Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Just checking to see if I am one of them.
Nope, I don't have you on the d*uchebag list.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Wow, there are certain posters I have on ignore that I am profoundly grateful to see quoted once in a while: it inevitably reaffirms my choice to ignore them in the first place.
"Hear hear" indeed!

Riskadverse (risk "averse"?), you're welcome to read my "revolving door" post in its full context.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...6&postcount=50

VaCollector made a number of extremely difficult decisions, and I think he dealt well with the options he had available to him.

I think that if he came back to this board then he'd end up re-reading his old posts. He'd also have to read about this situation every time someone one showed up on the board touting Buffett's debatable wisdom of a concentrated stock portfolio. In my opinion there's no reason to keep picking at old amputation scars. So I think his decision to leave was a good one. It took guts, too.

As Ziggy has already said, there are a number of discussion-board posters who threaten to leave the stage just to hear the audience cry "Encore!!" I don't include VaCollector in this number, but that number would certainly benefit from growing a spine like he displays.

I've said it ad nausem: I don't care for the way this site is run for profit. I don't care for the way that crowds of newbies (and spammers, and trolls) are driven here in the relentless pursuit of revenue. I don't care for the way that every post here could show up among Google's top 10 hits within two hours. I don't care for the way that moderators had to deal with humongous workloads from crowds of new members who aren't interested in ER or experiments like the SoapBox or the way that this site's infrastructure was initially "upgraded" after Dory handed it over.

But I gratefully appreciate the dozens, even perhaps hundreds, of veteran posters who've informed and advised and challenged me over the years. When I ask my niche questions on other ER boards I don't get anywhere near this board's volume of responses, let alone the quality of answers. That's the status quo, so until circumstances change then I'll continue to seek the wisdom of the best posters on the most informed website available-- even if it's not run the way it could be.

34 names remain on my "Ignore Poster" list, many of whom have subsequently been banned. The mods would prefer that I not post the contents of my list here, but I'll mention a feature of this board's software. vBulletin will let my "ignored posters" send me all the PMs they want. It just won't deliver them, and it won't tell the ignoree that their missives are vaporizing in the aether. So if my "ignored posters" have something they really want to get across to me then they'll have to send me an e-mail. Or, here's a thought-- they could put me on their own Ignore Poster list so that we don't add to the moderator's workload.

Since the book has come up, I'll address it. I'm writing "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retiring Early: FIRE!", although progress is sporadic. Over 50 of the board's military veterans, families of veterans, generous authors, moderators, and volunteers have graciously consented to read the draft chapters. They can affirm that it's more like watching sausage being made than "review and praise", but I tremendously appreciate their efforts to help me explain ER to the rest of the military. Every author knows that books don't just write themselves, dammit. A half-dozen of the volunteers have done the tremendous heavy lifting that got me this far, and I will honor their efforts by getting the book to publication.

I used this board to ask for their help, and we have a social group where they're welcome to discuss the text, but they don't really use it and this board is no longer necessary for that effort. I don't mention the subject on the public boards. I'm happy to answer people's questions but I haven't decided how to market the book, whether it's on this site or by other means. The mods will let me know if I cross a line or if the situation changes.

And no, VaCollector's story is not in the book. I'd put it in there if he asked me to, as others have volunteered their stories, but that's his choice and I think he's already made the decision.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
34 names remain on my "Ignore Poster" list, many of whom have subsequently been banned.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No.

Is there a reason you feel the need to check?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #85
gone traveling

[quote=Nords;806325 I've said it ad nausem: I don't care for the way this site is run for profit. quote]

...but have no problem mining it for content for the book you are writing?

hear, hear...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:53 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is there a reason you feel the need to check?
Only curiosity. I don't fully understand the concept of an "ignore" list. I am thinking it is the silliest thing I ever heard of... particularly its use in such a threatening way.

Of course, I don't believe in "Spam" filters either. That, I suppose, confirms my anti-social nature -- failure to go along with the crowd -- but the (very) few, purely unwanted, e-mails I get are not worth taking a chance of missing an important one.

In any event, I am young enough (65) that I still believe everyone has something to offer and old enough to not get overly excited about my lack of understanding of someone's thought processes.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I don't care for the way that every post here could show up among Google's top 10 hits within two hours.
That's my biggest problem with this board and others like it.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't care for the way that every post here could show up among Google's top 10 hits within two hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
What am I missing here? Does this mean there are Google searches that can irritate people that I need to be made aware of? That I am, through ignorance, deprived of some small joy?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
I don't like it or dislike it. But I don't see why it is a problem. If it is a way for more spam to be initiated and sent to my email address, I haven't noticed it. Of course I have tons of emails filtered to the spam bucket, but I never read it.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But I gratefully appreciate the dozens, even perhaps hundreds, of veteran posters who've informed and advised and challenged me over the years. When I ask my niche questions on other ER boards I don't get anywhere near this board's volume of responses, let alone the quality of answers. That's the status quo, so until circumstances change then I'll continue to seek the wisdom of the best posters on the most informed website available-- even if it's not run the way it could be.
I am relieved to hear you say this. I had become convinced you were some "old fogey."

I do, however, wonder about the "veteran" qualification. Do you really believe that someone who wasn't born here could have nothing of quality to offer merely because of a timing issue -- failing to stumble upon this forum quickly enough? You know, some of us are merely "slow learners" not deserving of such ridicule.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do, however, wonder about the "veteran" qualification. Do you really believe that someone who wasn't born here could have nothing of quality to offer merely because of a timing issue -- failing to stumble upon this forum quickly enough?
Ron, I can't speak for Nords but I think most people feel more comfortable taking advice from folks who have been around a while and have some sort of track record. No different from where you'd prefer to go to get your car repaired or a root canal done.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ron, I can't speak for Nords but I think most people feel more comfortable taking advice from folks who have been around a while and have some sort of track record. No different from where you'd prefer to go to get your car repaired or a root canal done.
Sometimes the best comments come from those who are new here and have fresh ideas and perspectives. In addition, the "non-veterans" tend to be challenged more by others helping to ferret out bad advice.

Regarding the comparison to a car repair or root canal, I don't see how it's the same. If I'm paying money for a service, I want to make sure I get good work done at a reasonable price. Here, I'm looking for ideas and thoughtful commentary. This can come from a vet or a newbie and I can choose to accept or disregard it.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Sometimes the best comments come from those who are new here and have fresh ideas and perspectives.
No arguement here. My statement was simply pointing out my own view of human nature - most people prefer to take advice from those they know than from those they do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Regarding the comparison to a car repair or root canal, I don't see how it's the same. If I'm paying money for a service, I want to make sure I get good work done at a reasonable price. Here, I'm looking for ideas and thoughtful commentary. This can come from a vet or a newbie and I can choose to accept or disregard it.
Some of us prefer discount dentistry, some prefer to go with a DDS we've known for years, feel comfortable with and don't price shop. No right or wrong here, just individual differences - some scored 7 on the narcissism test, some scored 20...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No arguement here. My statement was simply pointing out my own view of human nature - most people prefer to take advice from those they know than from those they do not.
So it is simply a matter of semantics? A veteran is then what? One who reaches some magic number of what? Posts? Months? Good responses? Low number of bad responses? Or is it some vague personality trait? Great wit? Naivete? Non-abrasive? Submissive? Part of the Choir?

Well, ain't this censorship business fun?

In any event, I understand what you are saying. I am of a similar nature and fully believe in the old saying that "I can't hear you. Your actions are speaking louder than your words." Which I guess is why we are even having this discussion. (Not your actions... or words -- so don't take that statement personally, REWahoo.)
Old 04-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...I think most people feel more comfortable taking advice from folks who have been around a while and have some sort of track record....
I never have and never will take financial advice from this or any other internet forum. As far as who's who, I took my experience with certain investments I've bought and sold over the years, and went back into the archives to see what others said about them. To my surprise, people who really know what they are talking about often get ignored and others just go on and on.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
To my surprise, people who really know what they are talking about often get ignored and others just go on and on.
I'm surprised that you are surprised.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm surprised that you are surprised.
I was a very green newbie.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've said it ad nausem: I don't care for the way this site is run for profit. I don't care for the way that crowds of newbies (and spammers, and trolls) are driven here in the relentless pursuit of revenue. I don't care for the way that every post here could show up among Google's top 10 hits within two hours. I don't care for the way that moderators had to deal with humongous workloads from crowds of new members who aren't interested in ER or experiments like the SoapBox or the way that this site's infrastructure was initially "upgraded" after Dory handed it over. ...
Nords, it seems I'm always the last to hear about these sort of things (reminds me of the old w*rk days, last on the grapevine). Could you update me on what this is all about or point me to somewhere where this was discussed? Didn't know the site had changed to a "for profit" one. I've enjoyed reading your posts in the past.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Could you update me on what this is all about or point me to somewhere where this was discussed? Didn't know the site had changed to a "for profit" one.
February 2007: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ted-25626.html
Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

being cheap bastages
What a great neologism. A combination of "bastard" and "savage," just right for those who can sometimes be savage in the pursuit of a bargain.

I come here specifically to get other people's points of view on all aspects of a topic (ER) that nobody I know ever discusses. If they don't agree with me, so what.

I credit the forums with enhancing my focus on tracking my $$ and my diet/weight.

The Rules say we are to avoid being rude or obscene--thank goodness, naughty innuendo seems to be acceptable .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote