Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Advice on Smith Barney
Old 07-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #21

Jerry,
Most mutual funds can be moved "in-kind".
Get out of SB ASAP and save on those fees--they're not as bad as Ameriprise, but still a nightmare! We move a lot of stuff out of SB for our clients.
The discount broker of your choice can help you get the funds moved with just a few forms.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Not funds, but mostly holding in individual stocks, but I assume it would work the same.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2006, 05:54 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, Jerry -- it is pretty easy to move. I got all my Mom and Dad's stuff moved from Merrill Lynch to Vanguard with one form and no hassle.

Setab: I had a SSB account for some years -- what you have to realize is that your friend will call you with 'trading ideas' every week or two, and your desire to be reasonable and friendly (and possibly make some money)will be the 3-in-1 Oil which gets you to make investments with him/her. Thereafter you'll be trading ina nd out of all kinds of neat stuff, leaving a few percent here and a few percent there in your broker's pocket. You might even make some money, too. The advice you'll get here is well-documented: Just don't go there. Get some good diversified long term index funds and keep your friendship with the SSB person strictly non-financial.

True Story re: SSB:

In 1999 had stock in a small public internet company which I'd received as payment for my first company. I used SSB to help me sell it in the Nasdaq (read clip joint/rigged) market.

I told my SSB broker I wanted to lock in a certain amount of profit, and I was prepared to sell some stock at decent intervals to do so, and we made a few trades.

He then came up with the bright idea/cold call one day that I should write call options on some of my remaining holdings, pocket some premium, and maybe the options would expire and I could do it again. To my shame, I agreed, pocketed 50k of premium - $1 per share - (he got about 3k commission and whatever the spread was on this option, which was no doubt significant)

If I had been thinking, I would have realized that what I really needed to be doing was buying put options (to lock in current prices), not selling call options (picking up premium and giving the other party the upside in the stock). Then again, if my SSB broker had been thinking, as he is supposed to do, he would have also come to the same conclusion.

6 months later, the options expired, and the buyer pocketed about $1.5 million in appreciation on his 50k option investment. In order to lock in profits, I had actually needed to sell another chunk of stock (I vaguely understood my mistake a few days after I'd sold the options, and so made the trade), so I missed out on the upside not only on the optioned shares, but on another similarly-sized batch as well.

It is all water under the bridge, and I never did anything except stop taking phone calls from the SSB broker, but it is a true story and should perhaps be a warning to you that these guys are not as bright as they are cracked up to be, and you should not rely on them. My broker was very fixated on earning his 3k commission, and as a result I did lose a significant sum of money following poor advice.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
He then came up with the bright idea/cold call one day that I should write call options on some of my remaining holdings, pocket some premium, and maybe the options would expire and I could do it again.* To my shame, I agreed, pocketed 50k of premium - $1 per share -* (he got about 3k commission and whatever the spread was on this option, which was no doubt significant)

If I had been thinking, I would have realized that what I really needed to be doing was buying put options (to lock in current prices), not selling call options (picking up premium and giving the other party the upside in the stock).* Then again, if my SSB broker had been thinking, as he is supposed to do, he would have also come to the same conclusion.
Your broker was half right.* *The "standard" way to lock-in wealth with restricted stock is with a zero-cost collar.* *You sell out-of-the-money calls and buy out-of-the-money puts with the proceeds, so your net cost is zero.* *This will limit your downside while giving you some limited upside.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:20 PM   #25

Wab,
He may have even mentioned the second half of the collar, but I didn't hear it our couldn't see it.

Anyway everyone was making and losing paper profits in 1999 so the story isn't unusual. And I look at the bright side: I still had enough to ER, and the shortfall gave me the conditions to 'discover' early semi-retirement and write a book about it!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:04 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the good advice. I thought I was right, but I wouldn't have been if I hadn't been reading this board for the last six months or so. My options, then, appear to do nothing (my preferred approach to almost every thing) or to roll over to Vanguard, which gives my slightly more flexibility since I can add to it and withdraw from it. Thanks again.

setab
Old 07-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

setab,

We'll send you a bill.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

And my checkis in the mail!

setab
Old 07-25-2006, 10:34 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They burn earn it... :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg houseman.jpg (44.7 KB, 34 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb houseman.jpg_thumb (32.3 KB, 0 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote