Affluent Boomers

I have BS and PhD degrees in engineering. I don't any engineers that dropped a class because they were getting a B . . . . . . . . . pre-meds on the other hand are a completely different story.

MB
:cool: but that's because of the highly competitive med school requirements. So IMO there is a logical reason for that. (no I'm not a MD)

Agree, I would have done the same if I had been pre med. A couple of Bs could prevent you from getting into med school but I have never heard of a BS engineer not getting a job because of a B in thermo or circuits of something.

MB

For med schools, you need to have an almost 4.0 GPA, perfect MCAT score, great letters of recommendation from professors, great essays and interviews, and networking. The reasons -- simply too many people want to get the big bucks or want to help people get well.

Careful now Spanky.... I have known quite a few people that have gone through medical school. And becomming a doctor does not lead to the big bucks right away like people think. First off, most doctors are staring down the barrel at 100k+ worth of loans to pay back when they start. Second, since medical school and residency take take so long 8+ years, most people are in their early 30's before they are even earning a decent paycheck. Not to say that is does not turn itself around later in life, but it is not nearly as glamourous a lifestyle as some folks think.

armor99,

They deserve their pay given the reasons that you have stated. If the pay was a lot lower, the competition to get into medical schools, IMHO, should be a lot lower.

Spanky

Careful now Spanky.... I have known quite a few people that have gone through medical school. And becomming a doctor does not lead to the big bucks right away like people think. First off, most doctors are staring down the barrel at 100k+ worth of loans to pay back when they start. Second, since medical school and residency take take so long 8+ years, most people are in their early 30's before they are even earning a decent paycheck. Not to say that is does not turn itself around later in life, but it is not nearly as glamorous a lifestyle as some folks think.

Mostly not glamorous at all, but eventually lucrative.

The M.D. is the only degree I can think of that guarantees an ordinary person a j*b. The odds of getting into med school are not good, the training is grueling , the work demanding, but if you're bright and have the stamina of a mule, you'll never have to worry about income.

This is simply not true for quant-types like engineers and physicists.
And quoting the IEEE on employment figures is like quoting the NAR on the housing market outlook.
Or, as Khrushchev once said, "Like sending a goat to tend the cabbage".

The M.D. is the only degree I can think of that guarantees an ordinary person a j*b. The odds of getting into med school are not good, the training is grueling , the work demanding, but if you're bright and have the stamina of a mule, you'll never have to worry about income.
[SIZE=-1]Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine ([/SIZE]D.O.) degree is almost as lucrative and the chance of getting into the program is easier but probably more expensive and only a handful of schools offering it. The AMA considers the D.O. degree as equivalent to the traditional M.D. degree. That is, a D.O. graduate can practice medicine and enter residency programs just like a MD.

Last edited:
The biggest cost of medical school is that debts cause you to wait until your mid-40s to start saving (at least in my circumstances - kids, parents of modest means).

The reward is that most of us like our jobs all those 35 years after training. Not a bad trade-off all in all.

Back
Top Bottom