Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
Where did he buy the travel health insurance? As far as I know it is not available to those over 65.

We have had plenty of over 65 visitors from the UK who have had travel health insurance. We talked to a relative age 84 a couple of years ago and he told us that his international traveling days were over because travel health insurance was too expensive - still available but too expensive for him.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We have had plenty of over 65 visitors from the UK who have had travel health insurance. We talked to a relative age 84 a couple of years ago and he told us that his international traveling days were over because travel health insurance was too expensive - still available but too expensive for him.
That would be another good reason to have a passport from an EU country in retirement. Can't you get an EU health travel card for other EU countries then with no age restrictions on health care?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
That would be another good reason to have a passport from an EU country in retirement. Can't you get an EU health travel card for other EU countries then with no age restrictions on health care?
I believe so, but I don't know the details. It is not just a matter of a having a passport, which I have, you have to also be a resident tax payer as well. (The USA is almost unique in taxing its citizens regardless of where they reside).
Old 11-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
There is a reciprocal agreement between EU countries for health insurance. If you are covered under the NHS you can get a free European Heath Insurance Card

Cover your healthcare abroad - The NHS in England - NHS Choices

However, having a UK passport does not entitle you to NHS coverage, you have to be resident in the UK to be covered under the NHS.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodiy2k View Post
If it fails we can go back to Canada where we can always stay with relatives and get free healthcare while deciding what to do next
We are both Canadian, living in Florida. The problem with going back is it is so cold in winters.

Where in Mala"z"ia were you planning to settle? Is the weather not brutal year round?

For us the key areas of consideration are in order: 1a) Availability of affordable SOCIALIZED healthcare; 1b) Weather; 2) Housing costs.

I think Weather and healthcare can be interchanged.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #46

Quote:
On my last trip to the US I was able to buy travel insurance even though I am a US citizen. I am a resident in the Philippines but my citizenship is US only.

I know a lot of people who have done this, had successful medical claims, etc. (mainly US expats living in Mexico who visit the US) However, I do recall that some travel insurances seem to exclude US citizens for insurance for visits to the US.

I just looked it up, I used World Nomads