Join Early Retirement Today

After tax 401 and back door Roth
Old 05-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

After tax 401 and back door Roth

My brain hurts
I've read a bunch of threads looking for the answer so pardon me if I missed it.
I've done a back door Roth the last two years, $6,500 each time, I've been putting in the 5% max after tax in my 401 k for about 9-12 months .
Does the fact that I've max out the Roth for the year matter with the $6500
Contribution? I assume these are too different " events" the back door and then the up to six in service withdrawals of after tax contributions to the 401 that get transferred from Fidelity over to my Roth at Vanguard .

Saving money was much simpler when I had a paper route
I do make a bit more now though.

Any help would be appreciated !
sayhey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let me see if I can throw out a few rules and see if it clarifies things for you:

All your IRA's are treated together for your yearly IRA contribution limit.

All your 401k's are also treated together for your yearly 401k contribution limit(s) (ie job change mid year).

The contribution limits for the IRAs are independent than those of the 401k's.

That all being said, Conversions and Rollovers are not considered contributions and are only limited in how often you can do them (depending on how they are done) but not by the dollar amount.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks Gauss
I was hoping you'd reply as you've appeared to be an expert on this topic in other threads. Now if I can convince my accountant!
sayhey24 is offline   Reply With Quote