Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
4) Be absolutely sure that you are IN LOVE when you marry. Divorce and the pain it causes are expensive.
Then again, so is being in love with someone who has little or no earning power, work ethic or career potential.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Then again, so is being in love with someone who has little or no earning power, work ethic or career potential.
Sometimes you have to go with the percentages. . . .

Old 06-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Have a bigger emergency fund all in 5 year CDs.
Did that at 38...almost 25, right?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
Yes, as I have gotten older my definition of a "Trophy Wife" has changed from physical attributes, to fiscal attributes
Old 06-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

To be more skeptical in general.When I was younger I was brought up with a lot of religion.Taught that everyone is mostly good inside,always forgive etc.Yep I was naive and to passive at times, that let some folks sometimes pull the wool over my eyes.Now a person has to earn my trust.A lot of folks have their agendas.People who care count,people who don"t care don"t count.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Yes, as I have gotten older my definition of a "Trophy Wife" has changed from physical attributes, to fiscal attributes
If I were still single at age 46, I've evolved to the point where my idea of a "trophy wife" would be a woman who loves her job and has already accrued 20+ years toward a pension.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
If you had a time machine and could go back to talk to your younger self, what piece(s) of financial advice would you give in hopes of achieving FIRE more easily and/or living a better life. Or more specifically, what mistakes would you avoid if you had a mulligan.

Obviously, "save more!" is the easy answer... but I was looking for something more detailed.

I'm not much past that age myself (just turned 30) and am always looking for an opportunity to learn from others much wiser than me.
I do not think I would change anything maybe start saving working earlier?
I really was a bum and didn't start a "real j%$" until I was close to 30.
1) the fact that you might love your job at 20 does not mean you will love it at 50. Most people do not and most are stuck.
2) do not overlook health . if you are out of shape in your 20's 30's etc. it is
a good bet that it will only get worse when you get out of the rat race.

good luck
Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #108
Confused about dryer sheets

As a 30-year old, I would like to thank all of you for your insights and to the OP for starting this thread. The repeated "don't worry about things so much, everything will be ok" mentions are the most reassuring because I have noticed that many people who strive for ER are actually somewhat pessimistic.

There are very few places you can go to get this kind of advice from those who not only have a desire to FIRE but have actually done so. Obviously, the overwhelming majority of people will see no harm in working until they're 65 or beyond to satisfy their network of ongoing material needs.

Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #109
Administrator

I had a suggestion to tell my 25-year-old self this morning, but after posting it here decided it really wasn't a good one. So, I just edited it out of this post.

I can't think of any. I really think I lived my life to the fullest under the circumstances, and have no particular regrets or wishes for "do-overs". I did it my way.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #110

W2R, that is excellent advice to give, as I think lots of girls have only the vaguest notion of parenthood's actual responsibilities.

For me, though, I'm fairly sure that the existentialists would say that a job at daycare=my room in hell!
Aaaaack!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #111
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
W2R, that is excellent advice to give, as I think lots of girls have only the vaguest notion of parenthood's actual responsibilities.

For me, though, I'm fairly sure that the existentialists would say that a job at daycare=my room in hell!
Aaaaack!
Well, I deleted it after thinking about it a while, and before I saw your post. Even though I had done tons of babysitting (because I needed the money), I thought working at a daycare part time between grad school and motherhood might have been more instructive. But after thinking about it, I had the same response: Aaaaack!

Besides, the things I learned there might have been the wrong things, KWIM?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote