Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Not only is it not likely that you'll live to be over 80 but, if you do, you may not be throwing fast balls anymore. Planning to live the carefree lifestyle until you are 100 is probably overly optimistic.
Yeah, 80 could be a good time to take up bungee jumping.......

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

The funny thing is my Mother is 92 and her physicians hand her scripts for tests but they tell her it is optional . So maybe there are some perks of growing older !

Old 02-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
The funny thing is my Mother is 92 and her physicians hand her scripts for tests but they tell her it is optional . So maybe there are some perks of growing older
So there's a new in primary care internal medicine. A take-off on the "slow food" movement (a reaction to fast food), it's called slow medicine; kind of a hands off approach, keeping a higher threshold for intervening actively, symptom focused, willing to defer definitive diagnosis if that saves a lot of hassle. You really have to have the patient and family on board, because practicing like that in this country is sometimes inconsistent with "community standard."

But it has its place, as in your mom's example.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:17 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
My FIL fortunately doesn't live with us but it became a brief topic of conversation before reality set in with the help of some health care professionals. He's in a memory care unit but DW spends lots of time visiting and dealing with his issues.
My experience with my in-laws echoes much of your own. MIL with advanced dementia is in a nursing home, FIL has recently been diagnosed with dementia as well. DW spends a huge chunk of time carring for FIL and taking him to visit MIL, who rarely recognizes either of them. FIL is also highly suspicious that some guy in nursing home is preying upon MIL (shades of Sandra Day O'Connor experience). Further planning is difficult at this point. I give sympathy and support to DW, but she wants to make the calls with regard to FIL.

Well, we've gone off the SWR topic. But I think maybe I can tie these experiences back to SWR. With medical advances, we are likely to all live a long retirement. The first half of retirement will be great stuff, while we all have both our physical and mental abilities. The second half of retirement could well be just a period of time waiting to die -- a period that is meaningless at best, painful at worse, and can be quite expensive. DW and I have discussed that she or I or both of us may simply check out of this second half. And that has the benefit, of course, that we can increase our SWR at the time we first enter retirement.

How is that for cheery??

And I, too, vote that ReWahoo take his trip. If we all make a donation, say to FireCalc, will some of that money go to ReWahoo so he take the trip? If feel like organizing something positive here.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoClose View Post

And I, too, vote that ReWahoo take his trip. If we all make a donation, say to FireCalc, will some of that money go to ReWahoo so he take the trip? If feel like organizing something positive here.
I don't see a penny of any donation to FIRECalc, but I'll see if I can't set something up I sure appreciate your kind thoughts.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Is there an echo in here? Change your "retired at 58 and am now 61" to "retired at 58 and am now 62" and this could have been my post.

I too hear a 'do it now while you still can' voice whispering in one ear and a 'you'd better cut spending now' voice in the other. I'm struggling with canceling a planned 6 week RV trip to the northwest this summer - a trip we've been planning for months. Will the $5,000 I save make a significant difference in our quality of life sometime down the road? Or will I kick myself for not taking the opportunity for a wonderful trip when I had the chance?

Ain't life great?
Just camp out in your back yard this summer. You got it all right there. Roasted rattlesnake over the camp fire, nice warm humidity during the day, mosquito bites late afternoon, nicely burned tanned skin, watching videos in the RV of the pacific nw..........what is there not to like?

As CNBC would say....."these are unprecedented times". Adjust and move on.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Just camp out in your back yard this summer. You got it all right there. Roasted rattlesnake over the camp fire, nice warm humidity during the day, mosquito bites late afternoon, nicely burned tanned skin, watching videos in the RV of the pacific nw..........what is there not to like?
What's humidity? Since La Nina hit the scene, we've had almost none of it. All we've had is one dry day after another, with a few dry and very windy cold fronts every few days.

But we do get a lot of dust blown into our eyes as a result. Fun.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've found a trick (by accident) to get DW excited about traveling. We offer to rent a condo/house for a week or longer and invite the kids/grandkids. She suddenly doesn't give a sh*t care if her father is left in the good care of the memory care facility. The chance to get her babies and grandbabies in one place takes over as the "prime directive."

I'm scheduling a week in Branson, a week in Rhode Island and a week in Port Aransas during the coming months. I know the poorer kids won't be able to get time off or be able to fund (which may become our problem) these trips but I get to inconvenience fish and generally recreate. One may actually take hold which is the week in Port Aransas. The others may or may not have much participation. Once they are scheduled and paid for, she is at my mercy.