Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just a quick follow up.

Got my police report in the mail today. Then went to a currency exchange to get notarized the affidavit document I created at ftc.gov about a couple weeks ago.

Still no sign of any misuse or creation of accounts in my name. No news is good news.

Next, I'll just file this stuff away for my own record and keep the police report handy for when I need to freeze/unfreeze my credit as I understand, since I'm now an ID victim, in my state, the freeze/unfreeze should be free upon proof.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Been working (bad word around here, I know) more on my ID Theft situation. Here's a good site that tells what sort of steps to take:

https://www.identitytheft.gov/

On step 3 is to report the theft to the FTC. I did that online. On Step 4 is file a report with your local police department.

I just came back from my local police department. When I first told the officer why I was there, he kind of chuckled and then I said, "You've seen something like this before?" and he said yes. I showed him my letter and he took down some info that asked too to make sure the letter was legit. So, we talked about that for a moment. Overall he was helpful.

I brought in my printed affidavit that I filled out earlier. There's a section for the officer's signature if filing a report in person. When I asked, can he do that, he freaked out backing off saying no one has ever asked that before. I didn't push it and said I'll just wait for the report (I gotta pick that up in about 10 days).

From what I learn is the affidavit and police report is to CYA in case in the future, say someone breaks the law under your identity or screws up you credit, then you have proof as a victim instead of getting asked "Did you call the police?. How do we know the crook wasn't you?" Plus, the report shows you are victim for freezing and unfreezing your credit reports.
I'm trying to get this straight here.

You got a letter from the IRS that someone attempted to access your IRS records? And that was enough to get a police report?

I guess that's a little more firm and can be construed as ID theft as compared to a letter that notifies you of a data breach.

I'm trying to figure out if a letter notifying of a data breach is sufficient for us to go to DPS and get an incident report (or police and get a police report) so that DH doesn't have to pay for his credit freeze.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm trying to get this straight here.

You got a letter from the IRS that someone attempted to access your IRS records? And that was enough to get a police report?

I guess that's a little more firm and can be construed as ID theft as compared to a letter that notifies you of a data breach.

I'm trying to figure out if a letter notifying of a data breach is sufficient for us to go to DPS and get an incident report (or police and get a police report) so that DH doesn't have to pay for his credit freeze.
Yes, I think a letter such as the one from the IRS transcript hack shows more than one saying a data breach as the latter says you may be vulnerable, but the IRS letter says you data was obtained.

Not sure if you used a data breach letter would that be sufficient for a police report.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I think a letter such as the one from the IRS transcript hack shows more than one saying a data breach as the latter says you may be vulnerable, but the IRS letter says you data was obtained.

Not sure if you used a data breach letter would that be sufficient for a police report.
That's what I'm thinking. Because in your case they know someone specifically tried use your identity = ID theft.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

BTW - the IRS fraudulent access numbers were greatly expanded yesterday AND they're having serious problems with people getting the special TAX ID PINs fraudulently because they still use the idiot credit report based questions to verify identity that are so easy to spoof.

IRS: 390K More Victims of IRS.Gov Weakness http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/02/i...-gov-weakness/

And even worse:
Thieves Nab IRS PINs to Hijack Tax Refunds
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/03/t...k-tax-refunds/

The stupid identity questions - today, DH got two questions from Experian* that ONLY he could know, according to their website. The questions - what county does he live in, and what model car does he drive. Now everybody in our $&@%! neighborhood knows the answers to those questions. In fact - everybody we know locally knows the answer, as well as quite a few not locally. How ridiculous is that!!!!

*DH was signing up for the free credit monitoring from Experian because he was exposed to the T-Mobile data breach (caused by Experian).
Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

To establish a person's identity, they should not use public records.

The problem is perhaps that's all they have.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
BTW - the IRS fraudulent access numbers were greatly expanded yesterday AND they're having serious problems with people getting the special TAX ID PINs fraudulently because they still use the idiot credit report based questions to verify identity that are so easy to spoof.

IRS: 390K More Victims of IRS.Gov Weakness http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/02/i...-gov-weakness/

And even worse:
Thieves Nab IRS PINs to Hijack Tax Refunds
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/03/t...k-tax-refunds/

The stupid identity questions - today, DH got two questions from Experian* that ONLY he could know, according to their website. The questions - what county does he live in, and what model car does he drive. Now everybody in our $&@%! neighborhood knows the answers to those questions. In fact - everybody we know locally knows the answer, as well as quite a few not locally. How ridiculous is that!!!!

*DH was signing up for the free credit monitoring from Experian because he was exposed to the T-Mobile data breach (caused by Experian).
I haven't started filing my taxes yet. Fingers crossed that my security PIN isn't stolen. So crazy that IRS would sent the PIN by mail but then also allow for the PIN retrieval by their website.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I haven't started filing my taxes yet. Fingers crossed that my security PIN isn't stolen. So crazy that IRS would sent the PIN by mail but then also allow for the PIN retrieval by their website.
Yeah, drives me nuts!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To cut down on this is the IRS set up to ignore electronic filings upon request? Can people tell them "Ignore any electronic filings in my name, look only for my tax return via conventional mail"?