Affordable & unaffordable real estate markets

Besides, tell me the truth...if we gave the CA legislature 5x the money we're giving them now, you think they still wouldnt find a way to spend it and still be sniffing around for more dinero?

I agree: you have to keep a lid on tax revenues as the only reasonable way to keep a lid on spending.

I was one of a handful of vocal agitators in our local city council meetings and we have elected a slate of councilpeople who are likeminded, and passed a zero-property-tax increase this past December. It's a small city, but it can be done.

Of course, the school taxes and county taxes are outside our control pretty much, and seem to have a life of their own: up about 100% in the ten years we have lived there.

We definitely know lots of people who have been 'tax-evicted' -- almost always elderly people moving out while young families move in. The only consolation is that the elderly people do get a good price for their homes when they sell, but we are going down the road of creating a "monoculture" here with only people at the peak of their careers able to comfortably afford the taxes.

I think this issue will balloon into the defining issue of our generation. I for one am preparing my exit plan to some tax-friendly or downsized country in the 10-20 year time horizon. That of course will be just about the time everybody else wants to sell, so it will be pretty uncomfortable all around, I'm guessing. But in the meantime we'll log some good years here.

Still if you own your own house free and clear, you'd think it would feel somehow like "yours". It isn't. You have the right to live there only as long as you pay the various monopolistic entities running the town that the property exists in. It might as well be theirs, and they just charge you rent. What you do on the property is your business, (construct a big house, a little house whatever) but you have to pay rent to live there.

wasn't an issue before and still isnt in many places because the numbers are still relatively tame. But it is a big issue on the coasts.

I bought my small acreage ranch in Texas Hill Country about 4 years ago at $6500 per acre on the highest ridge in the county.

II figure by 2007 - 2011 when the masses begin to retire the land will be much more valuable. Time is running out for anyone who wants to stay ahead of this curve. Buy your special place now ... do not wait much longer!
Ol Rancher & Other Central Texans REs
Better batten down the hatches. Your neighborhood just made another list of Best Places to Live. This time by the Progressive Farmer who listed the best places in rural america.
http://www.progressivefarmer.com/farmer/bestplaces/top10.html.

They have listed the top 10 which includes Gillespie County (south of Austin) ranked at number 6.

For others checking out "rural america" the site also includes the top 20 in every region.

Nwsteve

My longest tenant retired to Rankin county, Ms on the list after living in the duplex through the previous owner and ten years while I owned it.

Near to the stomping grounds of his youth.

I just want to warn everyone to ignore what these
"best places to live/retire" articles say. Texas is a terrible place. Flat, windy, rattlesnakes, fire ants, high property
taxes, lots of guns. Stay as far away as possible.

JG

Not to mention those danged texans...

JG, you failed to mention the opressive summer heat, scorpions, chiggers, ticks, and wild hogs (both 2-wheeled and 4-footed). Just look at a map...the entire state (except Austin) is red. :( A lousy place to even visit, much less think of retiring here.

REW

Gillespie County, Texas is a terrible tourist trap ... Fredricksburg is full of RV snowbirds in the winter and school kids on vacation running amok in the summer. It is the home of the $4 scoop of ice cream.

I wouldn't live there if you gave me the house. The race is on from boomers in San Antonio and Austin to pay too much for a parcel of land. I just closed on some acreage adjacent to mine and had to pay 30% more that it cost three and 1/2 years ago. I will not mention the county I am in but it borders Gillespie.

Try central Texas in August ..... Ha! even the ticks can't stand the heat. The ground cracks, the grasses are dead brown, rattle snakes and lizards chase your pets or grandkids. ... In the fall hunters shoot anything that moves. Ten acres gets you hunting rights even if you open a day care school next door. And all Texans have guns and we like to shoot 'em.

Stay where it is safe, and civilized ... Anywhere but Texas ...

Gillespie County, Texas is a terrible tourist trap ...I wouldn't live there if you gave me the house.
Ol_Rancher, you are dead on about Freddyburg. Tourist trap is an understatement. And did you click on that Progressive Farmer link and check out the two jackasses in the Gillespie County photo? :)
REW

Yes, I checked that photo out. Those two represent what is going bad in Texas. ... And just what the hell is a Progressive Farmer? .. A latte drinking executive couple who can afford to run up land prices and chase away the rural heritage that attracted them ... if they moved next to me and asked for advice on how to be a rancher so they can get an Agricultural tax exemption, I would begin shooting clips of ammo over their property line, start wearing camo clothes, hang human profile targets on the fenceline and flying the Republic of Texas flag. Yee Haw!

... if they moved next to me..., I would begin shooting clips of ammo over their property line, start wearing camo clothes, hang human profile targets on the fenceline and flying the Republic of Texas flag. Yee Haw!
All you folks considering Texas as a retirement location, give Ol_Rancher a call. He will send the welcome wagon out to greet you at the border. :D
REW

... And just what the hell is a Progressive Farmer? .. A latte drinking executive couple who can afford to run up land prices and chase away the rural heritage that attracted them
Actually they are " Greenies" (most likely from a Blue State) who think farming is about doing little but talking a lot"  I think in Texas the phrase is "all hat, no ranch"
Got to be one of the most incongrous oxymoran to be ever created by some PR flax.
Nwsteve

Actually, it's "All hat, no cattle!"

JG

That kinda reminds me of the 3 Texans in a conversation. The first one was bragging to the other 2 about having 300 acres in the hill country. The next one stated that he about 500 acres outside of San Antonio.
The 3rd. one chimed in and said, well you guys beat the heck out of me. I only have about 55 acres.
The lst. guy asked where the 55 acres were located.
"Downtown Dallas", the 3rd. replied. :)

...located in Wisconsin about 25 miles From St. Paul. Beautiful property. All Maple, Oak, Birch and Aspen. With 3 Spring fed ponds. One pond is 4 acres.

