Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Today was a great day for the banks and I'm feeling a little bit better about things. After 6 years out of the workforce and applying for one job that I heard was later "cancelled", I have since tightened my belt like crazy and am just hanging on. I'm down about 70%. But today I'm up about 10%. Maybe I'll make it and maybe I won't.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I'm in a very similar leaky boat - inherited 9000 shares of a regional bank in 2000. I then proceeeded to pay off my house, my car, stash some cash away. I stopped working in 2003. On Friday, my bank stock was down to $4/share and the divided was cut to .01. I'm going back to work.
I'm not back to work, so far. Have cut back like crazy. We'll see what happens...

Old 04-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #63
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you're gonna stay, then stay. If you're gonna leave, then say goodbye and leave. No revolving doors.
decision time? music to ponder by:

Old 04-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the way this community pulls together and with heart felt comments and some wise humor support the people hurting. I am also in Virginia and can stay FIRE but I will say you have your health and family and that is wonderful. I wish you well and maybe a wonderful adventure or some new talent will be shown to be true in you that you did not know about.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very sorry to hear about your loss, from a fellow Virginian. As others have said, it's good you still have your sense of humor, and health is the most important factor, one that we don't have full control over.

FWIW, I made and lost small fortunes in the 90s with dot coms and options, and both times had to push back my RE. But I came back from both losses, not to regain what I had, but to make enough that I could once again plan retirement, even if not as early.

Best of luck in whatever paths you choose to follow.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For those of you posting "goodbye and best wishes" to VA Collector, please note he posted his departing message in January and hasn't been heard from since.

That said, there is certainly nothing wrong with laying a verbal wreath on the grave of a sad victim of lack of diversification.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
For those of you posting "goodbye and best wishes" to VA Collector, please note he posted his departing message in January and hasn't been heard from since.
Well, remember this big chunk of empathy?
Quote:
If you're gonna stay, then stay. If you're gonna leave, then say goodbye and leave. No revolving doors.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, remember this big chunk of empathy?
C'mon Senor Crusty Ha - it's his many years of undersea training. Revolving doors in a sub = not such a good idea. Step outside and slam the door when 750 feet down and you ain't coming back. For whatever reason he seems to feel strongly about it, but surely others can practice the mantra, "you ain't the boss of me". I just remembered the thread and poster and hoped he was doing better.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Should I Stay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
decision time? music to ponder by:
Can't hear this without thinking about this version.

Good ole Tony

Old 04-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - best wishes and good luck to those that are moving on.

I'm struggling with the recent thought - that after Easter, the local guru says it's safe to get out in the yard and garden and plant.

So throttle back - get outside and do something useful! Naw - now that I have perfected the art of vaporous, no useful information or social redeeming quality posts - I feel a moral obligation(to myself) to earn my Curmudgeon certificate and keep - I know it's not a competion post count up(10th) - .

16th year of ER - and Social Security says given my birth year - this summer I pass into official olde phartness.

Now that I graduate this year - where do I order the ER grad ring and pick up the diploma?

Hmmmmm.

heh heh heh - To post or nor not to post that is the question. Whether it is nobler to ------.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess Jesus didn't take that advice too seriously...

Old 04-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

"... Mr. Herod, I knew Mr. Christ, and you, sir, are no Mr. Christ".
Old 04-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Well, Jesus Christ, I guess he merits a waiver then.

What's the excuse of the rest of the revolving-door posters?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

I hadn't noticed he'd popped in? When & where was it?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I hadn't noticed he'd popped in? When & where was it?
On the way to Emmaus he met a man with seven wives, each wife had seven bags, each bag had seven kits, and so on.

This is a vision test; do you prefer image one or image two?

Hermansz. van Rijn Rembrandt - Christ in Emmaus

Web Gallery of Art, image collection, virtual museum, searchable database of European fine arts (1100-1850)
Old 04-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #76

Quote:
Well, Jesus Christ, I guess he merits a waiver then.

What's the excuse of the rest of the revolving-door posters?
Why is there a need to humiliate and post to make sure VA_collector never comes back? That is just absurd.

Nords you promote every other retirement site on the internet here in an effort to get this site to lose posters and repeatedly threaten to leave, which is even more childish than actually leaving but apparently 3 posts per day other than your own on those sites aren't enough to hold you interest. I surmise that as long as there is the volume of people here to review and praise the chapters of your book you are writing you'll continue to post.

VA_Collector was a class act and I would hope he would come back, he sought advice, realized what he was doing and it went bad for him, any author that truly cared about the fortune of retirees would see how demoralizing that was personally to him, and would refrain from using his misfortune as chapter or a blurb for your book or use as a means to castigate other individuals. A self-centric person would do as you are doing.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by running_man View Post
why is there a need to humiliate and post to make sure va_collector never comes back? That is just absurd.

Nords you promote every other retirement site on the internet here in an effort to get this site to lose posters and repeatedly threaten to leave, which is even more childish than actually leaving but apparently 3 posts per day other than your own on those sites aren't enough to hold you interest. I surmise that as long as there is the volume of people here to review and praise the chapters of your book you are writing you'll continue to post.

Va_collector was a class act and i would hope he would come back, he sought advice, realized what he was doing and it went bad for him, any author that truly cared about the fortune of retirees would see how demoralizing that was personally to him, and would refrain from using his misfortune as chapter or a blurb for your book or use as a means to castigate other individuals. A self-centric person would do as you are doing.
hear hear!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Wow, there are certain posters I have on ignore that I am profoundly grateful to see quoted once in a while: it inevitably reaffirms my choice to ignore them in the first place.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Wow, there are certain posters I have on ignore that I am profoundly grateful to see quoted once in a while: it inevitably reaffirms my choice to ignore them in the first place.
Just checking to see if I am one of them.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #80

Okay, two cents time here. I'm not normally a fan of "GBF" ("Good Bye Forever") posts, at least in the context of someone leaving in a hissy fit over an argument or policy or some such. That's also true of the folks who occasionally (but sometimes repeatedly) have emotional outbursts or feel a need for validation, and they hope people will plead with them to return.

But having said that, I think the OP was not in that class. I think his was one of desperation and despair, and of feeling like you're not allowed to "be here" if you aren't retired early or on track to retire early. His was an unfortunate lesson in the consequences of inadequate diversification.

But the market over the last few months has led a LOT of us to wonder if early retirement is an attainable goal any more. Nevertheless, we still have the common bond of wanting to "get out" sooner rather than later, even if for some people, it will turn out to be later. And we still share the same information about handling money, investing for retirement, being cheap bastages saving and shedding debt, all of which increase out chances of getting out. Whether we can tell Megacorp to kiss off at 45 or 65, that still applies.

So I do hope the OP realizes that it's not necessarily all hopeless, that it's not that there's nothing to be gained by participating or not that it's only a place for people who will be able to punch out for the last time by their fifties. (And I hope he held through the recent rally.) And if these are some of the reasons he left, I hope he'd consider returning.

And there's my two cents:

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote