Adios & thanks for ALL!

Well, Jesus Christ, I guess he merits a waiver then.

What's the excuse of the rest of the revolving-door posters?

Why is there a need to humiliate and post to make sure VA_collector never comes back? That is just absurd.

Nords you promote every other retirement site on the internet here in an effort to get this site to lose posters and repeatedly threaten to leave, which is even more childish than actually leaving but apparently 3 posts per day other than your own on those sites aren't enough to hold you interest. I surmise that as long as there is the volume of people here to review and praise the chapters of your book you are writing you'll continue to post.

VA_Collector was a class act and I would hope he would come back, he sought advice, realized what he was doing and it went bad for him, any author that truly cared about the fortune of retirees would see how demoralizing that was personally to him, and would refrain from using his misfortune as chapter or a blurb for your book or use as a means to castigate other individuals. A self-centric person would do as you are doing.

why is there a need to humiliate and post to make sure va_collector never comes back? That is just absurd.

Nords you promote every other retirement site on the internet here in an effort to get this site to lose posters and repeatedly threaten to leave, which is even more childish than actually leaving but apparently 3 posts per day other than your own on those sites aren't enough to hold you interest. I surmise that as long as there is the volume of people here to review and praise the chapters of your book you are writing you'll continue to post.

Va_collector was a class act and i would hope he would come back, he sought advice, realized what he was doing and it went bad for him, any author that truly cared about the fortune of retirees would see how demoralizing that was personally to him, and would refrain from using his misfortune as chapter or a blurb for your book or use as a means to castigate other individuals. A self-centric person would do as you are doing.

hear hear!

Wow, there are certain posters I have on ignore that I am profoundly grateful to see quoted once in a while: it inevitably reaffirms my choice to ignore them in the first place.

Wow, there are certain posters I have on ignore that I am profoundly grateful to see quoted once in a while: it inevitably reaffirms my choice to ignore them in the first place.

Just checking to see if I am one of them.

Okay, two cents time here. I'm not normally a fan of "GBF" ("Good Bye Forever") posts, at least in the context of someone leaving in a hissy fit over an argument or policy or some such. That's also true of the folks who occasionally (but sometimes repeatedly) have emotional outbursts or feel a need for validation, and they hope people will plead with them to return.

But having said that, I think the OP was not in that class. I think his was one of desperation and despair, and of feeling like you're not allowed to "be here" if you aren't retired early or on track to retire early. His was an unfortunate lesson in the consequences of inadequate diversification.

But the market over the last few months has led a LOT of us to wonder if early retirement is an attainable goal any more. Nevertheless, we still have the common bond of wanting to "get out" sooner rather than later, even if for some people, it will turn out to be later. And we still share the same information about handling money, investing for retirement, [-]being cheap bastages[/-] saving and shedding debt, all of which increase out chances of getting out. Whether we can tell Megacorp to kiss off at 45 or 65, that still applies.

So I do hope the OP realizes that it's not necessarily all hopeless, that it's not that there's nothing to be gained by participating or not that it's only a place for people who will be able to punch out for the last time by their fifties. (And I hope he held through the recent rally.) And if these are some of the reasons he left, I hope he'd consider returning.

And there's my two cents:

rev1865a.jpeg

"Hear hear" indeed!

Riskadverse (risk "averse"?), you're welcome to read my "revolving door" post in its full context.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showpost.php?p=776036&postcount=50

VaCollector made a number of extremely difficult decisions, and I think he dealt well with the options he had available to him.

I think that if he came back to this board then he'd end up re-reading his old posts. He'd also have to read about this situation every time someone one showed up on the board touting Buffett's debatable wisdom of a concentrated stock portfolio. In my opinion there's no reason to keep picking at old amputation scars. So I think his decision to leave was a good one. It took guts, too.

As Ziggy has already said, there are a number of discussion-board posters who threaten to leave the stage just to hear the audience cry "Encore!!" I don't include VaCollector in this number, but that number would certainly benefit from growing a spine like he displays.

I've said it ad nausem: I don't care for the way this site is run for profit. I don't care for the way that crowds of newbies (and spammers, and trolls) are driven here in the relentless pursuit of revenue. I don't care for the way that every post here could show up among Google's top 10 hits within two hours. I don't care for the way that moderators had to deal with humongous workloads from crowds of new members who aren't interested in ER or experiments like the SoapBox or the way that this site's infrastructure was initially "upgraded" after Dory handed it over.

But I gratefully appreciate the dozens, even perhaps hundreds, of veteran posters who've informed and advised and challenged me over the years. When I ask my niche questions on other ER boards I don't get anywhere near this board's volume of responses, let alone the quality of answers. That's the status quo, so until circumstances change then I'll continue to seek the wisdom of the best posters on the most informed website available-- even if it's not run the way it could be.

34 names remain on my "Ignore Poster" list, many of whom have subsequently been banned. The mods would prefer that I not post the contents of my list here, but I'll mention a feature of this board's software. vBulletin will let my "ignored posters" send me all the PMs they want. It just won't deliver them, and it won't tell the ignoree that their missives are vaporizing in the aether. So if my "ignored posters" have something they really want to get across to me then they'll have to send me an e-mail. Or, here's a thought-- they could put me on their own Ignore Poster list so that we don't add to the moderator's workload.

Since the book has come up, I'll address it. I'm writing "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retiring Early: FIRE!", although progress is sporadic. Over 50 of the board's military veterans, families of veterans, generous authors, moderators, and volunteers have graciously consented to read the draft chapters. They can affirm that it's more like watching sausage being made than "review and praise", but I tremendously appreciate their efforts to help me explain ER to the rest of the military. Every author knows that books don't just write themselves, dammit. A half-dozen of the volunteers have done the tremendous heavy lifting that got me this far, and I will honor their efforts by getting the book to publication.

I used this board to ask for their help, and we have a social group where they're welcome to discuss the text, but they don't really use it and this board is no longer necessary for that effort. I don't mention the subject on the public boards. I'm happy to answer people's questions but I haven't decided how to market the book, whether it's on this site or by other means. The mods will let me know if I cross a line or if the situation changes.

And no, VaCollector's story is not in the book. I'd put it in there if he asked me to, as others have volunteered their stories, but that's his choice and I think he's already made the decision.

Nords;806325 I've said it ad nausem: I don't care for the way this site is run for profit. quote said:
...but have no problem mining it for content for the book you are writing?

hear, hear...:whistle:

Is there a reason you feel the need to check?

Only curiosity. I don't fully understand the concept of an "ignore" list. I am thinking it is the silliest thing I ever heard of... particularly its use in such a threatening way.

Of course, I don't believe in "Spam" filters either. That, I suppose, confirms my anti-social nature -- failure to go along with the crowd -- but the (very) few, purely unwanted, e-mails I get are not worth taking a chance of missing an important one.

In any event, I am young enough (65) that I still believe everyone has something to offer and old enough to not get overly excited about my lack of understanding of someone's thought processes.

I don't care for the way that every post here could show up among Google's top 10 hits within two hours.

That's my biggest problem with this board and others like it.

What am I missing here? Does this mean there are Google searches that can irritate people that I need to be made aware of? That I am, through ignorance, deprived of some small joy?

That's my biggest problem with this board and others like it.

I don't like it or dislike it. But I don't see why it is a problem. If it is a way for more spam to be initiated and sent to my email address, I haven't noticed it. Of course I have tons of emails filtered to the spam bucket, but I never read it.

But I gratefully appreciate the dozens, even perhaps hundreds, of veteran posters who've informed and advised and challenged me over the years. When I ask my niche questions on other ER boards I don't get anywhere near this board's volume of responses, let alone the quality of answers. That's the status quo, so until circumstances change then I'll continue to seek the wisdom of the best posters on the most informed website available-- even if it's not run the way it could be.

I am relieved to hear you say this. I had become convinced you were some "old fogey."

I do, however, wonder about the "veteran" qualification. Do you really believe that someone who wasn't born here could have nothing of quality to offer merely because of a timing issue -- failing to stumble upon this forum quickly enough? You know, some of us are merely "slow learners" not deserving of such ridicule.

I do, however, wonder about the "veteran" qualification. Do you really believe that someone who wasn't born here could have nothing of quality to offer merely because of a timing issue -- failing to stumble upon this forum quickly enough?
Ron, I can't speak for Nords but I think most people feel more comfortable taking advice from folks who have been around a while and have some sort of track record. No different from where you'd prefer to go to get your car repaired or a root canal done. :)

Ron, I can't speak for Nords but I think most people feel more comfortable taking advice from folks who have been around a while and have some sort of track record. No different from where you'd prefer to go to get your car repaired or a root canal done. :)

Sometimes the best comments come from those who are new here and have fresh ideas and perspectives. In addition, the "non-veterans" tend to be challenged more by others helping to ferret out bad advice.

Regarding the comparison to a car repair or root canal, I don't see how it's the same. If I'm paying money for a service, I want to make sure I get good work done at a reasonable price. Here, I'm looking for ideas and thoughtful commentary. This can come from a vet or a newbie and I can choose to accept or disregard it.

Sometimes the best comments come from those who are new here and have fresh ideas and perspectives.
No arguement here. My statement was simply pointing out my own view of human nature - most people prefer to take advice from those they know than from those they do not.

Regarding the comparison to a car repair or root canal, I don't see how it's the same. If I'm paying money for a service, I want to make sure I get good work done at a reasonable price. Here, I'm looking for ideas and thoughtful commentary. This can come from a vet or a newbie and I can choose to accept or disregard it.
Some of us prefer discount dentistry, some prefer to go with a DDS we've known for years, feel comfortable with and don't price shop. No right or wrong here, just individual differences - some scored 7 on the narcissism test, some scored 20...

No arguement here. My statement was simply pointing out my own view of human nature - most people prefer to take advice from those they know than from those they do not.

So it is simply a matter of semantics? A veteran is then what? One who reaches some magic number of what? Posts? Months? Good responses? Low number of bad responses? Or is it some vague personality trait? Great wit? Naivete? Non-abrasive? Submissive? Part of the Choir?

Well, ain't this censorship business fun?

In any event, I understand what you are saying. I am of a similar nature and fully believe in the old saying that "I can't hear you. Your actions are speaking louder than your words." Which I guess is why we are even having this discussion. (Not your actions... or words -- so don't take that statement personally, REWahoo.)

...I think most people feel more comfortable taking advice from folks who have been around a while and have some sort of track record....
I never have and never will take financial advice from this or any other internet forum. As far as who's who, I took my experience with certain investments I've bought and sold over the years, and went back into the archives to see what others said about them. To my surprise, people who really know what they are talking about often get ignored and others just go on and on.

I've said it ad nausem: I don't care for the way this site is run for profit. I don't care for the way that crowds of newbies (and spammers, and trolls) are driven here in the relentless pursuit of revenue. I don't care for the way that every post here could show up among Google's top 10 hits within two hours. I don't care for the way that moderators had to deal with humongous workloads from crowds of new members who aren't interested in ER or experiments like the SoapBox or the way that this site's infrastructure was initially "upgraded" after Dory handed it over. ...
Nords, it seems I'm always the last to hear about these sort of things (reminds me of the old w*rk days, last on the grapevine). Could you update me on what this is all about or point me to somewhere where this was discussed? Didn't know the site had changed to a "for profit" one. I've enjoyed reading your posts in the past.

being cheap bastages
What a great neologism. A combination of "bastard" and "savage," ;) just right for those who can sometimes be savage in the pursuit of a bargain.

I come here specifically to get other people's points of view on all aspects of a topic (ER) that nobody I know ever discusses. If they don't agree with me, so what.

I credit the forums with enhancing my focus on tracking my $$ and my diet/weight.

The Rules say we are to avoid being rude or obscene--thank goodness, naughty innuendo seems to be acceptable :).

Back
Top Bottom