Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ditto on naughty innuendos....if not for them and other comic relief, I would have lost interest a while ago. I love to laugh and raise an eyebrow or two.

One of the best benefits I have received from this forum is how to live with my recently retired DH in peace and not whack him two days after his retirement!
Guilty as charged (naughty innuendos).
Humor is my way of coping with last year's carnage in the market. I try to keep it somewhat clean (PG rated), but cannot resist throwing the slow pitch out there. And I just love the responses! I sincerely hope some of you are laughing your heads off along with me at this end.

Honestly, I've often questioned my own ability to contribute to the sophisticated market and financial discussions. So far, I am still a novice. And probably will remain so. I'm OK with that if you're all OK with that.
It makes me feel really good when I post a short reference to a factual site and it is utilized in the discussion.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post

...But just speaking for myself, I hold back on my posts because in the back of my mind I realize that whatever I post here will be instantly accessible around the world within hours. Sort of a chilling effect knowing the big brother cloud is out there looking down.
There is a very interesting discussion of online identity here:
Online identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm more worried about online predators than I am Big Brother. He already knows all about me from my c*reer. But I'm no longer under that kind of benevolent scrutiny. Say bye-bye.
I am personally very careful about NOT posting "tracking" info like very distinguishable face photos, real zip codes or actual city names, using numbers in my alias that have meaning to my location or identity, etc. We can never be too careful when online, eh?
Having our collective posts so easily and universally searchable is also bothersome to me. But that is not my decision, so I filter my posts accordingly.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
There is a very interesting discussion of online identity here:
Online identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm more worried about online predators than I am Big Brother. He already knows all about me from my c*reer. But I'm no longer under that kind of benevolent scrutiny. Say bye-bye.
I am personally very careful about NOT posting "tracking" info like very distinguishable face photos, real zip codes or actual city names, using numbers in my alias that have meaning to my location or identity, etc. We can never be too careful when online, eh?
Having our collective posts so easily and universally searchable is also bothersome to me. But that is not my decision, so I filter my posts accordingly.

Me, i'm terrified of the garbageman, the gas pump jockey, the bagboy at the grocery store, all my tenants who know where i live and what my name is.... Figure they all have far more access to my info than some faceless person on the interweb. Can either stew about it or go "Eh - i'm just not that important".
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #124
gone traveling

Quote:
Honestly, I've often questioned my own ability to contribute to the sophisticated market and financial discussions. So far, I am still a novice. And probably will remain so. I'm OK with that if you're all OK with that.
It makes me feel really good when I post a short reference to a factual site and it is utilized in the discussion.
The nice thing about having so many diferent forums is that everyone can post where they are the most comfortable, visit only the forums that interest them, and not worry about being able to keep up in areas in which they have an interest, but not necessarily the expertise. Some prefer the banter, some prefer serious SWR discussions. Others prefer bacon, innuendo, FIRE-related political discussions, or beaver cheese. It's this diverse group that makes this forum work, it would be pretty boring if everyone was idealistically, financially, morally, and politically aligned.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I understand where you're comin' from. I probably put too much info on this forum, but I look at it this way.....I remember the first time I went to the doc and he said "Scoot down more...more...there you go." At that point, I felt my privacy went out the window.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #126
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I understand where you're comin' from. I probably put too much info on this forum, but I look at it this way.....I remember the first time I went to the doc and he said "Scoot down more...more...there you go." At that point, I felt my privacy went out the window.
FWIW, I have been told that I need to try to see things from others point of view...
Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Me, i'm terrified of the garbageman, the gas pump jockey, the bagboy at the grocery store, all my tenants who know where i live and what my name is.... Figure they all have far more access to my info than some faceless person on the interweb. Can either stew about it or go "Eh - i'm just not that important".
The garbageman, of course!
I read an article several years ago about women being stalked and worse due to too much info release on the net, so I use that as my datum. Mystery is a girl's best friend.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.... Mystery is a girl's best friend.
Absolutely! You go, girl!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow! I haven't been around much lately and just stumbled into this thread. I am amazed out how it evolved. I like this forum for many reasons and I read more than contibute as I feel I have more to learn than to share.

But, to keep this post relative, some folks do need to relax a bit and take things a little less serious personal! Now if I only had access to Dawg54's beer drinking smiley head.....
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back, guest; I thought maybe you were away on spring break. Actually I was a little confused as 263 other people are reading the forum as "guest."
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks CuppaJoe! Spring is coming and I find myself outside more than in and have been a busy camper, garden and such.....but that is a good thing!

Hindsight, I would change my name but that isn't how it works!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #132
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I think we could work out something if you wanted to become "Notaguest"
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #133
gone traveling

Quote:
..not necessarily.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Yes! If a member has a plausible reason to want to change his/her username, just contact one of the admins such as Janet.

I think "guest" has a good enough reason, personally....

I am going to have to ask/beg/plead to have my username changed, too, in just a little over 200 days now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #135
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am going to have to ask/beg/plead to have my username changed, too, in just a little over 200 days now.
Any thoughts on who you would like to become? "Want2retire&did" maybe?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Any thoughts on who you would like to become? "Want2retire&did" maybe?
Well, that might sound a little awkward. I really have no idea, but I'm sure something will come to mind.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking forward to W2R's 100 day countdown!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

But, to keep this post relative, some folks do need to relax a bit and take things a little less serious personal! Now if I only had access to Dawg54's beer drinking smiley head.....
Burp.......... Personal?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...Now if I only had access to Dawg54's beer drinking smiley head.....
Dawg, are you accepting bids ?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #140
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Well, that might sound a little awkward. I really have no idea, but I'm sure something will come to mind.
You could try FinallyRetired2
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote