Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Advisors Expect Most Clients To Postpone Retirements
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Advisors Expect Most Clients To Postpone Retirements

According to this article, there will much less ERing in the future. Where will we get new ER blood? I wonder how the upcoming sequestration due on 3/1 will alter this?

Quote:
The biannual survey also found that advisors expect more than 33 percent of their clients will retire after age 68, and of this one third, 10 percent are expected to retire after age 71.

Of the financial advisors surveyed, more than one-third (35.2%) ranked accumulating enough assets for their clients’ retirement as their top concern.

Potential fallout from the “fiscal cliff” followed a close second, with 34.3 percent of advisors ranking it as their primary concern. The survey of 2,521 financial advisors was conducted in fall 2012, before action was taken on the fiscal cliff – automatic tax increases and federal spending cuts set to go into effect January 1, 2013.
Financial Advisors Expect Most Clients To Postpone Retirements

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Bummer. I would have died in the saddle if I had to wait that long.
Original Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Glad I did not get an advisor, then!

I suspect that many advisors feel that most of their clients don't want to face reality, so they are not having them save nearly fast enough for retirement. That sounds like the advisors' fault, not their clients' fault.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

IMHO, those of us who have retired before 65 are rare. Those who retired before 60 are very, very rare. Despite the negative expectations, I still think there are many who will retire early and some who will retire very, very early. Good luck to all!
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IMHO Much of this is due to generational spending patterns. The recent economic downturn has contributed, but also current generation seems to have forgotten (or at least ignores) basic financial planning principles like building a 6mo cash "emergency fund". This is the age of NO pension, and LBYM has become a foreign concept. It may take a generation to learn how to deal with the "NO pensions" retirement system.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #6

Would this improve this improve the stability of SS as more folks contribute longer and possibly more folks don't make it to draw benefits? Assuming, of course, that the funds aren't siphoned off and left with a useless IOU. Seems like I have heard this story (people not saving enough for retirement and/or living above their means) a few times over the last 10 years. So what's new?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Glad I did not get an advisor, then! .

Then or now.....
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1
Think about how most advisers make their money. The more you make the more they make. Ours does not seem interested in helping us find a way to retire early, but rather tries to convince us that working longer is necessary (it may very well be. The pain of dying rich is not felt by advisers, but only by us.
cinman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Another +1

However, I have to wonder:

1. whether the clients of the advisers surveyed are representative of the population as a whole - there will be plenty of people who have no adviser either because they don't have enough to interest the adviser or because, like many here, the do not feel they need one; and

2. there is no break down of the 43.1% who will retire before 67 - we just don't know what percentage of this group are or expect to be genuinely early retirees.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinman2000 View Post
Think about how most advisers make their money. The more you make the more they make. Ours does not seem interested in helping us find a way to retire early, but rather tries to convince us that working longer is necessary (it may very well be. The pain of dying rich is not felt by advisers, but only by us.
Were there any figures on what age(s) the advisors expect to retire at?

Tyro
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

The advisors can take my advice. I have actually retired early. They seem to still be working.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
1. whether the clients of the advisers surveyed are representative of the population as a whole - there will be plenty of people who have no adviser either because they don't have enough to interest the adviser or because, like many here, the do not feel they need one;
You left off the blissfully unaware who also have no advisor? Some would say it's a large group...who may "retire" even later.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You left off the blissfully unaware who also have no advisor? Some would say it's a large group...who may "retire" even later.
If at all.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Pfft. I've just moved my retirement date *closer* by a few years recently...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Would this improve this improve the stability of SS as more folks contribute longer and possibly more folks don't make it to draw benefits?

Cheers!
I think that is correct.
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #16

I think everybody else should work forever to continue to fund my SS and medicare and get off my lawn too!
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Would this improve this improve the stability of SS as more folks contribute longer and possibly more folks don't make it to draw benefits?
Yes, but not substantially. FICA taxes are withheld as long as you are working. However, you can work and take Soc Sec benefits beginning at age 62 (with tax penalties between age 62 and FRA unless income is very low), and you must take benefits at age 70 even if you continue to work.

Very few people don't "make it to draw benefits" - many will live beyond 70 and many others will take benefits at age 62 thru 70. **

** From SSA in 2010, less than 4% of the population aged 62–84 will never receive Soc Sec benefits. Late-arriving immigrants and infrequent workers composed around 90 percent of the never-beneficiaries. Only 5.7% of the 4% or 0.22% never receive Soc Sec benefits because they died without taking benefits.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder how much the media "touting" of waiting until 70 to retire has rubbed off onto the advisors who participated in this survey? Is there any way to measure how much it has influenced their clientele's outlook?
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #19

Quote:
FICA taxes are withheld as long as you are working. However, .... you must take benefits at age 70 even if you continue to work.
I probly shouldn't ask (and may regret it) but is there any logic or rationale to this?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Very few people don't "make it to draw benefits" - many will live beyond 70 and many others will take benefits at age 62 thru 70. **

** From SSA in 2010, less than 4% of the population aged 62–84 will never receive Soc Sec benefits. Late-arriving immigrants and infrequent workers composed around 90 percent of the never-beneficiaries. Only 5.7% of the 4% or 0.22% never receive Soc Sec benefits because they died without taking benefits.
At 19-20 years old, there are about 99% that have survived.
At 62 there are about 84% that have survived. 15% of workers don't
make it to collect their SS.
My personal observation is that this 15% number should be higher.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/LEWK3_2009.pdf