Sounds really nice CT. All you out there thinking about retiring in TX should check out the property adjoining CT's spread. No mention of fire ants, excessive property taxes or opressive heat. And the map shows Wisconsin as a brilliant shade of blue! :)

REW

Wisconsin is a liberal mecca. Not sure why. And, the
winters are awful, the ticks prolific, mosquitos as
big as pigeons, Lyme disease, mad cow disease, chronic wasting disease (no, I don't mean the legislature :) )
And, a lot of the lakes are poisoned with mercury.
Nice.

JG

Re: Affordable & unaffordable real estate marketsT

That kinda reminds me of the 3 Texans in a conversation.

Oh crap...now you've started me off on the "three texans" jokes...

Put on your protective headgear ladies and gentlemen...

Three Texans go down to Mexico one night and get drunk and wake up in jail. They found out that they are to be executed for their crimes but none of them can remember what they have done.

The first one is strapped in the electric chair and is asked if he has any last words. He says,"I am from the Baylor School of Divinity and I believe in the almighty power of God to intervene on behalf of the innocent." They throw the switch and nothing happens, so they figure God must not want this guy to die, and they let him go.

The second one is strapped in and gives his last words. "I am from the University of Texas School of Law and I believe in the eternal power of Justice to intervene on the part of the innocent." The switch is thrown and again nothing happens. They figure that the law is on this guy's side and let him go.

The last one is strapped in and says, "Well I'm a Texas Aggie Electrical Engineer, and I'll tell you right now you'll never electrocute anybody if you don't connect those two wires."

Three Texans were out hunting in Central Texas when they encountered a scantily clad young lass lounging against a tree.

"What y'all doing boys?" she inquired.

They responded, "Well ma'am, we're huntin wild game."

"Well I'm wild, and I'm game!" she replied with a coy smile.

So they shot her.

They are on the increase in the Texas Hill Country.  Too many people want to own a few acres "away from it all" but only an hour or so from Austin or San Antonio.  Don't even think about moving here.   ;)
REW

Whatever is an hour away, will be two hours in the next few years. We live 25 miles from the Austin city limits. My commute was 20 minutes two years ago, it went up to 45 min now. I expect it to be an hour in less than a year and who knows what two years from now. Don't go there if you still have a job and have to drive in when everybody else does. We will be closing on a house next week in the old central part of the city next week, I am tired of the driving/jams. I am not willling to add 2-3 hours to my workday. Things may change when I am done with the daily work grind. There are some beautiful and very affordable places near the metros out here.

Vicky

Whatever is an hour away, will be two hours in the next few years. We live 25 miles from the Austin city limits. My commute was 20 minutes two years ago, it went up to 45 min now. I expect it to be an hour in less than a year and who knows what two years from now.
More testimonial evidence of why no one should consider retiring in the Texas Hill Country.

REW

I hear houses in Pflugerville and Round Rock are going for cheap ever since Dell had layoffs and opened plants elsewhere.

I have a "retirement" spot in Texas picked out but I can't share it with anyone in the off chance that New Yorkers hear about it and make it there first. :-X

I have been to texas, and it has some very nice places, dont know about the housing prices, but as far as the rattle snakes and chiggers, well I live in michigan, and like some of the other people who live in wisconsin and other north states, I can tell you, it is beautiful in the summer,but winters are hell hell hell, any one who says I like the winters is eather crazy or lying, when it is 40 below zero, and the car wont start, and nothing wants to work, and the roads are crap. and you pass if you are lucky only a couple of roll overs on your way to where ever. and the heating bill is going throught the roof. all those that say they lover it here, I see bitching when the weather is like this. from may to oct. I love it on my 80 acres. but when the show flyes and I spend more time plowing out then sleeping, I get sick of being here, Take it from someone who lived in the south [florida] for 10 years, and michigan the rest of my 42 years, when it is feb. you dont go out and sit on your porch and have nice cigar and cup of tea, you sit in you house and cover in a blanket hoping you dont have to go to town for coffee creamer.

Hello jim young. Yep, that's the way I see it. I have lived up north (Northern Illinois, Wisc. and Michigan)
for most of my life. The winters are just awful.
We chose Texas for relief, but many other spots would do I am quite sure. Michigan is a beautiful state, but
even that couldn't get me to want to stay year round.

JG

...but winters are hell hell hell, any one who says I like the winters is eather crazy or lying, when it is 40 below zero, and the car wont start, and nothing wants to work, and the roads are crap. and you pass if you are lucky only a couple of roll overs on your way to where ever. and the heating bill is going throught the roof. all those that say they lover it here, I see bitching when the weather is like this. from may to oct. I love it on my 80 acres. but when the show flyes and I spend more time plowing out then sleeping, I get sick of being here, Take it from someone who lived in the south [florida] for 10 years, and michigan the rest of my 42 years, when it is feb. you dont go out and sit on your porch and have nice cigar and cup of tea, you sit in you house and cover in a blanket hoping you dont have to go to town for coffee creamer.

Amen Baby, yours is the voice of reality. Stay around here, you are needed.

Mikey

I hear houses in Pflugerville and Round Rock are going for cheap ever since Dell had layoffs and opened plants elsewhere.

I have a "retirement" spot in Texas picked out but I can't share it with anyone in the off chance that New Yorkers hear about it and make it there first. :-X

We shared the cost of a private investigator. Pretty nice spot but not for us. We just sold the info to New Jersey REs. They're on the way.

BUM

Back
Top Bottom