Join Early Retirement Today
Advice for property
Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Advice for property

My in-laws have a commercial property with 6-10 storefronts. They have mentioned that they would like to leave this property to DH and I when they pass. The property is paid for, and seems to generate about $3000 in profit monthly, depending on major expenses.

Right now, I believe it's in my MIL's name. She has a will that was done through some willmaker software that leaves it to us.

She's been doing the property management for a while, but I think she's ready to hire a property manager, and she's also worried about her liability.

I'm worried about probate and estate taxes, and lots of messy paperwork in the future.

Any opinions or ideas on what we should look into? LLC? Should they look into gifting us shares of the property now? A trust? We will definitely involve a lawyer, but I'd like to supply her with a few good ideas to look into, so she doesn't end up selling it and buying an annuity.

meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Can you do the property management for her? Give her a chance to test your mettle and see if you can handle the day to day issues.

It might turn out that you want her to sell the property after all.
Tax wise, inheriting the property is the best, as long as law provides for a step up in value.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I like that idea, particularly since MIL could still be involved but you can handle the operational issues and the property could pay you a fee instead of paying a property manager.

Other than that, not much info to go on. If you are worried about estate taxes, I presume that in-laws have other substantial assets since I can't see a commercial property generating $36k a year of net cash flow being an estate tax problem.

Do in-laws rely on the income from this property? How old are they and are thye in good health?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
will that was done through some willmaker software
I'm thinking of developing some software called widowmaker that provides step by step instructions for people to perform brain surgery on themselves.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
I don't have time to be a property manager at this time, and would hire one if it were up to me.
They also have a house and a duplex in San Diego, but not much else, so I guess the estate taxes shouldn't be an issue if they don't change again.

FIL still works, MIL has a good pension, but the income is allowing them to have a nice amount of fun money for trips and such. Both are in relatively good health, but starting to have occasional issues.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote