high income. One guy that seemed to love to be busy said he and his wife used their after retirement income to spoil their grandchildren.

I do see many older people working retail and odd job/yardwork around me. Some look tired and others look like they are enjoying it. To each his/her own.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1972 View Post
Wow. You guys hated your job that much?
Yes; actually the organization/people.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote