Join Early Retirement Today

advice from Kiyosaki, Buffet etc
Old 05-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

advice from Kiyosaki, Buffet etc

http://finance.yahoo.com/columnist/a...ichricher/4795

This column from Kiyosaki is definitely annoying to me. I hope he is not right because most of us own big in the US stock market and much less in International funds (for me 1:2 ratio). If the dollar is still overvalued, and it might be, international funds will do well but does it mean the US stock market is doomed to?

Also I think Kyiosaki is out of his mind telling people NOT to save :P and basically pushing the real estate market. I mean - isn't it obvious that the real estate market has now peaked? Is this guy trying not to loose the money he invested there and hoping to cash in on a few that will follow his advice?

Is there any good place to put money now - It seems that there can't be any winning category in any portfolio allocation in 2006? What do you guys think?
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: advice from Kyiosaki, Buffet etc
Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kiyosaki is what he always has been: a shameless huckster. I suspect he made most of his money promoting his nonsense, rather than actually investing in anything in particular. If electric kumquat trimmers suddenly start shooting up in price, he would A) claim to have made big money investing in them and B) start hawking a book/seminar/brainwashing camp that would promote investing in these things. Ignore him.

There are lots of attractive things to invest in. Don't follow the crowd and be willing to look at obscure stuff.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
This column from Kyiosaki is definitely annoying to me
He, in addition to his columns, is annoying to me!

consider these two consecutive statements:"I have been bearish on the U.S. dollar for years (see "Investing: Go for Gold and Silver, Not Green"). I've also been saying "savers are losers" for a long time (see "Why Savers Are Losers")."

1) The dollar has been on a long-term devaluation against Euro currencies since 1900, against Japan since 1950.* B.F.D. Should we then conclude that the US Equity market has, over the last 50+ or 100+ years been a poor place to invest?

2) guess everyone who visits this site is a loser, since, if I read the posts correctly, all here are indeed prodigious savers -- so not only are we losers , but prodigious losers!

d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #4

Question: How do you know when a Salesman is lying?

Answer: - His lips are moving.

Kyiosaki is a Salesman
Re: advice from Kiyosaki, Buffet etc
Old 05-30-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The difference between a salesman and a marketing guy? The salesman usually knows when he's lying...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:21 PM   #6

We used to tell that joke this way:

What's the difference between a Software Salesman and a Used Car Salesman?

The Used Car Salesman knew when he was lying?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
This column from Kiyosaki is definitely annoying to me.
It's not that Kiyosaki is such a huckster as much as it is that he's a lying idiot.

You can pretty much figure out what Warren Buffett is invested in from his SEC filings and his public info. The stuff that he asks the SEC to keep confidential is a rounding error on his filings.

Now try to figure out Kiyosaki's net worth, let alone what he's invested in...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
If electric kumquat trimmers suddenly start shooting up in price,

Where can I get one?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep seeing this sentiment of "invest in foreign markets because of the weak dollar."

But aside from whether I believe this or not, I shrug when I hear it. *Most (many) of the companies in the S&P 500 have sizable portions of their revenues from foreign operations. *If the dollar is weak, those foreign profits will just yield more profit in dollars.

So, if you believe in this "weak dollar/foreign equity markets" theory/sentiment, why bother investing in foreign companies? *Why not just invest in U.S. companies like GE, Coca-Cola and P&G? *They have more foreign operations than domestic anyway. *You get the benefit of U.S. management and the U.S. legal system while enjoying the diversity of international operations.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:30 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat

Where can I get one?
I can tell you, but it will be expensive...

- George Orwell

Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I can tell you, but it will be expensive...
Our kumquat tree is only five feet high so we trim it by hand...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-31-2006, 09:05 AM   #12

IF

RK is a liar, a bs artist and a salesman... why does he got millions of followers and millions dollars of book sold?? is it all of his followers are idiot?? or he DOES say something that make sense?

the fact that we are talking about him and he's NOT in jail yet. i say he is doing somehting right and when you are successful and made alot of money you will get a ton of negative critics...

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat
IF

RK is a liar, a bs artist and a salesman... why does he got millions of followers and millions dollars of book sold??* is it all of his followers are idiot?? or he DOES say something that make sense?

the fact that we are talking about him and he's NOT in jail yet. i say he is doing somehting right and when you are successful and made alot of money you will get a ton of negative critics...

enuff
Difference of opinions makes a market. But its pretty clear to me that he is an assclown.

- George Orwell

Old 05-31-2006, 09:17 AM   #14

everyone entitle to their opinion. In my opinion, he is a successful and wealthy "assclown"

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:20 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
IF
RK is a liar, a bs artist and a salesman... why does he got millions of followers and millions dollars of book sold??* is it all of his followers are idiot?? or he DOES say something that make sense?
Well, he doesn't state the truth. *Read John T. Reed's research and decide for yourself whether Kiyosaki is able to factually represent himself. *http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html *Admittedly John's gone a little over the top, but the fact remains that Kiyosaki has not told the truth. *The fact that he felt compelled to embellish his military history is particularly disgusting and an insight into what's left of his character.

The millions of followers-- I guess you pretty much answered that question. *I'm not saying that his method doesn't work-- it can work if properly applied. *(Choose the right team and you'll do anything!) *But I am saying that anyone who thinks Kiyosaki is an investing god is probably overestimating both his and their own intellectual capabilities. *Anyone who pays to listen to Kiyosaki's talk is not yet capable of semantically analyzing its content or critically evaluating its proposals.

The "millions of books" is a reflection of Amway, Quixtar, and all the other multi-level marketing machines. *I read RDPD from the library so I didn't feel that anyone owed me a refund for the time I wasted. *However the book does have entertainment value! *BTW I'm one of the three people who've also read "If You Want to Be Rich and Happy, Don’t Go To School?"... his real "first" book. *Take a look at how he really used to write before he settled on his current formula.

Oh, he's not in jail yet-- does that provide evidence that he really is honest, and that he hasn't broken any laws?

Old 05-31-2006, 09:23 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
everyone entitle to their opinion. In my opinion, he is a successful and wealthy "assclown"

enuff
An assclown is an assclown. Even if an assclown falls into money, he is still an assclown.

But hey, if you want to follow his rather mercurial and often contradictory advice, be my guest. Its your money.

- George Orwell

Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
There are lots of people that make money off the backs of others but not in jail. That seems to be a rather curious criteria for someone being right...they arent in jail.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:01 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

It just makes my blood boil that Yahoo is giving him an illusion of credibility.

Enuf, he may have some money, but that can be explained by the old saying, "A sucker is born every minute."

So how many seminars of his have you attended? Why don't you give us a summary of his more technical reccomendations?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:06 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Bogle's my main man but:

For pure entertainment - I always enjoyed Ruky when he had Wall Street Week on PBS.

Be kind - America has a long history of B.S.'ers. Hope to join them someday when I get annointed as a Curmudgeon.

heh heh heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
It just makes my blood boil that Yahoo is giving him an illusion of credibility.
My impression is that it's removed whatever shreds of remaining credibility that those yahoos ever had.

Kinda like Business Week giving finance columns to Maria Bartiromo & Jack Welch... it's no coincidence that Bob Barker ER'd about the same time.

I guess their salaries are paid out of the marketing & publicity funds, certainly not from the pool of resources shared by the real journalists.

Tags
warren buffet