Aflac Accident Indemnity insurance too good to be true?

dvalley

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know very little about medical insurance since I rarely go to the dr. only when I can barely get up to walk is when I think about going in. However, recently doing some house DIY projects I threw my back out pretty good, once you hit 40s you start to realize the body just can't handle bumps and bruises that well. Anyway, I was in severe pain and I figured a chiro would be the quickest option to get relief short of 1200mg of ibuprofin. Long story short, the chiro office checked the insurance and said since I have a high deductible HSA plan unless my deductible is met which is pretty high it won't cover the costs. I used cash. She then recommended Aflac for future visits saying it's really good and no long term contracts and several of their patients with HSA type plans use it. She said it'll be about $50 a month and they will cover their $60 chiro sessions with 0 deductible?

Does anyone have any experience or have any thoughts? May be it's been discussed before but sounds like a great option for those with high deductible insurance, no?

https://www.aflac.com/prospecting/accident-insurance.aspx

So sorry to hear about your back at such a young age. And I'm sorry that you're one of the victims of the ACA. You are at the age in life where you should be periodically seeing a doctor and getting yearly physicals including chest x-rays. Your family should be important enough for you to take better care of yourself.

Most individuals don't realize that disability insurance is actually more important than their life insurance as it's used when there is actually a need. I worked for MegaCorp, and we were furnished with short term disability before going on Social Security disability. But anyone that doesn't have the fringe benefits should by all means buy a disability insurance policy like what's offered by AFLAC.

All insurance isn't created equal....
I would question the need of "accident" insurance after becoming middle aged. Personally, $50 a month spent on accident only insurance, over the dozen years that we had a high deductible HSA (pre-medicare) would have resulted in throwing away about $12-15K on premiums without a single use.

Most individuals don't realize that disability insurance is actually more important than their life insurance as it's used when there is actually a need. I worked for MegaCorp, and we were furnished with short term disability before going on Social Security disability. But anyone that doesn't have the fringe benefits should by all means buy a disability insurance policy like what's offered by AFLAC.
True, but it needs to be true disability income insurance, not just accident only. Most of the larger life insurance companies offer it-check with your agent.

Thanks all...I guess the sales pitch from the dr office was that since this is month to month I could use it to pay for the chiro visits and then cancel it. I'm really not convinced that I would continue going to the chiro after a couple of more sessions but I thought this could be a good gap medical insurance and thought I'd ask here if others are familiar with Aflac or similar or have any gotchas to share.

Back
Top Bottom