Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

I thought Dawg had a prescription for those meds.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #142
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'm looking forward to W2R's 100 day countdown!!!

Me too!! The days are just racing by..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
You could try FinallyRetired2
That would confuse 'em, wouldn't it?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, Jesus Christ, I guess he merits a waiver then.

What's the excuse of the rest of the revolving-door posters?
And, what about the "once per year" pot shot posters?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy View Post
And, what about the "once per year" pot shot posters?
Hey, everyone needs a vacation from H0sucamania now and then...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Dawg, are you accepting bids ?
Not for sale.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Most here know my story but here's a quick synopsis for those who may have missed it....

November 2006 - inherited 10,000 shares BAC (approx value $550,000)

Feb-May 2007 - bought 5000 more shares for the steady dividend (25+ years with consistently raising it too!) - $250,000 in saved monies...
What!!? So, it sounds like VaCollector had posted here back in 2007 telling everyone that he put all his eggs in one basket. Granted that at the time, BAC was doing well. But no one, NO ONE here told him that it was the wrong thing to do? I just can't believe it. Or may be someone did, but he ignored the advice?

Sam
Old 04-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey, everyone needs a vacation from H0sucamania now and then...
Correct; now and then...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
What!!? So, it sounds like VaCollector had posted here back in 2007 telling everyone that he put all his eggs in one basket. Granted that at the time, BAC was doing well. But no one, NO ONE here told him that it was the wrong thing to do? I just can't believe it. Or may be someone did, but he ignored the advice?

Sam
Check out this thread from July 2007 and please give us a summary of your findings...

Bank of America

and this one from Oct 2007: Bank Stocks

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #149

Quote:
Check out this thread from July 2007 and please give us a summary of your findings...

Bank of America
I just checked it out. That's more like what I expected. Thanks REWahoo.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Bank of America

Maybe I missed something. Someone, I think 2B, said no more than 10% in any one stock. If he followed this VaCollector would be here today. But others were supportive or noncommittal. I notice that I passed on making any post at all. My only investment in BAC in my entire life was for a few weeks fall of 2007. Am I ever glad!

Ha
Old 04-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #151

Well, now its easy to look at history and say a concentrated portfolio in BofA might not be the best approach to long term ERdom. But I wonder, how many ER have most of their funds in Berkshire Hathaway and feel bulletproof?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Well, now its easy to look at history and say a concentrated portfolio in BofA might not be the best approach to long term ERdom. But I wonder, how many ER have most of their funds in Berkshire Hathaway and feel bulletproof?
I don't remember anyone here saying that they are in that position.

Ha
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #153

Quote:
I don't own Berkshire Hathaway, but I did, I would feel perfectly ok today. BRK is not a single company stock.

Bulletproof? Don't invest, spend every penny you have now, so you can't ever lose.

Sam
Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I don't own Berkshire Hathaway, but I did, I would feel perfectly ok today. BRK is not a single company stock.

Sam
Yes, that's the point, a lot of people feel that Berkshire is just like a mutual fund because of the multiple holdings. BUT the difference here is that Berkshire could bet the store (sort of like that obscure division of AIG that sank the boat by its bets) and most owners would't know it until after the fact. After all, Warren seems to have indulged in some derivatives....
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I don't remember anyone here saying that they are in that position.

Ha
I don't remember anyone saying so either. Does that mean there aren't any?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't remember anyone saying so either. Does that mean there aren't any?
Nope; and I am not implying that it did establish the aboslute nonexistence of such people. That would be beyond our powers wouldn't it?

Ha
Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Bank of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Maybe I missed something. Someone, I think 2B, said no more than 10% in any one stock. If he followed this VaCollector would be here today. But others were supportive or noncommittal. I notice that I passed on making any post at all. My only investment in BAC in my entire life was for a few weeks fall of 2007. Am I ever glad!

Ha
I was a little surprised that there wasn't more reaction to so much in one stock. However, note that those posts were in the " Stock Picking (Individual Security Analysis)" forum. Many of the diversification proponents don't really pay much attention to individual issues, or if they do, take diversification for granted.

So maybe it's not that surprising. If it was a question in the "FIRE and Money", and he asked about diversification, I think many people would have been all over it.

-ERD50
Old 04-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #158

There was an annoying guy here a few years back who used to talk about the great yields on his GM bonds, and how he could ignore the price fluctuations as long as he kept getting the coupons.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Is anybody else feeling the urge to spend your cash reserves??

Crazy....maybe so.....or (just maybe) this could be one of those "once in a lifetime" opportunites that we've all heard about

.....more than several GREAT stocks at bargain basement pricing....especially those financials that everyone is running away from as fast as they possibly can!!

I'm so tempted to go ALL IN that it's scary!!

HELP!....go ahead....talk me out of it ....or into it....I'm all ears.....and I have an AM buy order ready for a few thousand more shares.....'cause this stuff CAN'T keep going down....UGH....but that's what I've been hearing since last October.....

VACollector did ask for opinions, but sadly he was mainly asking for validation and obviously ignoring advices to the contrary. Above was his OP on a thread in "Stock Picking" and not "Fire and Money". The former may not be as widely read, as ERD50 pointed out.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

I saw the earlier posts talking about concentration in BRK. Could ejman be remembering a post I made?

About 5-6 months ago, I made a "threat" to fire all my mutual fund managers - Dodge&Cox, Weitz, and Third Ave - and to give all those holdings to Buffet. I was upset that these value funds had a high content of financial stocks, hence went down harder than the broad market, and of course Berkshire.

Since then, I did sell some but not all of those mutual fund holdings for tax write-offs, and did buy BRK/B. At this point, I only have 4% in BRK/B, while I initially thought of going to 30%. Instead, I have used some of the money to buy some ETFs and other stocks. So far, so good.

The only time I had more than 10% in any stock was when I had my 401k with my megacorp. Even then, it was only 30% of portfolio. I know some friends who "put it all in" when this megacorp was near bankruptcy in the early 90s. They later RE'ed with a cool $1M+ 401k. Near $2M to be exact.

Yes, they "went all in" while there were lay-offs, and talks of the megacorp going belly up. I am telling you, some people got huge balls.