Join Early Retirement Today

Advisor Fees Dropping
Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Advisor Fees Dropping

All I can say is it's about time this happens!

The wrong way to pay for financial advice

Quote:
I think one of the biggest trends we'll see over the next decade are financial management fees falling like a rock. They've already dropped in recent years, but there's still enormous fat to cut. Not only will AUM fees be pressured to decline, but the way advisors charge may be upended. The winner is you, the investor.
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high View Post
All I can say is it's about time this happens!

The wrong way to pay for financial advice
Yay! This has been a thorny subject around here that I have harped on to the great consternation of some (including me) at times. Nice to see the popular press take up this absurd model of compensation.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Long overdue.

However, I just talked with a friend who recently left a major wirehouse because they just INCREASED the base fees they charge their clients, especially the "smaller (less than $1mm)" clients. Talk about hubris!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Long overdue.

However, I just talked with a friend who recently left a major wirehouse because they just INCREASED the base fees they charge their clients, especially the "smaller (less than $1mm)" clients. Talk about hubris!
This happened to me with my last financial advisor before I found my current flat rate guy. They called us in for a meeting to introduce their new fee structure. I said, "that is very interesting. Here is my counter offer. No. Give me a flat rate fee like this competitor is offering or I walk." And I did. Reminded me of the scene in Godfather Part II when Michael tells the Senator trying to shake him down that not only will he not pay the Senator a bribe to help him get his gambling license but that he expects the Senator to pay the license fee for him. I loved it. (my wife was less thrilled with the drama)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
This happened to me with my last financial advisor before I found my current flat rate guy. They called us in for a meeting to introduce their new fee structure. I said, "that is very interesting. Here is my counter offer. No. Give me a flat rate fee like this competitor is offering or I walk." And I did. Reminded me of the scene in Godfather Part II when Michael tells the Senator trying to shake him down that not only will he not pay the Senator a bribe to help him get his gambling license but that he expects the Senator to pay the license fee for him. I loved it. (my wife was less thrilled with the drama)
When you say that "you walked," did you go DIY? Or are you still paying "the bribe," just less?

As I recall, Michael paid nothing as opposed to finding another corrupt politician who would accept less.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
When you say that "you walked," did you go DIY? Or are you still paying "the bribe," just less?

As I recall, Michael paid nothing as opposed to finding another corrupt politician who would accept less.
You got me there... I walked across the street to an advisor at about a fourth of the cost. Also Michael did pay some people to murder a call girl and frame the senator...I did not do anything like that.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

From what I've noticed a lot of the big shops charges drop as the AUM increase thus it gets cheaper the more you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhat View Post
From what I've noticed a lot of the big shops charges drop as the AUM increase thus it gets cheaper the more you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uh, no that is Advisor snake oil... The "percentage" goes lower the more you have, but the amount of money they extract from you keeps getting bigger--not big as fast, but bigger...definitely NOT cheaper. They charge you more, but they do not really do anything more...not cheaper by any definition I understand.